• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Small speaker query

philofcas

Established Member
Hello all,

Straight to the question and it's an easy one me thinks:

If a small speaker (Kef Egg) has a frequency response of 120Hz - 22kHz and the bass from subwoofers is directional above 80hz then do you have to position the sub centrally at the front ?

I'll take 'yes' for an answer but i'll also take an extended answer too !! :D

Thanks all.

(Could I be cheeky and ask for peoples opinions on the cheapest Kef egg, the KHT 1005.2 Satellites, are they up to much ?, i'm thinking about them due to WAF/cheapness)

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
The answer is yes and for the reasons you state although how noticeable the effect is can vary depending on how clean the subwoofer output is and weird room based effects. I've found it perfectly possible to locate my sub when placed on the right of my room, whilst the mirror image position on the left suffers no such problems. Due to the 80Hz crossover, it's probably some sort of psycho acoustic effect rather than pure directionality, but that's subs for you - no real fixed rules.

As to the KEF Eggs, I'd take a long hard look at the Cantons available through the speaker forum powerbuys. Canton were demoing at the Bristol Show a couple of years ago and theirs was one of the few rooms that provided a genuinely pleasant surprise - the sound was comfortably better than that of my old MkI KHT-2005 Eggs which cost considerably more, albeit a long while back.

IIRC it was the Movie 150QX system which can be had for £370 here.

Russell

philofcas

Established Member
Thanks Russ., i ask because of 2 factors really, it looks like i'll only ever get clearance (off her indoors) for 'small' speakers and i have quite limited options for the location of a sub, as it stands now it's looking likely that the sub would have to be positioned to the right hand side of the main listening position, not at the front near the TV. Though if small speakers then gave me sub location probs i'd have to maybe rethink. I'm trying to investigate this prior to buying anything as i'd hate to buy something then find i had a sub location problem that then would have me either changing the room layout or changing the equipment.

I'm thinking along the lines of 'small' satellites linked with BK 200/SVS 12+, the KEF eggs certainly have the looks but i've never heard them (or indeed any 'small' speaker), though i'd be reasonably comfortable buying something unheard if they had rave reviews from people who own them.
You don't happen to know if the Canton sats would be available seperately ?, leaving me free to choose my own sub.

Thanks very much.

jchastain

Standard Member
I would add in another solid option is to have 2 subs. That will give you a lot more flexibility in your placement options. While the 80-120 Hz range is beginning to become directional, it isn't as if you hit a certain threshhold and everything changes. At these levels, the directionality it isn't at all precise so multiple sources is another method of solving your problem and might give you an alternative that is more visually appealing without compromising sound quality.

iainsilvester

Established Member
If a small speaker (Kef Egg) has a frequency response of 120Hz - 22kHz and the bass from subwoofers is directional above 80hz then do you have to position the sub centrally at the front ?

Only if you assume all the deep bass is screen centric. Unfortunately this isn't the case, If your deeper bass is directional aircraft entering from rear stage (eg Pearl Harbour) will be located (higher frequencies) by your rears, but their engines wonderful sound will be predominantly in front.

philofcas

Established Member
They are indeed available separately through the speaker forums powerbuy.

Russell

i've been plucking up courage to tell you Russ., Jake answered this on the powerbuy thread, he said they couldn't split system's, so the answer was no. His 'computer says no' :)

philofcas

Established Member
Only if you assume all the deep bass is screen centric. Unfortunately this isn't the case, If your deeper bass is directional aircraft entering from rear stage (eg Pearl Harbour) will be located (higher frequencies) by your rears, but their engines wonderful sound will be predominantly in front.

thanks Iain, it's more complicated than i first presumed, i suppose the proof would be in the pudding, hopefully not too many months away, though a leaky roof has put things back a tad

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
i've been plucking up courage to tell you Russ., Jake answered this on the powerbuy thread, he said they couldn't split system's, so the answer was no. His 'computer says no' :)
I didn't think they would split systems, but they do offer separate speakers for sale. It would appear I was incorrect in assuming these were the same speakers as were present in the packages though. Sorry.

Russell

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom