1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Room, Big Home Cinema

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by AgentCool, May 30, 2005.

1. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    My bedroom Home Cinema system is finally complete. It's taken a long time to save up for this stuff and plan it out but here it is...

[​IMG]

The cost in total to set up this system was as follows:

Panasonic TX-26LXD500 LCD TV: £1000 (February 2006) from NuWay (Local Dealer)

Absolutely phenomenal performance all-round from this TV. Even the Sky+ looks great!

Toshiba HD-E1 DVD/HD DVD/CD Player: £307 (March 2007) from Amazon.co.uk

This is connected to the receiver and runs at 1080i. The picture from HD DVDs is truly superb.

Denon AVR-2805 AV Receiver: £532 (May 2005) from Sevenoaks Hull on a Price Match with Peter Tyson

Brilliant decoding and amplification creating a powerful room-filling sound. Not hard given the small size of the room but definitely recommended. The receiver is also used as a video switcher and is connected to the TV using a QED component cable.

[​IMG]

Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCP: £499 (May 2005) from Sevenoaks Hull
    Includes: 2 sets of Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 Stereo Speakers, 1 Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 CC Centre Speaker and 1 Wharfedale Diamond 9 SW150 Subwoofer

An excellent 5.1 setup. Really can't see how it could be any better!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Microsoft Xbox 360 Premium: £280 (December 2005) from Dixons Online

Looks fantastic through the component connection at 720p. The games are great and truly look next-gen. This is connected to the Receiver using the official component cable and also using a Toslink optical cable.

Nintendo Wii: £180 (December 2006) from Gameplay

Another excellent console that actually works really well despite the smallness of my room. It is connected to the receiver using the official component cable at 480p.

Sony PlayStation 3: £350 inc. game and BD disc (June 2007) from Ian Goodes aka Spoonman2

I mainly bought this for playing Blu-ray discs but I'm currently using it as my main standard DVD upscaling player and will probably buy the odd exclusive game for it as well. Great PQ all round. This is connected to the TV using an HDMI cable at 720p/1080i.

Sky+: £199 (June 2004) from Sky

What did I do without this? Pressing the 'record' button has become a habit; I'm watching programmes now that I normally wouldn't have! Connected to the TV using a JVC RGB Scart cable.

QED HDMI-P Cable: £36 from eBay

QED P-CV1 Component Cable: £35 from eBay

QED Qunex OT Toslink Optical Cable: £25 from Sevenoaks Hull

2 x Toslink Optical Cable: £6 x 2 = £12 from Maplin Electronics & eBay

JVC RGB Scart Cable: £10 from Dixons

29 metres of QED Silver Micro Speaker Cable: £3.50 x 29 = £101.50 from Sevenoaks Hull

QED Qontour Sub Cable: £40 from Sevenoaks Hull

20 x IXOS 206 Banana Plugs: £2 x 20 = £40 from Sevenoaks Hull (Half-Price Discount for buying loads of stuff from them!!)

Logitech Harmony H655 Universal Remote Control: £70 from Dixons online

Tempered Glass AV Rack: £70 from Argos

IKEA TRETTIOEN White LED Lights: £21 from IKEA (Thanks to Mark Grant)

There are a few other things that can (sort of) be seen on these pictures that aren't necessarily part of the home cinema...

Self-Built Custom Desktop PC (AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, ASRock 939SLI-eSATA2 Motherboard, 1024MB DDR-RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, nVidia GeForce 7600GT 256MB PCI-Express, Dual-Layer DVD-RAM/-R/-RW/+R/+RW Drive, SoundBlaster Audigy, 8 USB 2.0 Ports, 2 FireWire Ports, Windows XP Home Edition SP2): £500 (July 2006)

Built this computer myself after 5 years of hard-labour from the old Medion. It's not really top-of-the-range but it'll play Half-Life 2, Civ 4 and Prey perfectly. It is connected to the TV with a DVI-VGA cable and outputs at 1360x768 resolution.

Acer Aspire 5051AWXMi Laptop (AMD Turion 64 2Ghz, 1024MB DDR2-RAM, 60GB HDD, Dual-Layer DVD-RW Super-Multi Drive, 5-in-1 Memory Card Reader, 3 USB 2.0 Ports, 14.1" TFT, 802.11b/g WLAN, Windows Vista Home Basic): £400 (March 2007) from eBuyer

This was purchased as a slightly less portable replacement for my Pocket PC and it's truly excellent. I still can't believe it was only £400 given its decent speed and functionality.

Rio Carbon 5GB: £125 (June 2005) from Amazon.co.uk

Why spend ridiculous amounts of money on an iPod when you can get a Rio Carbon for less? That was my train of thought when I bought this and never regretted it. Three of my friends bought iPods at around the same time which have all since died or developed a fault; my Carbon is working as well as the day I bought it. Too bad they don't make these anymore!

Netgear DG834 Wireless ADSL Modem/Router (May 2004) from Amazon.co.uk

This is my house's sole internet access point. It provides wired 2MB broadband to my computer and my Xbox 360 and wireless broadband to 2 other computers, my Wii and my laptop.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    A very tidy arrangement although the TV looks a little precarious! :eek:
    Any chance of providing your actual room dimensions? I can get half an idea from the pictures but they won't tell the whole story. :)

3. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    The room is about 4m x 5m with the bigger side being that which the TV is on. I had the same thoughts about the stability of the TV when I got it but it's 2/3rds on the desk and weighs about 40kgs so not too much chance of it falling off. I'm always cautious about it though! The problem is the computer really which I need though I think a laptop would be more space conscious. Having said that I did have a laptop instead for about 2 weeks but it died through overheating!

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    That room is never 4mx5m! :nono:
    If it's your own desk you could bolt a big piece of wood or some other support to the top of it at the TV edge which may help with the precariousness, alternatively you could try a shelf bracket at the far end if you're worried about it. :)

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    wow you have the same PC as me! i thought no one else had it! medion? 2.53ghz p4? mines lasted forever, and its still high end! ps nice room, its tough to get everything in the right place and still move about, we've all been there!

6. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Your disbelief as to the size of my room led me to actually measure it for the first time in the 17 years I've lived in there. You were absolutely right. It is in fact 2.4m x 2.2m, way smaller than I thought it was. I suppose after all those years things look a little bigger than they are! I have added extra pictures showing the room-dominating wardrobes, the box I keep all my DVDs in (I keep the boxes in the wardrobe which is almost full) and the excellent Logitech Harmony H655 remote I control the whole system with. Even at £70 this is a steal as it's by far the best remote I've ever used as it controls all the components as though they are one big system, turning things on and off with only one button press. I've set it up so that I can easily put the DVD player on Pure Direct mode for when I'm playing CDs and I've added 'Play Xbox' and 'Play GameCube' activities so I don't need to remember what input they are on the Amp.

P.S. The computer is a Medion that I got from PC World about 4 years ago with a cheap (£299 was cheap at the time) Proview LCD Monitor. It's one of the earlier 1.9Ghz models though I upgraded the RAM to 512mb and recently put in a new ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card. Next to that is a Netgear DG834 Wireless ADSL Modem/Router which I have the PC and Xbox connected to via CAT5 and it also feeds Broadband to 2 other computers elsewhere in the house wirelessly.

And as you'd expect, it can get pretty warm in the room during the summer months (33 celcius was the record last year according to the electronic thermometer on the wall) though in winter it is surprisingly cold (as low as 14 celcius) even when the equipment has been on for a while!

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Good stuff, those dimensions are far more reaslistic. :D
    It wasn't too hard to guess considering that the room I'm using at the moment is only about 3mx3m, check my gallery and you can see the difference in space between the walls. Lots of people seem to love those Harmony remotes, I may have to consider replacing my Marantz remote at this rate to help ease domestic integration with other users. :)

8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    mark i see your another one who has something on top of their amp, does it get really hot? i get scared leaving 2 inches room, every time i raise the amp up i chicken out and take watever was underneath it out again! Why dont they put fans in these things...

9. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    The Amp doesn't really get hot at all compared to the DVD player which really does get hot. However, it did this before I got the Amp when it was just sat on its own.

10. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Got my setup 100% complete now. The finishing touch was the LED lights behind the set for the 'Ambilight' effect.

Really happy with my bedroom HC!

11. Jon Boy

Jon Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Looks very nice mate , may i ask how old you are? when i lived with my parents the most i could afford was a 28" goodmans crt lololol

Also i have that same keyboard and mouse heheheh

Jon

12. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I'm nearly 21 but been working part-time in Sainsbury's for nearly 3 years. When anyone asks how I afford all this stuff being a university student I tell them the truth; I don't spend any money on booze. Some of the people I know spend hundreds on the stuff every year. I bought all of this stuff from hard-earned cash. I didn't even use any student loan because I don't get it!

13. Jon Boy

Jon Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    20 yrs old!! Fair play mate , i was just getting into seprates at your age , now i'm 25 and just got my own place so am working to wards building my first h.c!

Jon

14. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Yeah it's taken me about 3 years to get it to this level which is as far as I'm probably going to take it. I've basically been buying cheaper stuff then selling it and upgrading it gradually. I had a Toshiba CRT for 2 years then bought the Panasonic LCD when I had more money saved up. The same goes for the sound setup. It started as an AIWA Hi-Fi, then became an Acoustic Energy Aego 5 before finally ending up with what I've got now. The same even applies to the DVD player. Went from using the Xbox to a Panasonic DVD/VCR combi then to a Pioneer 575 then to the Denon 2910.

15. kingcobbler

kingcobbler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Great little system for your age. Its taken me about 18 years to get to my current set-up (see sig) and my Dad's old saying of spend a bit save a bit really is the only way to do it.

Reminds me I must take some pics and create one of these galleries.

16. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I've added some more pictures so you can now see the speakers. I thought it was a bit stupid to omit them from the gallery given they cost me £500. You can see that the rears are very close together whereas the fronts are very far apart. However, I have tweaked the settings so the surround effect is absolutely perfect. A good test of this is the second track on the 'War of the Worlds Musical' Super Audio CD when the cylinder is unscrewing. If the panning effect of the unscrewing sound transfers around the room seemlessly then you know you've got it spot on.

17. Boothy

Boothy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ive seen this before but with a samsung tv? what happend to that?

18. ghost-dog

ghost-dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the refresh rate is on the LCD? 8ms?
    Do games play well on it?
    Do you use a VGA to VGA connection for the PC?
    What res do you use for windows?

19. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Nice setup :smashin:

Steve

20. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Sorry for the delay in answers; haven't checked this thread for a while.

I sent the Samsung TV back because it had an irritating 'white flash' problem whereby a flashing white line would randomly appear at the top of the screen. To be honest, I'm glad I took in back and paid the £300 extra for the Panasonic because it's an all-round superior TV. Sky through RGB scart is better than CRT in my opinion, DVDs through HDMI are never short of stunning and Xbox 360, Xbox and GameCube through component are all amazing.

From a gaming point of view this TV is excellent. I have no problem with it whatsoever. The quoted response time is 14ms but don't let that put you off, I have yet to see any blurring to any noticable extent.

I have my computer connected VGA-to-VGA at 1360x768 resolution. It takes a bit of time to get it looking right (say 20-30 minutes) but the results are pretty decent. The only concern I have is there is a small amount of yellow colour bleed around fonts and other black lines. It doesn't particularly bother me but I could see it being a problem for some people. The strange thing is it doesn't affect all fonts so it may be the cable I'm using (£4 from eBay).

21. TekHousE

TekHousE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    take the sticker off the TV..

22. ghost-dog

ghost-dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree, it's worth paying the extra £300 for a seemingly more reliable item.
    Gaming is indeed excellent! 14ms? seems more like 8! CSS is perfect and even games running at 1024x768 (e.g. need for speed most wanted) are good. Far Cry was also perfect.

I'm also running at 1360x768 via VGA. Strange how not many games have a proper widescreen res in their config. Quake 4 has a widescreen 16:9 mode but not a widescreen res. I'd guess more games will have 1360x768 in future.

What scart cable are you using/do you recommend? I've got NTL digital and my picture is a bit pixely.
    Also what is the maximum displayable PC resolution? I thought it might be able to display 1920x1080 as this is
    1080i res but it appears not.

23. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Tekhouse - The sticker is gone. Took it off about a day after I took the photos. Didn't want it to look like a shop display model!

I'm using a JVC scart cable I got from Dixons. I used to have some QED P2110s but sold them as I didn't plan on using them anymore. Still, a £30 scart cable probably won't fix a pixely image, that's purely down to the broadcasters who insist on providing us with low bitrates. A good indicator of this is Sky One, Sky Two and Sky Three which have noticably different bitrates with One being the best and Three clearly being the worst. Having said that, about 90% of the stuff on Sky gives me a more-or-less pixel-free picture. Don't bother with the MPEG reducer though as it does basically nothing.

Ghost-dog, do you get a bit of colour bleed around fonts on your VGA input?

24. ghost-dog

ghost-dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't see any colour bleed, text seems pretty sharp to me. Only thing that's a little out is my clock & clock phase, can't seem to get it 100% right so some vertical areas of text are slightly unsharp. Any advice on that? What are your settings? A picture of your settings might be useful if possible. I'd post one but I don't have a site to link to.

25. kenko

kenko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cracking setup mate. Fair play.

I got into this at an early age too made and was so proud of my 42inch rear projection tv. It was awesome. I was lucky enough to have a room converted downstairs thats was 12 foot by 22 foot.

I've now got my own digs and I tell you I miss my old room! My mrs doesn't share all of my views!

26. ghost-dog

ghost-dog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know what the maximum res is that the 26LXD500 can display from the PC is? is it only 1360x768? It does also work at 1280x1024 but I was wondering if it can do 1920x1080. I get a 'no signal' message when I try this res, any ideas? is it the LCD that's not capable or perhaps the VGA cable?

27. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I've updated this again if anybody's interested. The latest photo shows my new PC and the set-up is now pretty much exactly how I want it though there's still room for a Wii!

28. joffy1780

joffy1780

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    :eek: People are just getting lazier,get yourself to the toilet :D

29. john connor

john connor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    where did you get your DTS plaque I like it:)

30. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    eBay, about a year ago.