Bargain Expired Small quality speakers?

handyandyS3

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone out there can help me? In my home office I currently have use a Wavemaster 2.1 setup. It's a small room so it fills it well, but it lacks some finesse especially when played at low volumes. I would love to be able to use Kef LS50 Meta's but they are just to tall for where they need to be. Can anyone suggest a quality small speaker under 220mm tall?
Regards, Andy

One of the few speakers which has a good level of performance especially when combining it in a 2.1 solution is the Monitor Audio Radius 90 Bookshelfs. Its a widely acclaimed speaker and its cabinet design has been around for many years with tweeter, mid-range driver and crossover upgrades over the years. At 200mm (or just shy, I cannot think of another speaker with its ability at that size - I'm sure there are others, but I doubt there will be many)

There are also the Wharfedale Moviestar DX-2, Focal Dome Flax, Monitor Audio Mass, Monitor Audio Monitor 50 speakers which fit the height requirements

Last edited:
Due to concentric drivers they should basically work fine horizontally laying too as you see often one LS50 being used this way as center channel. That would mean the height would become 20cm, but wider (30,2cm) then. See the polar maps (vertical/horizontal) they are closely symmetrical.

KEF%2BLS50%2Bon%2Bits%2Bside.jpg

Horizontal LS50 Meta as center channel:

22bcb057-fb0c-452e-97ac-992798f9797c-jpeg.1405348

Attachments

• LS50 Directivity - Horizontal + Vertical Polar Maps.jpg
    LS50 Directivity - Horizontal + Vertical Polar Maps.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 90
It's a good point about concentric drivers. That might make these worth a look
The Neat Iotas are designed with the tweeter next to, not above the woofer

Last edited:
One of the few speakers which has a good level of performance especially when combining it in a 2.1 solution is the Monitor Audio Radius 90 Bookshelfs. Its a widely acclaimed speaker and its cabinet design has been around for many years with tweeter, mid-range driver and crossover upgrades over the years. At 200mm (or just shy, I cannot think of another speaker with its ability at that size - I'm sure there are others, but I doubt there will be many)

There are also the Wharfedale Moviestar DX-2, Focal Dome Flax, Monitor Audio Mass, Monitor Audio Monitor 50 speakers which fit the height requirements
Seconded on the radius 90s, i use them as rears 10years old and still hard to beat

Yep the Radius 90s are superb, you can get some crazy bargains on the current generation versions at ebay on occasion, and with a subwoofer they sound superb. Glorious detail out of the tweeters also.

Orphidian minimo, pro ac tablette?
ProAc tablette are more than 20cm.

I use Totem Kin Mini, but I’m not sure whether you can still get them

Paradigm MilleniaOne

Audience

ClairAudient 1+1​

Starke Sound Lumi Echo

S.M.S.L Tabeuia

Last edited:
Hi, I hope someone out there can help me? In my home office I currently have use a Wavemaster 2.1 setup. It's a small room so it fills it well, but it lacks some finesse especially when played at low volumes. I would love to be able to use Kef LS50 Meta's but they are just to tall for where they need to be. Can anyone suggest a quality small speaker under 220mm tall?
Regards, Andy
Orb Audio is good. It's an American company and I have demoed their Orbs and was impressed for what they are.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom