Small PC without it being a laptop.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rigman, Nov 6, 2005.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Hi

looking for a small footprint PC without paying the laptop premium as I will not need it to be portable.

I just want it to fit on a small computer desk in a room where it does not stick out like a sore thumb.

It will mostly be used for net surfing and kids homework etc so does not need to be the latest spec.

Anyone any recommendations.

cheers
    Darren

2. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,205
    Shuttle - prices are very reasonable , and the barebones kits are easy to put together, most things onboard and can add powered usb hubs if needed.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  3. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mini-itx if that's all you need. Small, quiet and more than capable of running non-gaming apps.
    have a look at www.liniitx.com or www.mini-itx.com
    I have a system based around a VIA EPIA MEII 6000 LVDS Fanless , it's actually not bad and will even run MCE

4. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're not bothered about windows look at a mac mini - insanely small and virtually silent. I've got both a mac mini and a mini-itx, and the mac has ended up being smaller, faster and cheaper.

5. Barbarosa

Barbarosa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote for mini-itx systems. I just built one with a fanless 600MHz Via board - MoBo, processor, onboard sound and graphics for £75! I was a bit concerned about the processor speed, but it seems to be at least as fast as my 5 y.o. P4 desktop and runs XP fine. If your'e not worried about a bit of fan noise, you can go to 1000MHz or 1200MHz. Try here www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/

6. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look at the Aopen Mini http://xc.aopen.com.tw/ A version that runs i915 chipset and Pentium M or i855 which is cheaper. Not quite a Mac Mini but the closest Windows at present.