Small screen for settings

Dobbyisfree

Hi all,
I have a Denon AVR-x4400. Other than being aware that it has more than one HDMI out, I am pretty ignorant as to what I can do with it.
Is it possible to use a small little screen, e.g. somewhere between 6" to 10", that shows the AVR settings and volume etc but leaving the TV to show the picture? I am writing this question on the projectors forum as I am hoping you are experts in this.
I currently output from one HDMI only to a TV in 4k HDR (and DV where possible).
Please can you let me know if this can be done, and how, and if possible what small screens would be available to do this?
Thanks.

Dobbyisfree

I forgot to say, if the answer is "stop being lazy mate, this has been answered so many times already" please can you point me to an answer? I have searched as well as I can and can't find anything. Thank you.

3rdignis

I doubt it, all 3 hdmi output the same except one has audio return channel.

Plug 2/3 outputs into tv HDMI 1,2,3 and see for yourself.

Dobbyisfree

Thanks @3rdignis for your reply. But if I plug them into TV (which is impractical anyway as it is a 10m HDMI) then I won't be able to view the HDMI outputs concurrently.

That's why I am asking people on here with projectors, as I am sure I have seen them with little tiny screens that they use for settings.

alebonau

Distinguished Member
Hi all,
I have a Denon AVR-x4400. Other than being aware that it has more than one HDMI out, I am pretty ignorant as to what I can do with it.
Is it possible to use a small little screen, e.g. somewhere between 6" to 10", that shows the AVR settings and volume etc but leaving the TV to show the picture? I am writing this question on the projectors forum as I am hoping you are experts in this.
I currently output from one HDMI only to a TV in 4k HDR (and DV where possible).
Please can you let me know if this can be done, and how, and if possible what small screens would be available to do this?
Thanks.

I run dual screens and always have.. and run 3 gen of denon - marantz processing... and yes you can run dual screens... ie use the dual hdmi monitor out....

there are some BIG watch outs though...

firstly with the dual out the avr/processor has no choice but to do lowest common denominator...

so if your little monitor is no DV capable ... then no your main monitor will not get DV ... same goes with HDR.. not HDR hdmi 2.0 capable... then no you will just get SDR on both and not 4k if both are not upto spec..

also you cannot i dont think jsut send setting info just to the 2nd little monitor either.. as it will display on both ... if you hit the info button...

so no in principle while can run two displays... its not going to be much use to you i dont think...

the dual display is really for setup such as mine where i use a TV for everyday sort of watching and projector gets fired up for larger screen things ... movies, sport, concerts... olympics :D and such ... even in this situation ... auto/dual out can be a bother... so i myself jsut use the monitor button so make sure its either only on monitor out for when feeding TV and monitor 2 for when projector.. because TVs like sony... seem to poll EVEN when switched off :D so you can get strange interactions via hdmi... this is even with CEC(bravia link) hdmi control and such all turned off...

one other option is app's web versions of controls and settings on your denon ? here you just pull up the web interface on say a little screen (iPad) - simply type in the mac address on your browser and will bring up. check if your 4400 is compatible with the denon app.. as that is also an option can just fire up the app and look at settings etc and even control over the web...

personally not a fan of web control on EVERY brand have seen this .. its laggy and not really a great way..but good to see and save settings and such...the IR remote is just better way to go...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom