Small EFFICIENT monitors

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have decide to go back to using my Leak stereo 20 and rid myself of a pair of Kwef Duettes as they are not a good match. Ok with the HK Ive been using but just too bright for the Leak. I guess them being 4 ohm speakers may have something to do with it They are also far too big for my room so I'm going small and maybe using a BK sub which I have to enhance bass. I guess a minimum of 90 db would be nice preferably 91 or 92 db. Any suggestions please?My budget stands at a max of £500 so I may to look second hand . Snell type K come to mind but they like gold dust. Also they musnt be room fussy ie back wall and corners. this is duie to the smallness of the room 12ft x 10ft .Would the small Kef Q speakers work with a valve amp?

la gran siete said:
On pair that comes to mind is AUDIONOTE ANK but can I find them on the net ie price??

Audionote AN-K is apparently virtually identical to the original Snell type K,but as to prices,I couldnt find any.

May be worth a call to AudionoteUK if you're interested,but I'd listen first,as their speakers are definitely geared towards SET designs.

alexs2 said:
Audionote AN-K is apparently virtually identical to the original Snell type K,but as to prices,I couldnt find any.

May be worth a call to AudionoteUK if you're interested,but I'd listen first,as their speakers are definitely geared towards SET designs.

What do you mean by SET deisgns

la gran siete said:
What do you mean by SET deisgns

Apologies...tube-speak for Single Ended Triode.

That particular type of amp is very sensitive to changes in load impedance,and also traditionally quite low powered,hence the use of either horn loaded speakers,or speaker systems with very simple low order crossovers.

Maybe I should rag my Leak to the nearest audio note dealer( think I've found one - Heatherdale audio) and see what they suggest.

If you can get a chance to listen to the combination of your Leak and the AN speakers it should be a very good way of avoiding any problems.
I think that load-wise the AN-Ks should be fine...it's just a matter of whether or not you like the sound.

alexs2 said:
If you can get a chance to listen to the combination of your Leak and the AN speakers it should be a very good way of avoiding any problems.
I think that load-wise the AN-Ks should be fine...it's just a matter of whether or not you like the sound.

Tonal balance I suppose. I know it doesnt suit my Kefs at all sounding far too bright and harsh in the louder passages.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom