Small fault DV99

G Canavan

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've found a small fault with the speakers on my Pioneer DV99. It seems the covers are only held in place by friction and over time they start to slip away from the rest of the speaker. Is it Sods law or has anyone else noticed it.

I've had mine only about 5 or 6 weeks. I have them on stands that makes them stand vertical which seems to speed up the slipage. When I took the cover off it was only held in place by a sticky backed rubber strip which Ihad to move position to give better grip.Next time you look at yours give the cover a light squeze to see if it moves.

Thanks got mine about the same time first week in March. I have the fronts on stands and the rears on screws to wall which makes them even more vertical. As of now no movement visible on light squeeze. As a subscriber to if it ain,t broke don't fix I'll wait and see. Have a go @ pioneer may be afaulty batch. Did you get the 3 free dvd-audios with yours?

Might just do that, as for the DVD's I had seen some posts giving a list and as there was'nt any I wanted I did'nt bother.

Spoke too soon. Had a look at the centre spkr today sure enough the cover has sprung only on one side.Pushing it back sorts it momentarilybut you can watch it easing back out. How many of yours have sprung?. As it may just be the one or the others might be waiting to come out in sympathy. I'll try Pioneer or JL tomorrow .

I have found that all the covers have started to slip to some degree. The only cure I can think of is some kind of double sided sticky foam as there is nothing that actually holds them in place. For a company such as Pioneer it's a bit of poor design.

Came home today to find one of my covers on the floor , it must have just fell off. Something's not right.

Oh dear - this doesn't bode well. I was seriously considering buying this system. Anyone else with similar issues?

Rang pioneer this morning usual reply go back to supplier,Unable to get through to jl's service dept still waiting for them to come back to me. Yours aren't in a warm position ie over radiators or direct sunlight? just a thought seeing as its only my centre (touch wood) which is under tv though that isn't all that warm.There must be a few more 99'rs out there in the forum we could just be the unlucky ones.

The room i've set up in does get a bit warm during the day, still it should'nt be happening.When I put the cover back on and took a look, there is a bit of foam on one the side and a bit on the front only on one side but it seems to force the cover off rather than keep ti in place.

I think that might be the problem but Iaree it shouldn't happen. Will let you know of any progress.

Life is crap and then there's Pioneer!

I think that might be the problem but I agree it shouldn't happen. Will let you know of any progress.

I’ve had mine since January and nothing has fallen off, it’s in a warm room and it’s had plenty of use!

Got a reply from jl last night(tues) took the centre speaker in this morning and exchanged for the one on display. Ha HA guess what all the verticals had their covers hanging Off. Have asked jl to push pioneer for a response but am trying myself. So far pioneer have just replied to my e- mail with a Don't know why this is happening to your unit. So at least now we have 3 units faulty.

I had the same reply from Pioneer , take it back to your dealer. Is it a bad batch or a design fault , how many people just have not noticed it yet.:mad:

Well they should know now that there's at least 3 units faulty.But they haven't come back to my 2nd mail telling them this.Whats frustrating is I dont want to change it otherwise one could probably reject it.If its a bad batch its wide spread who did you get it from and what do they think?

Yep, me as well. My wife noticed it actually, my left rear appears to be becoming detached from the bottom, there is now a small gap. Sideways on, the speakers do not look the same. The covers move when you touch them. I'm not touching them untill the covers fall off!

You wont get any response from pioneer again they have come back with a ''take them back and exchange them''. This is despite pointing out that there are at least 3 (now 4) customers with this problem. One would have thought they would at least acknowledge the problem and say they were investigating it. How long have you had yours Garion?

six weeks. I brought them from Richer Sounds, when the cover falls off...or when it really bothers me enough, I will take them back to the shop. The after sales service there is really good.
Hopefully they won't let me down.

Thanks thats about the same as G Canavans and mine.Getting them changed isn't the problem its getting the manufacturer to admit there is a problem thats annoying.

I too had this problem and took the speakers in to Richer Sounds to be replaced with new ones from another box.. Same problem with new ones. Told Richer Sounds and they were fantastic about it, gave me a refund even though i'd had the system 2 months. Have now got £400 burning a hole in my pocket!! Am loathe to go back to Pioneer after this fiasco but dammit the DVD player was sooo nice on that system. Am feeling the lure of the DV990, need to see it in the flesh but looks like the speakers don't have the build to be able to slip off like the previous ones (hope they're not made in indonesia).. Really would like to find something from Richer Sounds after they're wonderful service too.

WOW! seems like richer sounds are the boys when it comes to customer service, i.e. THEY ACTUALLY HAVE SOME!!!!!! :laugh:

I am gutted to read about these problems now, after buying mine last week! So 5 weeks to go then to wait for speaker slippage!

Can't believe Pioneer won't bother to help, useless.

Just been into John Lewis and they've got the DV99 on display.. The speaker grills were just about hanging on! Absolute rubbish!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom