Small sized 5.1 package but good quality

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by riske, Feb 20, 2013.

1. riske

riske
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a new house so new system is my plan. Now I have the Onkyo 414 AV and 2 bookshelf speakers atm and I am trying to match a nice 5.1 speaker system for it. Now my girlfriend doesn't like the look of speakers all around the room but I have managed to agree on getting small satillite speakers and a sub. Something like Cambridge Audio Lusso 20's or Minx's.

You're probably all :facepalm: but I need some advice and suggestions. Been to Richer Sounds and heard the Tannoy SFXs and CA Minx set up but is the £300 difference justified? Will I hear the difference in my relatively small front room 3.5mx3.5m :confused: TV 80%, movies 5%, music 5% and also the ps3. Obviously can't wack the volume up all the time as its a terraced house.

What would you do with £400 to spend? I don't just want to spend £400 for the sake of it but want best bang for buck. Has to be small speakers!

Much appreciated and i welcome your abuse...

2. mr steve

mr steve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have problems getting decent sound out of my surround sound system from TV / sky. I have the sfx5.1 speakers on an old sony amp. My room is the same size as yours and am happy with the speakers when watching films on blu ray or sky movies but am thinking of buying the 414 amp to improve the set up. Would you recommend this amp? Richer sounds have the amp for £180 so I am going to hold fire on upgrading the system as over all I am pleased with the tannoys for a budget set up.

Have you upgraded your speakers yet? I would be interested on what you or others think of the speaker amp combination.

3. riske

riske
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went with Cambridge Audio 5.1 set up - 4 Minx 11s and 1 Minx 21 for centre.

Overall the sound is awesome but need to find out what the best setting is on the 414 for regular TV and PS3.

I would recommend the 414 as its a good bit of kit for the price however i havent tried any other AV's.

4. nenito2k

nenito2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    riske...why would anyone need 5.1 for simple TV programs ??? hell most of them are not even in real 5.1 !

as info the best compact speakers on the planet are:

Focal Sib & Cub 3
    Tannoy h101 or SFX
    Wharfedale DX1
    Mass monitor audio
    CA Minx
    Jamo A200 HCS5 (but very few have these...)

and a couple of others...

5. mr steve

mr steve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I watch a lot of sky sports and the sound is so bad I am better off with my tv speakers. I also find with some movies on sky the voices are too low and the effects too high, so I am forever reaching for the remote. I believe some amps now have a dolby neutraliser if that is the right term to help prevent this problem. When I am watching blu rays with dts master audio via hdmi it sounds great. I know dts ma is a better format but I suppose what I am saying is I need better balance and performance with dolby digital broadcasts.

6. riske

riske
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i find that on TV i just switch it to All Channel Stereo...