Small pocket/pen knife

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I often find in my day to day life that a small, sharp knife would come in very handy, for such activities as small trimming jobs where scissors won't work, stripping wire, opening boxes, cutting packaging, picking my teeth, emulating Bishop from Aliens, relieving my colleagues of their dinner money, etc, etc.

Unfortunately most of the knives I've found online look like something Ray Mears would use to skin his dinner.

Can anyone suggest something socially acceptable that I could pull out without having people fleeing for their lives?! I don't fancy a Swiss army knife as I have no need for a corkscrew, fish-scaler or nail file (I'm not in the beavers either)! Also don't want to carry a Stanley/utility knife around. I have one of these which is ok, but a bit small in some situations and the finish on the handle is flaking off and making a mess everywhere.

For years now I've carried a small Victorinox Classic penknife. Approx 4cm long, less than 1oz in weight. Fits in the coin pocket of jeans. Passes airport security tunnel (!). Is allowed on aeroplanes. Costs about £11. Knife blade, screwdriver, file, toothpick, tweezers, scissors. There are variations that have an led but they're slightly thicker. The blade is super sharp from new and keeps very sharp too. Can't fault it considering its size and weight.

For years now I've carried a small Victorinox Classic penknife. Approx 4cm long, less than 1oz in weight. Fits in the coin pocket of jeans. Passes airport security tunnel (!). Is allowed on aeroplanes. Costs about £11. Knife blade, screwdriver, file, toothpick, tweezers, scissors. There are variations that have an led but they're slightly thicker. The blade is super sharp from new and keeps very sharp too. Can't fault it considering its size and weight.
Same here can be had from Amazon for about £8

Thanks for the advice, on closer inspection it seems like my prejudice against Swiss Army knives was a bit silly and I've decided on a Victorinox Bantam pocket knife. The "classic sd" also looks like it'd fit the bill perfectly well, but chose the bantam as it's slightly bigger and I don't think I need the scissors. Already like the look of the V'nox minichamp - think I'll be asking for one for xmas (or when I inevitably lose this one)!
Was also considering a Spyderco grasshopper knife, but the SAK won out for being completely non-threatening as well as being cheaper and having more features.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom