Small front/rear satellites, and same make for front three?

stevrathman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

My current system is:
Onkyo HTR 518
Front Left / Right : Diamond 9.1s (black)
Centre diamond: 9.cc (black)

I’ve re-decorated and chased all the cabling in the wall, so am looking for speakers that are smaller than the 9.1’s and white. I will also need small rear satellites. I have a Mission MS10 sub in storage that I can use.

My questions are:
1/ Can I buy four small speakers (eg. M-cubes, Mourdaunt shorts) to use with my current centre, or will it make a huge difference to have the front three the same manufacturer?
2/ If, therefore, I do need to buy 5 speakers, are there advantages to buying a full 5.1 sytem and selling my old sub/speakers? E.g. would they work together better than with my MS10?
3/ What would you recommend as small, white, speakers that would either be part of a package or work on their own. I have seen deals in Richer Sounds and other places, and am thinking:

• Mission m-cubes (concerned that my amp’s crossover is too low @200Hz, and the speakers ideally need to be used with their sub, and wired via the sub, which I can’t do due to layout)
• Mordaunt short Alumni 2’s. (about my price range)
• Any others?

Of course if I can just buy front and read L/R’s that saves me buying a sub and a centre, but I’d like to know if it’s felt I ought buy a full 5.1 system.

I have a similar issue, I need to replace the front speakers as my current ones wont fit it the new location, or buy a 'small' speaker package.

I also considered the M Cubes, but someone replied (see recent thread) that they are dedicated to the related sub woofer

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom