Small punchy woofer for small room

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Psilonaught, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Psilonaught

Psilonaught
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bought a Sony strada1200ES and Q Accoustic 1030 speakers as an ungrade to my system and the Sony sounds great but has very weak bass, and i'm stuck with it now as the missus would kill be if I changed again :rolleyes:

I therefore need a sub - the room is 11x11ft so now big, I want punchy bass but not anything room shaking.

Budget up to £500

2. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I've always been very impressed with my B&W ASW675, great power and impact for such a small little box.
    I'd imagine the latest RELs will fall into this category too. The R205 fits the bill for you, I'm thinking of upgrading my ASW675 for the bigger R305 model.

I'm sure others will be along with more suggestions too.

3. chris_harris

chris_harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm gonna be really cheeky here but i have a REL Stampede in the for sale section, fantastic little sub. worth reading up on.

chris

4. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    The SVS SB12 is very compact, looks gorgeous and is highly regarded on this forum, just do a search :) ~£500

Also available in the forum powerbuy for a member discount. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376087

I believe Sunfire also do some good compact subs but not sure of the price point.

Adam

5. Menoetius

Menoetius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
  6. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Get an XLS200 and spend £200 on your murderous missus - you know it makes sense.:smashin:

7. marcstang

marcstang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Yep, xls200 but a gemini may also be sufficient for the room size.

8. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    Pah, get the SB12 and relax in the confidence you won't be asking your self, 'should I have spent a bit extra to get the *ultimate £500 compact sub' :devil:

* I have never heard myself it but I trust enough of the opinions of those on here who have :)

9. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    With more subtitles than a foreign film! ;)

10. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    If you don't want to shake the room, turn it down a bit.;)

I'll add my vote for the SB-12. It's the best compact sub I've heard at anything like the price. It makes my old MJ Ref 200 look sick in comparrison, especially when you compare the prices.

Russell

11. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Is it that simple though Russ???

As you know my issue is that i live in a top floor flat and when the girl beneath has no TV/Music on she can hear my Dyn's when they're turned up.. i'm concerned that a subwoofer of any sort is going to be too much... so i was looking at a more polite Velodyne SPL-800R as from what i've read using it's in built microphone setup it goes for quality not quantity so much - which would probably suit...

However seeing the tech specs on a different thread is turning an SVS down really going to get rid of room shaking but still work well... the AV Sales powerbuy price is highly tempting!!!

12. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Tell you what, persuade a dealer to let you home demo an SPL-800 for a weekend about the same time as the 'Free Beer' thread comes off. If you know what I mean.;)

FWIW, the room compensation on the SB-12 allows you to quite literally turn down the sub with decreasing frequency, thus limiting it's potential to annoy your neigbours, plus a good sub turned down in this way, will offer less distortion and therefore annoyance potential.

BTW, the inbuilt EQ of the SPL-R isn't all that clever. It's a straight forward 6 band graphic equaliser which is auto only. The much more complicated EQ of the DDs/SMS-1, features 8 parametric, manually adjustable bands. When setting this to Auto EQ, it made no appreciable difference. Unless you're lucky enough for your room modes to coincide exactly with the frequencies of the GEQ, then it's not that useful.

Russell

13. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    I like your thinking... i'll see if i can arrange that as there seems to be a local place that has them.

A shame on the built in EQ, the Homecinemachoice review seemed to suggest it made a big difference :( Point taken on the SVS too...

One day i'll decide and get something, at the moment i want to get the rest of the system in place and then we'll see :D

14. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    I'm only relating to my experience of the SMS-1 Auto EQ. The sliders moved, the graph changed a bit, but audibly, nothing exceptional happened. But that's my sub, with my EQ, in my room - yours won't be.

For way less than the price difference between the 'i' and the 'R', a BFD will make a much larger difference, accurately tune out problem frequencies (which are the annoying ones), allow you to tune neighbours 'out' and neighbours 'in' presets :)devil:) and be usable with any future subs. It's a lot more faffing, but IMHO, worth it.

Just a thought,

Russell