Small footprint amp

Supersonic72

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hiya all...

This is the first post in this particular forum but I know close to zero about amplifiers apart from wiring one up so hope some more sage readers can set me in the right direction..

I've a regular LG 55" TV, and whilst the sound is ok for regular programme viewing, I also use it for Spotify and gaming where I like a bit more of a kick from the speakers, which they havn't got.. I'm not sure the soundbar route is far better really, the're not much bigger than the speakers built into the display,so thinking some floorstanders might offer more bass, hence the amp to drive them.

Now, I've got a small shelf, in the region of 15cm / 6 inch deep on the TV stand its all on and i'd like it small enough to sit there. I'm not after a seperates sizes amp, something fag-packet / paperback book size ideally, as long as it has a few basic controls and enough power to drive said floorstanding speakers.

Anyone care to recommend, or point me in the direction to a product?

Have you considered self powered speakers with which you need no amp?

How much do you want to spend

I can think of no amp that small that will drive respectable floorstanders.

There are various T-amps and their variants about on eBay but they all lack anything like even barely adequate power.

It's a shame you want floorstanders.

There are any number of active speakers that would suit your needs.

You would not require an amp or preamp to drive them. Simply use the headphone output from your tv.

Those audio pro Addons look impressive for the price.

Haven't heard of them before. I'm intrigued.

Those audio pro Addons look impressive for the price.

Haven't heard of them before. I'm intrigued.

That makes 2 of us. I only found them by googling active floorstanders in hope as I know they exist but usually more expensive. The spec is impressive and one can only hope that the actual is equal to that.

The Pro Addons could be one of those hidden gems. I couldn't see the connections or where they are physically but these look to have more than the average amount of inputs than most actives I've seen.

I'm more of a passive speakers myself but actives have their place. Especially if you only have 1 or 2 sources and limited space.

That makes 2 of us. I only found them by googling active floorstanders in hope as I know they exist but usually more expensive. The spec is impressive and one can only hope that the actual is equal to that.

The Pro Addons could be one of those hidden gems. I couldn't see the connections or where they are physically but these look to have more than the average amount of inputs than most actives I've seen.

I'm more of a passive speakers myself but actives have their place. Especially if you only have 1 or 2 sources and limited space.

The Pro Addons are simply powered speakers Don.

They have an integrated amp in one speaker. The other is fed by a pair of speaker cables from the first.

I still think, if they sound even half decent, that they are bargain considering the inputs and very good looking cabinets.

Might be all any one needs for a tasty looking floor standing hifi.

Paul, I was referrring to the inputs (connections). My bad. I keep referring to things that can be recognised by more than one name without consistency as you can see:facepalm::D

Speakers on a 6" shelf, not going to happen. Yes you can get something to sit on a 6" shelf, but I severely doubt that you are going to be satisfied with it.

There are dozens of amps and speakers to choose from, but you have set near impossible parameters. Yes we can get you a tiny amp and yes we can get you some tiny speaker, that's not the real question though. The real question is - will that tiny amp and those tiny speaker get the job done for you?

Next - Can you give us a working Budget???

The suggestion for Active Speaker or Studio Monitors is a good one, but again, you can only go just so small and still be satisfied.

While I would personally recommend nothing less than 5" bass drivers, there are a few Active Speaker with 4" bass drivers that still deliver pretty good sound quality if you can accept limited bass.

Do you require anything else besides amp/speakers? Would you like to be able to Stream Audio from the Internet; infinitely better than Radio.

Next if this system is connected to the TV, then you have to determine how you are going to control the volume. Typically the TV Volume Control will not work with external Amps and Speakers. You have to rely on the Volume Control of the external device to change volume remotely.

In the most minimal configuration, if you TV has a Headphone out, that will respond to the TV Volume Control and could be used to drive some active speakers.

These are details we can't know with the available information. Check the owners manual and see if the TV has a Headphone output. If it does, life just got simple.

So, what level of quality do you want, and how far do you want to take it?

Here are some small Mackie Studio Monitors -

Macke CR3 - 3" Bass driver - £99 EACH -

Mackie CR3 Multimedia Monitors - Studio Monitors - Headphones & Speakers - Studiospares

There is also a 4" version -

Mackie CR4 Multimedia Monitors - Studio Monitors - Headphones & Speakers - Studiospares

CR Series Multimedia Monitors - Mackie

CR3 - (HxWxD) - 8.2" x 5.5" x 6.2" (208mm x 140mm x 158mm)

CR4 - (HxWxD) - 8.8" x 6.1" x 7.3" (224mm x 156mm x 185mm)

IF you have a Headphone Output, and if you really want tiny speakers, then this would be a fair solution. IF YOU HAVE A HEADPHONE OUTPUT.

If you can handle larger speakers, and if your TV does NOT have a Headphone out, then you can consider the Mackie MR5-MK3 (£114 each) speakers with a Pre-Amp.

MRmk3 Series Studio Monitors - Mackie

Mackie MR5 Mk3 Active Studio Monitor - Studio Monitors - Headphones & Speakers - Studiospares

A very decent Pre-Amp that has Network Streaming, Digital Inputs, and a Remote Control would be the Yamaha WXC-50 -

Yamaha WXC-50 Network Pre-Amp - £329 -

WXC-50 - Overview

Yamaha MusicCast WXC50 Networked Pre Amplifier - Superfi

You won't find a smaller lower cost Pre-Amp than that.

Combine that with any Active Speakers you want.

The other alternative, again hinges on whether you have a Headphone out. If you do, things get easy, if you don't things get more complicated.

IF YOU HAVE A HEADPHONE OUT, and you want minimal cost, and you are willing to forget actually putting the speaker on a shelf, it would be hard to do better than this -

Denon PMA720AE Amplifier - Superfi

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

These are small speakers but they are not tiny speakers.

If you do NOT have a Headphone Output, then you need an amp with Digital Inputs. Most likely an Optical Input.

Yamaha RN301 Networked Receiver - Superfi

Not a tiny amp, but it does have Network Streaming and Digital Inputs.

So, in summary -

If your TV has a Headphone out
them some basic quality speakers like the Mackie CR3 would be sufficient. Simply find a combination of cables or connectors so you can plug the TV Headphone out into the Speakers.

If you DO NOT have Headphone out
, then you need a device that has Digital Inputs (optical most likely), a Remote Control, amp, and speakers. The two key features are DIGITAL INPUTS and a REMOTE CONTROL. The Amp can be a separate amp or it can be built into the speakers as long as you can accommodate the two primary conditions I set - Digital In, Remote Control.

If you have the money, the Yamaha WXC-50 combined with the Mackie CR3 or CR4, would make a good system with more features than you are likely to need. But it is unlikely that you can find a Pre-Amp with Remote Control for less than the Yamaha.

If you go with something like the Denon PMA720 amp and some Stand Mounted speakers, you can add digital inputs for about £25 off of Amazon -

FIIO Digital to Analog Audio Converter - 192kHz: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

That full combination would cost about £325 (amps, speakers, DAC).

The Yamaha WXC-50 Pre-Amp with Mackie CR3 would run about £530. With the larger Mackie MR5, it would be about £560 (assuming my math is right).

One last option, here are some Active Speakers that have their own Remote Control, so to these you could simply add a low cost external DAC (digital to analog converter).

Audioengine A5+ Powered Multimedia Speakers Pair in: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Audioengine A5+W Powered Desktop Speakers (Pair) in Gloss White: Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers

Audioengine A5+ Powered Multimedia Speakers Pair in: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Combine that with the FIIO DAC linked above, and for about £375 you are set.

With a Headphone Out, an amp and speaker whether together in one unit or separate will get the job done.

WithOUT a Headphone Out you need - Digital Inputs (optical), Remote Control, Amp, and Speakers, whether the amp and speakers are in one unit or separate.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Just to add a little on the powered speakers/floorstanders chat.

If you go the powered speakers route, you might not need anything else, because as said you may be able to use your headphone socket or indeed some TVs have a variable audio output.

On the floorstanders, i recently bought a pair of Mackie MR6 mK3, and while i am not suggesting you buy these, they showed me you don't necessarily need floorstanders for a good bass performance. I am fairly sure that you could buy even relatively modest size speakers that would perform admirably

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom