Small speaker package Kef 1005 vs Mission FS1

mike.hutch

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm after a set of small speakers and have narrowed it down to either the Kef 1005 of Mission FS1 systems. I've chosen these really for the small centre that can go in front of my plasma screen.

I know it would be best to listen to both, but as the Mission are discontinued and only available on ebay I can't do that, and I can't really get to anywhere that sells the Kefs either.

So, it's just reviews and owners opinions. Has anyone here heard both by any chance?

I don't listen to music on this system much, just normal TV and movies. I don't have it very loud either. The amp is a Denon AVR1707. Oh, and if it makes a difference, the sub has to go about 4 metres away from the TV, under where I want to but the left surround.

The most important speaker of the whole system is the centre which gives the vocal detail of any movie, now if you are looking for a good system try looking at this one, and do remember it does come with all that expensive speaker cable, they come in silver or maple. http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/mordaunt_short_avant_premiere.shtml
The speakers are very small and give a great sound, there is loads of glowing reports on them on this site.
The sub is the 308 on this link http://www.mordauntshort.com/content.php?COID=25 but as you can see the dimensions are very small.

Thanks for the reply, that looks like a nice system actually, but I want a really small centre that will sort of 'blend in' with the plasma.

I actually have a cheap Sony system at the moment which is about the same size as that and I'm actually quite happy with the sound really, it just doesn't look very nice!

The Jamo A102HCS5 package seems to be getting favourable reviews from What Hi-Fi and forum members.

Been considering them myself as I'd prefer something that doesn't dominate the room, though I suppose mid-range will suffer when compared to standmount or floorstanding speakers.

It's won this year's What Hi-Fi Best Style Package Under £500 award, taking it from the Kef 1005 that won it last year. Was hoping to see the review they've done in the November's issue where according to the editor who frequents the What Hi-fi forums they compare favourably with the Kef 1005s, but WH Smith are still stocking the October issue even though November's has supposedly been out since the 20th September. :suicide:

For under 200 notes (£172 @ Lambda-tek, though it's currently out of stock) I'm wondering if they're too cheap and will be a dissapointment, though I don't particularly want to spend £500+ on speakers just yet so could upgrade them next year if need be when funds allow.

The Jamo system looks pretty nice, I'm not sure if the centre is small enough though, I'd like to see it in the flesh first. Also, I would really like the centre in black and the rest in white!

i had the kef 1005's and was very happy with them!

I think you need to thread carefully, as a I said in my previous post to you the Centre is the single most important speaker in any surround sound system. How small a centre do you need, I would have said the Morduant Short centre has one of the smallest profiles going. It is only 4.4" high x 11.1" wide x 5.2" deep.

I know the centre is important, but I think with a sub/sat system I prefer all the speakers to be the same, as with the Kefs and Missions I'm looking at.

The Missions are so slim as they are NXT speakers, but I've never heard any speakers of this type. The Kefs are just small speakers.

In an ideal world I've have a full size centre with floorstanding mains, which I have had before, but I'm not that fussy these days, I just want something that sounds OK and looks OK.

My cousin has the mission FS1 package and although he is happy with the sound i'd not touch them with a bargepole. Very thin sounding and the Bass is cut VERY high and sent to the sub.

I've not heard the small kefs but would seriously imagine them to blow the missions out of the water. Could your budget not strech to the 2005.2 which i used to own and was happy with for fims.

My cousin has the mission FS1 package and although he is happy with the sound i'd not touch them with a bargepole. Very thin sounding and the Bass is cut VERY high and sent to the sub.

I've not heard the small kefs but would seriously imagine them to blow the missions out of the water. Could your budget not strech to the 2005.2 which i used to own and was happy with for fims.

I would agree with all of that. Althoguh the Kef KHT1005s do nothing for me either, they are still in a different league to the Mission FS1s which are utterly atrocious.

I'm also considering a new amp and speaker set up. My current Sony all in one is very good, but lacks something. I'm also after keeping the minimalistic thing going, small and not intrusive, similar to the OP...

I foolishly (because it'll dent my wallet!) listened to a set of Mordaunt Short Genie's hooked up to an Onkyo 605 / Tosh HD DVD in Richersounds recently and was blown away... The Genies are very small and very similar in size to my Sony's. So I'm considering these..... Amp and speakers is around £900 :eek:

Something else to consider maybe?

Just not sure wether to start getting black equipment now as things are changing. My Sky, DVD and Xbox are black, but TV is Silver / black (PX60 Panny) along with the speakers and stands....

Dragon beat me to it, go with canton!!!!:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom