1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small living room and first home cinema setup - advice please for a newbie!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Ickle Yoda1, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Ickle Yoda1

Ickle Yoda1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    A big hello to you all from a new member!

I have been thinking about setting up my first 5.1 system for a few years and now that I have recently got my own place I am planning on doing it soon. After having a look though magazines and this website I am thinking on going for the Yamaha RXV450 and Kef KHT1005 speakers. The only thing left to do is set it up.

The room is fairly small as you can see from the pics, I was planning on Putting the rear speakers on the back wall above the couch, between the door and the opposite side of the couch. looking at where the tv is I can either leave the speakers sitting on the table or use stands and have the speakers standing next to the cabinet. The sub has to go where the phone is just now.

As I am pretty new to this is there anything wrong with this setup? Any suggestions on making it better or even different speaker / amp suggestions? Also, I am wanting to connect my DVD player, Sky + and xbox all through this amp. Is it just a case of plugging in optical cables from each appliance into the back of the amp?

Thanks everybody

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lnewey6

lnewey6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi welcome to the forum .how big is the room ,the amp and speakers are fine my room is 10 foot long 8foot wide and i've got a denon 3802 homecinema amp in their .i have floorstanders but i might go for the mordant short premiere they might sound better with movies and music than the ones your looking at and can be had for 400 pound try moving the tv more in the middle it will look better and sound better as for rear speakers have them 6 foot high and you can always mount a rear center speaker higher than the two rears thats what i have done and it sounds brilliant the good think about small rooms you don't need loads of power so good luck and injoy

3. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would agree with the suggestion to move the telly more central than it is at the moment. I spent ages trying to jig my front room around until I gave up and put the telly in the best place with a sofa facing straight on. It may cause some problems like needing to mount speakers but outweighs the problems you could run into trying to achieve a realistic soundstage with a dreaded corner telly!

My room is probably the same size as yours, maybe a little wider. I'm using the Pio VSX C301, with 50W per channel, not the most powerful of amps. But considering the size of the room, I don't need much, and can drive my Mission set up convincingly much louder than the neighbours would ever need.

2 comments:

1) Telly under the window might give you eye strain if you watch during the day time. I chose between this and opposing the window (with a load of reflection off the screen) and went with the latter.

2) Do you have your rads on much? Being slap bang behind your av gear might not be the best for ventilation.

Don't give up, keep tweaking things and you'll find that you can get a surprisingly good sound without placing things necessarily in the recommended places. Make sure it sounds good to you, not to the Dolby Digital website!

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I would recommend looking at the Canton series offered for a very special price in the speakers power buys forum. Ther are pictures of people canton setup in the normal speaker forums if you want to see them. They will be much better (especially with music) over the kefs.

If you can get WAF then blackout material is superb addition for watching during the day.