Small/Medium room buying advice, shoot for overkill or keep sensitive?

rafaelhisaac

Standard Member
Hi guys, Im planning on a 5.1 setup initially and possibly expanding to 5.1.2 in the near future. I have been all over the place from SVS prime 5.1, Klipsch reference theater pack (I know, small entry level sub-optimal speakers), but to avoid needing to upgrade in some years, I was looking into Klipsch Reference Premiere line for my small/medium master bedroom (see picture) (5 m x 3.1m x H 3m aprox.). two options stand between RP-6000f/RP 8000f Tower speakers,, and RP-600M speakers, as my FR and FR, both with a RP-504C/404C center channel (primary interest is movies). Taking into account room size, will the tower speakers be overkill, or do they offer enough mid-bass to justify going over the 600M bookshelves. Also, can I go with 4 bookshelf and a center channel for a 5.1 or should rear speakers be smaller. Both these options will pair with a Sub (possible Rel HT/1205 sub or klipsch SPL-100). Thanks in advance. Im open to alternatives best suited for room size, and top-of-the-line sound quality.

Attachments

• room.png
    room.png
    265.4 KB · Views: 87

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
If it would be my money i would always go for better speakers and that means often the bookshelf speakers. From SVS the Ultra Bookshelf should be really good with very strong bass and output capabilities (check Audioholics review). Also the Ultra Centre is true 3-way with 6,5" drivers and this has been shown in many videos where there is large theater room and it has good feedback for years already. If you look the youtube videos many has upgraded to SVS Ultra from Klipsch RP ranges also. These two are very popular in US for theater rooms. I think you would need to hear both if possible. From Klipsch 600M and 600C would be quite safe choice considering your smallish room, the 504C has smaller drivers but few extra in a 2,5way and this is ideal if more listeners on wider area. 600C shouldn`t be slouch as it shares identical drivers to 600M! The floorstanders are quite deep and you don´t want to keep them against wall so it`s going to look quite wild in small space when they come more in to room! 8000F would be overkill, some might probably argue the 6000F be on the large side but up to you. Check the Klipsch forum cause AVF is UK based and there isn´t many Klipsch owners cause they cost so much more than other brands and the look/finish is more for US taste anyway. Not sure what the pricing is in Colombia for both brands or is the Ultra too expensive?

If you fancy some other brands then M&K (Miller Kreisel) is popular/legendary for cinema speakers, expensive too! Arendal Sound is the latest kid on the block with their 1961 and 1723 THX ranges that everyone seems to love! Monoprice Monolith THX speaker range similar to their subwoofers should be very good, but not sure if they ship these to your country.

I`m bit suprised you didn`t pick really good woofers, but rather you mentioned Rel HT/1205 which is fine product still (slightly lacking deep bass if that is your thing) HT/1508 would be awesome no doubt, but the SPL-100 isn´t product you should be considering! Also as you spoke of SVS then why not consider their subwoofers? If you can blast as loud as you want there without fear of neighbours and want to create cinematic feeling then don´t save on sub! It looks you get decent response with one sub so example the new SVS PB1000 Pro would be awesome, but really comes down to your budget and needs. If you go with dual subwoofers at some point then front left corner and rear right corner (next to couch) looks to be the only option due to that door. So perhaps you want to think about which size sub you can fit there IF you decide to add 2nd at some point.

Looking with REW program if you sit middle close to rear wall directly opposite to tv which is middle of front wall, then ideal position for the subwoofer would be the front left wall 1/4 (25%) so 1,24meters from left wall to driver gives you the smoothest response without big dips, then next the front left corner. You should have av-receiver with good room correction software, example Denon X3x00 or Marantz SR601x upwards with Audussey Mult EQ XT32 or Anthem/Arcam. Alternatively devices like miniDSP 2x4HD or Antimode 8033 Cinema to flatten the peaks. SVS subwoofer comes with app and PEQ but you would still need usb mic and program to measure room response. Something like the Audussey on D&M is usually easiest way to get more controlled non boomy bass. The filter resolution is higher on that XT32 version so it can do better job for speakers too. Some want plug&play device and others like to tweak manually...

rafaelhisaac

Standard Member
If it would be my money i would always go for better speakers and that means often the bookshelf speakers. From SVS the Ultra Bookshelf should be really good with very strong bass and output capabilities (check Audioholics review). Also the Ultra Centre is true 3-way with 6,5" drivers and this has been shown in many videos where there is large theater room and it has good feedback for years already. If you look the youtube videos many has upgraded to SVS Ultra from Klipsch RP ranges also. These two are very popular in US for theater rooms. I think you would need to hear both if possible. From Klipsch 600M and 600C would be quite safe choice considering your smallish room, the 504C has smaller drivers but few extra in a 2,5way and this is ideal if more listeners on wider area. 600C shouldn`t be slouch as it shares identical drivers to 600M! The floorstanders are quite deep and you don´t want to keep them against wall so it`s going to look quite wild in small space when they come more in to room! 8000F would be overkill, some might probably argue the 6000F be on the large side but up to you. Check the Klipsch forum cause AVF is UK based and there isn´t many Klipsch owners cause they cost so much more than other brands and the look/finish is more for US taste anyway. Not sure what the pricing is in Colombia for both brands or is the Ultra too expensive?

If you fancy some other brands then M&K (Miller Kreisel) is popular/legendary for cinema speakers, expensive too! Arendal Sound is the latest kid on the block with their 1961 and 1723 THX ranges that everyone seems to love! Monoprice Monolith THX speaker range similar to their subwoofers should be very good, but not sure if they ship these to your country.

I`m bit suprised you didn`t pick really good woofers, but rather you mentioned Rel HT/1205 which is fine product still (slightly lacking deep bass if that is your thing) HT/1508 would be awesome no doubt, but the SPL-100 isn´t product you should be considering! Also as you spoke of SVS then why not consider their subwoofers? If you can blast as loud as you want there without fear of neighbours and want to create cinematic feeling then don´t save on sub! It looks you get decent response with one sub so example the new SVS PB1000 Pro would be awesome, but really comes down to your budget and needs. If you go with dual subwoofers at some point then front left corner and rear right corner (next to couch) looks to be the only option due to that door. So perhaps you want to think about which size sub you can fit there IF you decide to add 2nd at some point.

Looking with REW program if you sit middle close to rear wall directly opposite to tv which is middle of front wall, then ideal position for the subwoofer would be the front left wall 1/4 (25%) so 1,24meters from left wall to driver gives you the smoothest response without big dips, then next the front left corner. You should have av-receiver with good room correction software, example Denon X3x00 or Marantz SR601x upwards with Audussey Mult EQ XT32 or Anthem/Arcam. Alternatively devices like miniDSP 2x4HD or Antimode 8033 Cinema to flatten the peaks. SVS subwoofer comes with app and PEQ but you would still need usb mic and program to measure room response. Something like the Audussey on D&M is usually easiest way to get more controlled non boomy bass. The filter resolution is higher on that XT32 version so it can do better job for speakers too. Some want plug&play device and others like to tweak manually...

Hi, many thanks for the thorough response. After many hours of research and coming to my senses, I settled for RP-500m and an RP-404C center channel, with a SVS PB-1000 sub (taking into account room dimensions and wall mounting capability RP-600m was a little on the bigger side). Also I got a deal with klipsch and 500m was 269 a pair (usd), so SVS Ultra bookshelves at $999 seem a bit pricey. On another note, is Audyssey really +100$USD worth it (comparing denon sh750 to sony 790).

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi, many thanks for the thorough response. After many hours of research and coming to my senses, I settled for RP-500m and an RP-404C center channel, with a SVS PB-1000 sub (taking into account room dimensions and wall mounting capability RP-600m was a little on the bigger side). Also I got a deal with klipsch and 500m was 269 a pair (usd), so SVS Ultra bookshelves at $999 seem a bit pricey. On another note, is Audyssey really +100$USD worth it (comparing denon sh750 to sony 790).

Hope you got good deal of the PB1000 if you buy the old model? I think some member said 350-400$ price now.

New model with larger driver, new amp, new cabinet/port design and phone app control.

I think that S750H is bit too cheap model, it has the oldest Audussey version so not much usefull. If you have Costco near you then check out Yamaha TSR-700 model. It`s identical to RX-V6A which is equivalent to Denon X2700H. I think the Yamaha costs 399$ so super cheap with the latest features and much better than the cheap Sony.

rafaelhisaac

Standard Member
Ill be sure to review those avr. Yeah, pb-1000 200usd cheaper than the pro, 19hz vs 17hz, it doesnt seem 1hz per 100 usd is worth it. Also all reviews I have found say theyre pretty much similar, beside the phone app

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Ill be sure to review those avr. Yeah, pb-1000 200usd cheaper than the pro, 19hz vs 17hz, it doesnt seem 1hz per 100 usd is worth it. Also all reviews I have found say theyre pretty much similar, beside the phone app

That is not really correct and they won`t sound same, but if you looking to save some.. The new Pro model will sound better no doubt. There is changes especially at the mid-bass range where the older one lacked. And that is where most of stuff is happening usually. 12" driver over 10" it´s outperforming the old PB2000 even in some areas. Phone app has manual PEQ too which can help you tame some peaks and room compensation feature etc. My money would have gone to Pro, but if you want to save then go with the old one. With subwoofers i don´t recommend to save though.

rafaelhisaac

Standard Member
How about the speedwoofer 10S vs pb1000 (not pro)? Trying to keep in the 400usd range, (small apartment) 16m2 room as in the photo

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Sure PB1000 over Speedwoofer. I think we compared them at some point with Tom V (PSA) and SVS is better in every metrics.

If you live in apartment and keep things at moderate level have you considered the SB1000 Pro? Very capable sub with 12" driver and as a bonus doesn`t take much space = duals can be option in future. Why duals? Due to more even bass response and just overall more room filling bass, not for overall loudness.

rafaelhisaac

Standard Member
It has crossed my mind, yet the decline curves approaching 20hz are not as pretty, and id rather go ported for the eventual daytime action movie when I can really turn it up. Ill sleep on it and surf for deals to see what turns up.
Also thx about those avr, settled for tsr700 yamaha, I do not need many features as it will be connected to my gaming desktop pc, but for the price I do not seem to find any other reasonsble choices (onkyo n986 or something like that was also popping up).

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom