1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small speakers and amp for bedroom?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Pezerinno, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi, I have at last got the main hi-fi sorted and would now like to have one in the bedroom. I'm lacking space so would like small bookshelves which work ok when positioned near walls. I also need an intergrated amplifier and some stands for the speakers. Would like to buy second hand as hoping to be around the £300 mark. I was thinking of the Monitor Audio B1 speakers or Epos ELS3 coupled with (if I can find one cheap enough) Rotel RA-02 or possibly MF X-80. Failing that maybe a cambridge audio 540A, NAD C320BEE or even Arcam A65+.

Do you think any of the above would suit?

Thanks, Nick.

2. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Nick,

The NAD C320BEE and Monitor Audio B1 speakers seem to be a very highly regarded combination. I got my NAD C320BEE yesterday and am very pleased with the quality - a massive difference from my old Yamaha AV receiver!

3. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi nsherin! You replied to my other post but there have been slight change of plans - was oringally going to put another system in the study but decided to wack it in the bedroom now which means smaller space. One of the reasons I'm building another system (albeit small budget) is I have a seprate Dac, also one more reason I've deicded to have a second system in the bedroom (instead of study) is I already have a dvd player in the bedroom which I can use as the transport.

Can I ask what speakers you are using with the NAD amp? I'm attracted to the MA B1's due to their small size (especially depth wise - which will mean I can leave a few inches behind for them to 'breath') and also good looks. I don't need a lot of power as the room is pretty small so a budget amp/speakers should cope ok. Do you think the B1's will suit being close to the rear walls? Also they will only be just over 1 metre apart - will that be ok?

One more thing, are there any speaker stands that are fairly cheap but also not to heavy looking if you know what I mean? As I've alrready said the B2's are quite small so I don't want the stand to look out of place/look to big in the room.

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers guys. Nick.

4. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Nick,

I would consider the kef q1's too, A: cos they're being replaced so available on the cheap B: front ported so they work close to walls without any probs. C: they cute
    D:they sound pretty good too.

5. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi Harv, I have looked at the Kef Q1's however for some reason I really dislike the looks of them (no idea why?) also they are 4cms deeper. I will probably try and demo them but I doubt I'll go with them.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Nick.

6. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Nick,

Firstly, speaker-wise, I'm using a pair of Mission m70s - I've had them for about 3 years. I was very impressed and still am with the sound you get from such a small speaker. Tight, punchy bass and plenty of detail. If partnered with 'bright' sounding gear such as Rotel, Marantz or Sony amps, they can sound a bit fatiguing, but parterned with a warm sounding amp, such as the NAD, they really excel. These are small bookshelf speakers that don't take up too much room at all. The B1s should do the job pretty well, I think. My Mission's are about 3 inches away from the wall and are about 17" apart - my 17" TFT monitor is right between them. In terms of power, the NAD should cope with those without any problems. If you need additional power, you can always use the C320BEE as a pre-amp and add a C372 power amp later on. I bought my amp from Now That's HiFi in Arundel Street, Portsmouth. The chaps there are very friendly and helpful. Going to get the NAD PP-2 pre-amp to replace my cheap B-Tech phono pre-amp from them next month to use with my Pro-Ject Debut II.

Stands, I can't really advise on, I'm afraid, as I've got no room for them, so haven't looked into buying any. Atacama or Partington seem to have a good name though. Mission used to also do their own Stancette's for about 60 quid. Not sure if they still do them now. Of course you can always mass-load a light stand with sand.

Neil

7. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a NAD3020e for sale. Ideal for a bedroom. Its a separates amp with rca inputs. Only spring clip speaker connections.
    Its a nice sound and cheap.

8. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Whats the difference between the NAD3020e and the C320BEE?

9. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I'm now more tempted with going for a MF X-80 and Epos ELS3 - would this be a good combo??

10. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    My main system is MF xrays etc, but the bedroom has a denon m31 and MA B1's. It sounds pretty good for less than £300, the speakers are on 100cm atacama stands and due to the distance apart, I've reversed the phase of one of the speakers and the soundstage is fantastic, although locating precise positions of instruments varies!!

All in all though as I spend less than 20% of listening time with that system its more than adequate. Try a demo - you'd be surprised at how good the wee dm31 can be.