1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Small" LCD's - Sound Issues ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by PaulBoy, Jan 25, 2004.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I recently bought a 17" LCD for the bedroom + have it hooked up to an NTL digibox (RGB Scart) & Toshiba DVD (Component)
    PQ on both is excellent (especially DVD :D )
    My only slight disappointment is the sound - to be fair I didnt really expect much but find it distracting when watching a DVD that the sound is so poor ...
    What options have I to "upgrade" the sound ?
    I have Phono connections available on the LCD as well as PC & Headphone connections
    It needs to be v/discrete - I was thinking of two possibilities:
    1) Sony make a two speaker & subwoofer set (SRSD101) - designed for personal stereos I believe - would that give the LCD audio the necessary wallop ?
    2) I could buy a 5.1 system with built in amp like the Sony HT-BE1 which has very discrete speakers (couple of inches square) although I might not use the rear speakers just the front three - If I went down this road some recommendations other than the BE1 would be appreciated as it is out of production ...
    TIA - Paul ;)

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    I have a similar observation on a 15 inch LG item I've had for a couple of years. Although I have since provided it with a cheap stereo amp and a pair of old speakers, the first thing I did (to completely satisfactory effect) was to plug in a set of those cheapish speakers you can get for PC use from places like Maplins into the headphone outlet. And they sounded noticeably better than the tiny onboard things. Cost was about GBP20 IIRC.