Small family estate. it's like wearing slacks.

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Piscauk, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Piscauk

Piscauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +530
    So, is that special time in every man's life he is looking at a small family estate. Thinking of a fabia estate at moment, economical and reliable enough, plus compact enough for wife to learn to drive in. Got a Mark VI polo at the moment, so needs to be bigger than that whilst still low insurance group. Looking at up to around £5k or so, unless there is some unbeatable deal on nearly new.

Am in thinking in the right regard for a different car, is there other models I should consider? Thought about 307SW, maybe Focus estate but not so keen on those just from scanning through

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,492
    How small is small? The Focus and Golf would generally be considered the next size up from the Fabia, they're almost as long as the Octavia (which is a lengthened previous generation golf chassis).

Also, are you specifically after an estate? There are plenty of hatchbacks that size if you only need the space and not the flat load floor and plenty of small MPVs that'll give you both.

3. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    In the last few years I've lived with (for varying degrees of time) a Mk5 Golf 5-door, a Fabia estate and a 307SW.

The 307SW was the biggest and most practical inside, a good drive, plenty of storage space, but horrendously unreliable and felt very cheap.

The Golf (Mk5 GT Sport) was the nicest drive, best quality and had a decent sized boot for a car of its size, but by far the smallest in this company. Bigger than a Polo for sure, but a moderate hatchback boot, not an estate. It wasn't particularly reliable and the interior is dull.

The Fabia was somewhere between the two in build and quality stakes, had an impressive sized boot for it's overall size, but I found it extremely uncomfortable to drive. That's a personal thing though and the model I had only had basic seats, which are to be avoided IMO. Otherwise, decent enough.

If it were my money, I'd avoid all of these cars, not one of them I'd pay out of my own pocket for (mine were all company cars).

The Focus estate would be a much better option, IMO. It's hardly a good looking car, it won't win beauty awards, but there is a reason they are so common.

4. Piscauk

Piscauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +530
    I drove an 08 Focus hatch for a month or so in 2008 and found it a very assured ride. Not exciting but handling was responsive, felt a well put together car. Are the Ford TDCI engines any good? I'd be looking at those or a 1.6 petrol, although the 1.0 does look intriguing but new is likely too rich for my lemonade money :)

5. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    The TDCi engines are very good. Not as refined or as ultra-economical as some of the competition, but still very good. Very 'Ford' - solid, if unspectacular.

6. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    If you're going for a tdci engine, go for as high a power as you can get.
    The wife's Fiesta 1.6 tdci was 86bhp, which should be more than enough for a Fiesta.
    In reality, it was a breathless slug.
    I believe the higher output engines have a different turbo which alleviates the breathlessness.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  7. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    Agreed , watch out for the 1.8 8 valve , woeful :(

8. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    Volvo V50 D2 or D3 mate. Based on the Focus floor pan, but better engines and a much classier feel (IMHO)

Now replaced by the V40, so cheap as chips at the moment. Virtually all have leather and all have climate and excellent driving dynamics.

Not huge inside, but as big as a Focus estate and bigger than a 308.

9. Piscauk

Piscauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +530
    Had an S40 which I in no way loved, bit it was a solid car for sure. Drove the old V40 a lot, found it very thirsty and the boot wasnt the best use of the space available. I'll look at them though, they do feel more premium