Small form factor amp for bedroom system

champ222

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

i'm at the "looking about" stage of setting up a system in the bedroom.

I dont have anything at all yet.

it will all need to go on two Ikea Billy bookcases either side of the TV. The depth of the bookcases is about 26cm, so i dont have loads to play with.

The options ive seen so far (i'm looking at used options for budget reasons):

TEAC A-H01 - the one i have doesnt have a remote control, but it might be in the ebay remote control pit with all the other "no remote" listings. cant turn it on and off with the remote anyway

Denon PMA-50/30/60 - These look pretty good. there seem to be as many faulty ones for sale as working ones on ebay though.
NAD D3020 - These also look good. V1 or V2 would work for me.
Yamaha WXA-50 - I like the look of these quite a lot, its the most expensive option used though
Harman Kardon Citation AMP - These run pretty hot apparently, and it too early to tell what the reliability is going to be link.

Are there any other options i'm missing?

Another way to go is active speakers. with a DAC/preamp. There should be plenty of DAC options that would fit in the space.

Or go "all in one" active speakers with bluetooth and inputs into the speakers, like the Triangle LN01A for example.

What would you do, and why?

More info...
So far, i'm thinking of a pair of small "bookshelf" speakers, one on each bookcase. Most small speakers are rear ported, so i'd need a bit of space behind them.

I have some Dali Zensor Picos that i use on my desktop in the office. These are about 20cm deep, and i have some Quad 9l2 that i use for rear surrounds which are a similar size. I can try both of them for testing when the time comes. I could have the speakers stick out a bit from the shelves, which would give a bit more space at the back.

There is room in the corner for a small sub, about 28cm square floor space if memory serves. An old REL Quake would fit, but maybe something like a Q acoustics 3070S would be fine... i'll probably start another thread about that.

Amp wise, i have about 36cm width and the same 26ish cm depth. I use a Teac A-H01 with the Dalis in the office, and its "fine". It should just about fit, depth wise, with the right speaker connections and a right angled mains plug.

Input wise, i need an optical in for the TV, And optical in for a wiim mini. ive just got one for the Downstairs and it seems really good. i could convert the TV optical to a coax if that makes things easier. And bluetooth, but i can use the Wiim mini for that presumably.

a subwoofer out would be handy, and a trigger out would be too, i could then potentially use that to switch the sub on and off.

A remote control is required, and a volume knob is desired.

Thanks

Maybe Bluesound class d amplifier might suit you.

I don’t remember the dimensions, but they’re not as large like old fashioned amplifiers.

Powernode N130 as example.

If you're trying to get a lot into a little space, all-in.one active speakers would indeed be the best option. OTOH, if you also want a sub, I guess the room isn't so small after all.

TEAC is the usual suggestion for small factor systems, but there are alternatives.

In small rooms, on-wall (or even in-wall?) flat speakers can work well. On-Wall Speakers Without a budget, I cannot make any suggestions.

What I did: Old Technics amplifier (full width), Yamaha CD-NT670D (31.4cm wide, now discontinued - no idea why - fantastic little box!), pair of stand-mount closed-back KEF 104aB speakers (bought in 1980). No subwoofer.

What would you do, and why?

Either powered passive or, preferably, true active speakers with a digital pre-amp. I'd choose a pair of actives over separate amp + passive speakers because, chosen wisely, the audio quality will be superior for the same cost. Especially true at the budget end of the market.

Rear ported speakers really don't need much space behind to work as the designer/manufacturer intended. Some quality subs have downward firing ports that exit only a few inches from the floor and those ports can shift a serious amount of air, so a 3 or 4 inch gap behind a small speaker's port exit is sufficient. Therefore small active monitors may fit on the bookshelves OK.

Some budget actives can hiss a little so best check out customer reviews. You won't have to search hard to find numerous great reviews for the JBL 305P Mk2. There are many similar actives in the same £250 to £350 price range. I'd partner active speakers with one of the Topping DAC preamps such as the new E30 Mk2 (no headphone socket) or DX3 Pro+ (with headphone socket). Alternatively, SMSL also make solid DAC preamps. Both brands are sold by ShenzhenAudio. Best check they have sufficient inputs of the right type for you. These type of products don't often have subwoofer outputs and those I mention are no exception. The (discontinued?) Yamaha WXC-50 does and would be a higher priced alternative - maybe only available pre-owned now?

Actives with several input types aren't common so you'll have far less choice though they could offer even better value. Edifier sell some, allegedly, excellent multi-input actives such as the S2000 Mk3 and S1000 Mk2 and S1000W. Not sure if they have subwoofer outputs though. A 2.1 solution, such as the well-reviewed Edifier S350/351DB and S360DB. Maybe Q Acoustics sell a multiple input powered speaker?

Add Sonos Port (designed to integrate with)…

Most small speakers are rear ported, so i'd need a bit of space behind them.
Why does this get repeated so often?
The placement of your speakers depends on room dimensions and is measured from wall to center of driver to which the cabinet is tuned (i.e the 'bass' driver').
The bigger the room the further this driver 'needs' to be from the wall.
e.g room width 3.5m driver from this wall generally under 50cm, room length 8m driver from 'rear/front' wall over 1m.
Ok you don't want to block the rear port however 5cm clearance should be sufficient 10cm easy enough.
If you are going to use a sub then try and find some sealed cabinet speakers.

If your tv has a sub out option just get a sub to start off with and use the tv speakers. I mean it's just a bedroom and tv's accept all sorts of sources!

I’d go for a good dac/preamp and actives too.

This is excellent and you won’t need a wim as all the streaming you’d need is included as well as Bluetooth.

And a pair of these.

Or even these if you feel you’d need bigger speakers, but the 5s will surprise you with their scale and bass.

A most useful sub would be the many times suggested BK electronics...

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Either powered passive or, preferably, true active speakers with a digital pre-amp. I'd choose a pair of actives over separate amp + passive speakers because, chosen wisely, the audio quality will be superior for the same cost. Especially true at the budget end of the market.

Rear ported speakers really don't need much space behind to work as the designer/manufacturer intended. Some quality subs have downward firing ports that exit only a few inches from the floor and those ports can shift a serious amount of air, so a 3 or 4 inch gap behind a small speaker's port exit is sufficient. Therefore small active monitors may fit on the bookshelves OK.

Some budget actives can hiss a little so best check out customer reviews. You won't have to search hard to find numerous great reviews for the JBL 305P Mk2. There are many similar actives in the same £250 to £350 price range. I'd partner active speakers with one of the Topping DAC preamps such as the new E30 Mk2 (no headphone socket) or DX3 Pro+ (with headphone socket). Alternatively, SMSL also make solid DAC preamps. Both brands are sold by ShenzhenAudio. Best check they have sufficient inputs of the right type for you. These type of products don't often have subwoofer outputs and those I mention are no exception. The (discontinued?) Yamaha WXC-50 does and would be a higher priced alternative - maybe only available pre-owned now?

Actives with several input types aren't common so you'll have far less choice though they could offer even better value. Edifier sell some, allegedly, excellent multi-input actives such as the S2000 Mk3 and S1000 Mk2 and S1000W. Not sure if they have subwoofer outputs though. A 2.1 solution, such as the well-reviewed Edifier S350/351DB and S360DB. Maybe Q Acoustics sell a multiple input powered speaker?
Thanks. Plenty of options to look into. The NAD D 1050 is an option too. It doesnt come with a remote, but it can use one. No sub out, but it does have balanced and unbalanced outputs. Presumably i could sum one of those without effecting the other, and run one to the sub.

I’d go for a good dac/preamp and actives too.

This is excellent and you won’t need a wim as all the streaming you’d need is included as well as Bluetooth.

And a pair of these.

Or even these if you feel you’d need bigger speakers, but the 5s will surprise you with their scale and bass.

A most useful sub would be the many times suggested BK electronics...

The yamaha does seem ideal. I thought about studio monitors, but i was wondering how "nice" they are to listen to. For recording etc, hifi speakers "just wont do" and they need monitors, so they can hear it as its supposed to be etc.... i just want them to sound nice, so ive often wondered if they sound a bit "in your face" if tiu get me. Worth a go though, ill see what i can find.

Thanks

We've got a Rega IO and Brio in bedroom systems in our house. They're not bad but analog only so you need to add streamers etc. We have them paired with Q Acoustics and Dali speakers

I thought about studio monitors, but i was wondering how "nice" they are to listen to. For recording etc, hifi speakers "just wont do" and they need monitors, so they can hear it as its supposed to be etc.... i just want them to sound nice, so ive often wondered if they sound a bit "in your face" if tiu get me.
I do get what you mean. And there is some truth in that, however, there's studio monitors and there's studio monitors. Some are known for a more forward presentation, such as the Yamaha HS5 (which, personally, I find quite "shouty") and there's the KRK Rokit RP range (which I find too laid back). I haven't recently listened to many active studio monitors but from reviews I've seen, most actives are more neutral and fall somewhere inbetween the Yamaha and the KRK house sounds.

Have to say though, if I just wanted pleasant, background music that wouldn't grab my attention and distract me from other activities, like work, I would purchase a mild-mannered passive setup. Perhaps my experiences are not the norm but to my ears, a well-assembled passive system tends to sound "nice" yet unexciting (difficult to know why but has something to do with the way dynamic swings and transients are handled) when compared to a good active (though I imagine there are passive setups out there that may surprise me).

I do get what you mean. And there is some truth in that, however, there's studio monitors and there's studio monitors. Some are known for a more forward presentation, such as the Yamaha HS5 (which, personally, I find quite "shouty") and there's the KRK Rokit RP range (which I find too laid back). I haven't recently listened to many active studio monitors but from reviews I've seen, most actives are more neutral and fall somewhere inbetween the Yamaha and the KRK house sounds.

Have to say though, if I just wanted pleasant, background music that wouldn't grab my attention and distract me from other activities, like work, I would purchase a mild-mannered passive setup. Perhaps my experiences are not the norm but to my ears, a well-assembled passive system tends to sound "nice" yet unexciting (difficult to know why but has something to do with the way dynamic swings and transients are handled) when compared to a good active (though I imagine there are passive setups out there that may surprise me).
Thanks. Its early days yet, so ill see what comes up for sale used.

Ive also got plenty to be reading up on.

Another amp to consider. By all accounts very impressive indeed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom