• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Small hi-fi using T-amp (and cheap)

Knox

Established Member
I had a Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC (Black) connected to my Nexus 7 tablet and driving Vifa speakers

This setup is the smallest hi-fi I've ever had
Sound was excellent for the money but sadly the amp stopped working after nine months
Sent it back to Amazon for a refund

There is a new Dayton amp the 120a but 'once bitten twice shy'

I'm now considering a Topping Class T Digital Amplifier (pronounced Toh – ping) they appear to be well built and have audiophile sound for about $100- Australian

Anyone else using T-amps in their entertainment system ?

Last edited:

dogfonos

Prominent Member
Yes, but only in a garage setup. I purchased a stereo T-amp module rather than a finished amp. It sounds excellent under certain conditions and not good under others so depends on your use.

Assuming the Topping is a good example of it's type then IME...

It's good for: lighter music at low to moderate levels, efficient speakers, small listening rooms.

Bad for: heavy music or music with big bass, inefficient speakers. medium-sized listening rooms and larger (unless speakers are really efficient).

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
None of these amps are very powerful. If you look closely at the power rating they are likely to be half or less than is claimed. However, when used within their limits, they can sound very good.

Also, a vast majority of these amps are based on the TriPath digital amp Integrated Circuits. The Integrated circuit is a complete self-contained amp nad requires very few external components. Consequently, they are all about the same. Though keep in mind there are various TriPath amp models, some with higher power capability.

I think the current equivalent amp is the Dayton Audio DTA-1. Here are the specs -

Power output: 2 x 15 watts RMS (into 4 ohms @ 10% THD), 2 x 10 watts RMS (into 4 ohms @ 0.1% THD)

You can HALF that power for a standard 8 ohm load. So, really at reasonable distortion, you have a 5w/ch amp to an 8 ohm speaker.

Topping amps are more expensive, and with a bit more power, but still not a lot -

Topping TP21 Class T Digital Amplifier with Headphone 25 WPC | 310-310

I'm using this link to a USA site as an example because I already had it up on my screen -

Output power: 25W x 2 (4 ohms), 14W x 2 (8 ohms)

More power, but still not a lot. However, these amps really do sound good, especially for their tiny size.

But there are countless people making these amp, a search of Ebay (or possibly Amazon) will turn up dozens.

T-amp | eBay

Here is a popular T-Amp at a low price, the Lepai -

Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amp w/Power Supp | 310-300

• Power Output (RMS Per Channel @ 8 ohms): 20 Watts

The common Integrated Circuits used is the Tripath T-2020, however the higher the number, the higher the power potential. I think the Topping uses the T-2021.

The amps also come with different features. This Topping comes with a TWO Inputs, and a Headphone output -

Topping TP41 TA2021 T-AMP + Headphone Amplifier 25WPC | 310-324

This Topping comes with a USB DAC -

Topping TP30 Class T Digital Amplifier with USB-DAC 15 WPC | 310-312

Which is the most reliable is debatable, though I would think the Topping, given the price, should be pretty reliable.

Steve/bluewizard

bluedroog

Prominent Member
I have one from a company called Amptastic, a Mini-T, for the money driving efficient speakers it sounds great. They have a new model out now called the Mini-1 which is supposed to be excellent, I'd love to hear one.

timearp

Established Member
I have an Amptastic Mini-1, it's a nice little unit. I've not had chance to test it much yet but it I have noticed that as with any system, feed it rubbish and it lets you know about it! I've listened to some low res internet radio and it sounds rubbish. Feed it some higher quality feeds and you wonder why you bothered with the other stations.

Build quality is ok, few things which could be improved.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom