Small Laptop help and advise wanted

lowmans100

I am looking for a laptop to use when commuting for watching videos (to replace my Archos 604wifi as it is on it's second battery and I don't want to buy a third) and surfing, but also to use at home to replace the desktop which will be hidden away (it's in the living room right now) and used access my files (video, photos etc) which are on various HDD's over my wireless network.

Now the laptop needs:

> have a small screen maximum 14" but 13" or less preferred.

>light weight <2kg

> powerful enough to run photo editing software Photoshop CS4 Extended, Lightroom 2.2 & Nikon Capture NX.

>to run Windows XP or Windows 7 (not interested in Vista)

>decent battery more than 3.5 hours preferred to last my daily commute without having to carry a charger.

I have found these

[GOOGLE]Samsung N510[/GOOGLE], 11.6", Nvidia 9400M GPU
HP/[GOOGLE]Compaq mini 311[/GOOGLE], 11.6", Nvidia 9400M GPU
[GOOGLE]Lenovo IdeaPad S12[/GOOGLE], 12.1" (not yet released)

and

[GOOGLE]HP Pavilion dv2 1120ea[/GOOGLE], 12.1", ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3410 - 512 MB GPU
[GOOGLE]HP Pavilion dv2 1125ea[/GOOGLE], 12.1", ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3410 - 512 MB GPU

The HP Pavillion dv2 is expensive (>£500) but uses the new Athlon Neo X2 L335 1.60GHz Dual-Core which is currently exclusive to HP but does anyone know if this will be available to other manufacturers soon? Does anyone know if the battery life is any good on these HP machines?

Would you recommend any of these or are there any alternatives?

Does anyone know if there are any new releases in the pipeline on the lead up to Christmas.

Any help greatly appreciated.

MODS: Please edit title to "Small Laptop help and advise wanted...

Last edited:

lowmans100

Have a look at the Dell Inspiron 11z with 11.6" LED display and GS45 integrated graphics - the base model is £349 or go for a dual core model for £399:

Dell Inspiron 11z Laptop Details

- Simon.

Cheers, I'll have a look.

I've also found another one 13.4" [GOOGLE]Samsung Q320[/GOOGLE] with NVIDIA GeForce G 105M 256Mb GPU and comes in 2 guises one with a T4200 dual core and the other with T6400 dual core. The only problem is the price starting more than £600 (less than £600 in white, ...but white :thumbsdow)

Any advice on the GPU? Is there any advantage in a dedicated GPU over say the GS45 integrated card for photo editing and HD video playback?

Xstyle

[GOOGLE]HP Pavilion dv2 1120ea[/GOOGLE], 12.1", ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3410 - 512 MB GPU
[GOOGLE]HP Pavilion dv2 1125ea[/GOOGLE], 12.1", ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3410 - 512 MB GPU

The HP Pavillion dv2 is expensive (>£500) but uses the new Athlon Neo X2 L335 1.60GHz Dual-Core which is currently exclusive to HP but does anyone know if this will be available to other manufacturers soon? Does anyone know if the battery life is any good on these HP machines

IMO, I think the SUCCESSOR to the HP Pavillion DV2 is what you're after...?
The HP Pavillion DM3 is released from next week I believe.

See my thread with links to reviews, I'm seriously considering it!
http://www.avforums.com/forums/laptops-mini-pcs/1103867-hp-pavillion-dm3-13-3-notebook.html

:thumbsup:

p.s. it's less than 2 kilos, 13.3" screen, 7 hours battery life, anodised etched silver in and out, with a bundled lightscribe dvd drive, Windows 7, 4gb RAM, 320gb HDD @ 7200rpm. Good specs I think, and one of the reviews says the AMD Neo 2 is much better than its predecessor, and the Intel Core 2 duo that is also available in the same machine.

Last edited:

lowmans100

:thumbsup:

Thanks I'll have a look, I thought there would be new models coming out to coincide with the release of Windows 7, this may bring the prices of the current crop of 13" laptops down a bit as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom