1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small speaker/Sub-sat system

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by planbeta, Jun 9, 2002.

1. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Still trying to figure out which system to get, ideally I would like something like the KEF Q1's but these are too big for my room. As an alternative I am considering five M&K K-5's and a Rel q150. Is this any good? Or would it be better to get the kef eggs?

Ta! :p

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having heard both the Kef eggs and the M&K's, there is a vast difference. In short, the M&K's blow the Eggs away, expecially if partnered with a REL. However, they do cost quite a bit more. If you have that kind of budget and absolutely need small speakers, then the M&K's are about the best you can get.

3. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  4. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I'm in the same situation.I listened to the Kef eggs yesterday and was pretty impressed.My other choice is the Energy Take 5's.
    Both pretty compact.

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I listened to the K5's which I would have loved but were out of my budget at the time. I actually bought the Energy Take 5's in the end which are very good, especially as they are some of the smallest speakers around. But quite honestly - the M&K's were way ahead. The Kef Eggs produced a different kind of sound than the Energy's and the M&K's and were also very good. However, I just don't like the styling of the Eggs as they would have stood out way too much in my room. They're also not actually that small compared to the Energy's.

You really need to listen for yourself and make up your own mind. Assuming you can afford it, buy whatever sounds best to you. :)

6. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Groundy,
    I've listened to the Take 5's also.To be honest i think the Kef eggs sound slightly better,but i'm not so keen on the styling,and they are abit more expensive.
    How long have you had the Take 5's.My only criticism is that there seems a lot of bass,maybe that was the set-up in the shop though.
    They are nice and compact.

Paul

btw....will probably be buying the Take 5's tomorrow.

7. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    paulr what's your speaker budget?

8. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I have a Denon 1602.Budget,about £600 ish.

btw...anyone know a cheaper place than Sevenoaks to get the Take 5's.£599.

9. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For that budget the two you suggested (kef kht 2005 or Energy 5's) seem your best choice, there are also the missions fs2 which are supposed to be ok too...

Personally I'm tempted by the M&K K5's $149/£175 each and a rel sub which is offers better sound but obviously costs more. I'm not to keen on the kef eggs either, they stand out a little too much for my liking...

10. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    The FS2's i dont like the design.........its them flat panel ones i think.
    The M+K's....how much for the whole package?...are they small?
    Have you listened to any yet, i find some hi-fi shops not very accomodating on that front.
    Also mine is for TV only.
    basically i'm going tomorrow to get either the kefs or Energy,prob Energy.

11. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Paul:

I didn't think the Kef Eggs sounded noticeably better than than the Take 5's, but they did sound "different", probably due to the Uni-Q design. They were a lot more vocal and upfront but I felt the Take 5's had a nicer balance. They're certainly not too bassy as this would be one criticism I have of them, but this is to be expected with speakers that are not considered "full-range". I expect the shop where you had your demo had the bass balance contol too high in order to try and "Impress" potential customers. I've had mine almost a year now and they do get better after a good running-in period.

I also got mine from Sevenoaks but bought an ex-demo set with the upgraded S8.2 sub for £499. They had only been used about 3 time and were in perfect condition with the full two year warranty (standard from Energy). I would suggest you check out the different Sevenoaks branches as they usually have a few Take 5 systems on ex-demo. You can check each branches monthly specials on their website.

Last bit of adive would be to buy whatever sounded best to you and try and ignore cosmetic factors. However with the Eggs having such an unconventional "look-at-me" styling, they simply won't suit certain rooms. :)

12. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Groundy.........i agree about going for the best sounding,but as you say,theyre just so unconventional.
    Like i said,the Take 5's are also a bit cheaper.....i think that will swing it.

.One thing i've learnt looking for home cinema is hi-fi shops try and sell you the one system they have set up.Not like when i bought my main hi-fi speakers (a pair of Tannoys) then i spent about 2 hours swapping them all around,in the end buying the ones that sounded the best.Home cinema is a lot harder,its not always practical to compare.speakers and systems.

Anyway......in the end,there's probably not much in it.The Kefs do sound good though.
    My only other point is my amp 1602 is at the lower end of the range