Small Problem with Sony DAV SC6

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Eddy., Sep 26, 2004.

1. Eddy.

Eddy.
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I recently purchased a Sony DAV SC6 with a Sony KD-32DX51U television. The system is excellent amd I am very pleased with it. However, I have noticed a small problem when viewing DVD's. Recently, I was viewing my Star Wars Trilogy DVD's and I noticed that in certain scenes, red lines were visible at the side of the screen. They only appear for a second at a time, and usually occur when their is alot of action on the screen. I know this is not normal because I viewed the DVD's on a different DVD system and the lines were not visible.

I was just wondering if anyone knows what this problem is and if their is a solution to get rid of it?

Thanks!

2. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Eddy,

I've not noticed this problem on my SC6, I'll have a look at the Star Wars Trilogy later to see if I can re-create your problem. Does it appear on all of the films? Any scenes where you notice it more than others?

Hillster

3. Eddy.

Eddy.
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hillster,

It happens on each of the films, yes.

It occurs most often during laser fights and lightsaber battles. Usually when the lightsabers are clashing together.

4. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29

Eddy,

Can't re-create your problems on my SC6 and Panny widescreen, tried quite a few different settings on both the dvd player and television without any luck. I assume your DVD's are region 2?

5. Eddy.

Eddy.
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yes, they are region 2.

I have no idea what the problem could be. Could it be an issue with the SCART cable I have used to connect the sustem to my television. Or is it a dodgy setting?

If I cannot find a problem, I may have to put that guarantee to use....

6. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a problem with my sc5, on certain dvd,s, when bright portions of the image were moving across the screen or camera was panning, these portions seemed to seperate into short horizontal lines, but only down the lhs of the screen. problem was eventually fixed with a firmware upload under warrenty. the picture is now faultless. hope this helps
    :smashin:

7. Splim

Splim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May not be relevant, but have you tried adjusting your screen position horizontally (on the TV)?

8. Eddy.

Eddy.
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yes, this sounds very similar to the problem I have. Short horizontal lines on the left hand side of the screen.

How did you go about getting the firmware upload? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

No, I have not tried this. I will mess around with it tonight and see if there is any change.

Thank you for the replies! :thumbsup:

9. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine was still under warrenty with empire direct, they sent a technician from 'roy townsend', crewe, cheshire. someone there must know the details of the mod, i was out of the house when he did it, the mod was as a result of them taking the player away checking it out and comparing it with identical units at the workshop, sony uk and all the way back to japan!!, apparently they all suffered the same fault!! i guess your unit is under warrenty, so when a technician arrives, maybe he can liase with 'rt'. hope this helps

bockster

10. Eddy.

Eddy.
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yes, I am under a 5 year warranty with Debenhams (who I bought the unit from)

Thank you for your help. I will get a technician round ASAP!

11. Chris HK

Chris HK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem, but on the SC8 - the shop I bought mine from has tried 3. Now I need to get Sony round to fix it.

Th shop thought it was a conflict with my plasma - Hitachi PD5000

12. Chris HK

Chris HK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IF you had any luck finding out exactly what they did - could you let me know. SONY HK are saying that there is nothing they can do at the moment. Do you know if sony japan are aware of it?

13. Chris HK

Chris HK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    an update - this problem has been pinned down to PAL discs only. Hence japan couldn;t replicate the problem. I'll keep you informed!

14. wfarnell

wfarnell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the same problem with my SC8 as well. Short (usually red) horizontal lines along the left hand side of the screen. The lines are probably no more than about 5 inches long. Happen when there is a lot of bright flickering action.

For me it is much worse when playing back my own DVD recordings from my Philips DVD Recorder, but I can also see the problem in purchased DVDs (including the Star Wars Trilogy).

I have had my SC8 for 10 months now and only recently noticed it so I am not sure whether it has a fault that has developed or I just never noticed it before.

I spoke to Sony and they said there was no known issue like this with the SC8.

Anyone with any more info on this?

Think I'm going to contact the local Sony repar guys.

15. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as it happens, i was round a mates a couple of days ago a while watching peter kay, top of the tower i saw his system recreate the exact fault mine suffered! i didn't like to mention it to him because his system will now be out of warrenty, and maybe he hadn't noticed it anyway. however, the thing is, his unit is not one of the sc range! i don't know the model number but i think it was quite a common one with 4" square speakers where the 4 sides of the speakers are concave. anyway point is, are we looking at a much wider sony problem? is anyone else out there suffering? like i said previously, mine was put right with a software upgrade so the problem is known about

16. enricokael2005

enricokael2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, I have similar problems with DAV-SR2 and with
    Star Wars Trilogy Episode V disc.

17. wfarnell

wfarnell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the local sony repair shop don't seem to know what to do with this problem.

I friend of mine has a DAV-SC8 as well so I gave him a disk to try and..........surprise surprise........that does it as well.

Sounds like a sony issue to me with PAL disks. I'll be thinking twice before buying another sony DVD player.

18. wfarnell

wfarnell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend of mine has a DAV SC8 and he tried one of my disks, I told him where to look in the film and he said he noticed the same problem.