Small HD TV for my xbox 360

The screen MUST meet ALL the following criteria to be called "HD READY"

at least 720 lines
accepting 720p and 1080i over HDMI/DVI and Component
must use HDCP over HDMI/DVI if content provider requires it
must accept 720p and 1080i at 50hz

ive heard a lot about DVI, HDCP and HDMI. what are they and what do they connect?, and what should i look for in a tv? what is better DVI or HDMI? its all confusing for me as i cant find anywhere to explain all these things

If i have DVI on my monitor and it has a max resolution of 1600x1200 does that mean i can use my xbox 360 with it?

Not unless you get the VGA cable for it, and a VGA-DVI adapter.
HDMI would be classed as better only for the fact it has audio capability, unlike the video only DVI.
HDCP is the next new copyright protection mechanism to prevent pirated copies of HD material.

If you search this forum, you will find numerous posts on all things HDMI and DVI-HDCP - read 'til your heart's contented.

720 and 1080 are the number of horizontal lines on the screen

HDMI and DVI are (digital) connectors that connect source of material (DVD-HD, SKY HD, PS3) to target (Screen, receiver, amp, processor)

HDCP is a copy protection system that can be applied to source material (determined by owner of source material).

HDCP can be applied to DVI and HDMI, infact try to find HDMI without HDCP!!

DVI just video

HDMI video + audio

HDMI 1.0 video + audio (stereo)

HDMI 1.1 Video + audio (5.1)

Techies out there I am trying to make this simple, so please don't add details unless it aids clarity :lesson:

any news on the samsung HDTV xbox360 package deal?????

cant find anything on the web?

Just to clear things up a bit.

Current xbox is 1024x720p (if you have an NTSC box, or chipped box). Though most games are usually 480p (NTSC) and 576i (PAL).

Xbox360 will output 1280x720p (16:9) via component and 1024x768 (4:3) via VGA output. If you want widescreen HD you therefore need a component ready TV, not a VGA monitor. Either way, it will look nice.

If you're buying a TV for the 360, watch the resolution, most plasmas kick out a resolution of 1024x720p not 1280x720p, so there will be some downscaling. I went LCD for pixel per pixel resolution.

The 360 will have no DVI or HDMI output.

The full on 360 pack (as opposed to the core pack) will come with HD component leads in the box, which is nice. The VGA lead is an optional accessory.

But my "widescreen plasma" is 1024x768, which you say is 4:3 :confused:

Divide 1024x768 and you'll find the ratio is 4:3. You'll also find that in order for that resolution to be widescreen on your plasma, the pixels are wider than normal, and some clever image processing gives you a nice picture. However if you feed it a 1024x768 4:3 image from the console then its gonna looked stretched on a widescreen TV. Whereas if you feed it a 1280x720p widescreen image from the 360 via component, then your TV's processing will scale that down to your TVs lower resolution, and because the original image was 16:9 to begin with, it will still look correct.

Ahh, i see ( i think)

i was planning on getting the VGA adaptor, so this would be a waste of time? i may as well stick with component and wait to see if/when a hdmi cable is released?

So if it is downscaled, it will still technically and visually be a very good HD picture?

I assume it will still be good. To be honest, that was the reason I went LCD instead of the Panni PV500 I had originally ordered. I wanted the full 1280x720 Xbox360 resolution.

All the slides MS have displayed show the VGA as 640x480 and 1024x768. They may offer an anamorphic VGA output so that your TV will stretch it to the correct size, but they may not. They certainly haven't said so, with the VGA connection aimed at the PC monitor guys who don't have an HDTV.

I'd hold off on the VGA cable till you know for sure.

If you go component, then you'll defo get widescreen HD. Sure, you'll lose out on some of the resolution width ways, and I have no idea how that will affect the image, but I assume it will still look loads better than std def.

Well if Sony says it's twice as powerful it must be true then, not like they've ever overhyped anything.

i & p refer to interlaced and progressive

Rob_J said:
You should all wait for the PS3 has more outputs for HD TV's note the 2X HDMI outs on the below link. Not to mention its twice as powerfull.

dan1979 said:
Well if Sony says it's twice as powerful it must be true then, not like they've ever overhyped anything.

i & p refer to interlaced and progressive

If you looked at the info on that link you can see for yourself.

Rob_J said:
If you looked at the info on that link you can see for yourself.

Nobody knows which is more powerful. At the moment the PS3 is vapour ware, and the 360 still hasn't gone to developers in its final form. If you read one article it will say the 360 is more powerful, if you read another it will say that the PS3 is. I plan to buy both.

From the spec sheet alone, the 360 has more memory, uncluding that fancy new memory thingy, the eDRAM, and some serious bandwith on the motherboard. It also has 3 3.2GHz CPUs.

Sony has always had a habit of hyping its console, painting unrealistic expectations via rendered movies, and exaggerating performance. The PS2 never ever managed to live up to the pre-launch propaganda. I doubt the PS3 will either.

I expect both consoles to be of similar power, the PS3 may just nudge it given its coming out a little later, but who really knows? I have a PS2 and a couple of Xboxes right now. I'll have a PS3 and a 360 this gen too. One thing is for sure, MS know online better than anyone else, and Live has been fantastic. That alone makes the 360 a must have. I hope that PS3 gets a good online service that can compete with Live because right now my poor PS2 gathers offline dust.

Here's another article that paints a different picture...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html

Yep both will come in around the same power. The only ace ps3 has over xbox 360 is the br drive.

Yeah, the BR drive will be nice. On the other hand, the 360 seems to have far more multimedia capabilities. I get the impression that the PS3 will do the PS2 thing... DVDs and games. Not that thats really a bad thing. Anyway, will save me buying a new DVD player, I'll just use the PS3.

No mention of 1080i on Philips site for that model... Just a regular CRT. No component inputs either, just SCART, so your limited to Std Def.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...&proxybuster=JNZ2DBXVC5GONJ0RMRCSHQVHKFSESI5P

1080i doesn't actually look as nice as 720p, but at the moment you're looking at plasma or lcd for that, in most cases. I prefer LCD. Your mileage may vary.

You could just get a PC monitor and a VGA lead. Be wary of an LCD PC monitor as it will tend to blur when it scales up the 1024x768 output by the 360 to the monitors most likey 1280x1024 native resolution.

I plan on buying a very similar setup to th thread starter and found the Samsung 730mw at a very nice price. I've seen a couple of reviews on it and it seems to perform quite well. Now, my question is, will this give me 720p from a 360 running through component? There's no mention of output resolutions on Samsung's website so I wasn't sure, does nayone know? (Sorry I'm a total noob when it comes to HD).

Also, I read that it has a DVI output with HDCP so does this mean I'll be able to receive HD broadcasts in the future? Also, am I right to assume that to take advantage of the PS3's Bluray movie player I will need an output with HDCP?

Also, could anyone make any recommendations on a small widescreen LCD TV at a nice price (preferably under £450/£400).

Does anybody know if this HD VGA connection will work on the pioneer HD 434???

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom