1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Ears - Need Headphones to match

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Blackspeech, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Advice required as above.

I am not looking to pay more than £40.
    I have small ears and normal sized buds make them feel bad.
    Listening to classical, thru guitar and ballads (no Trance, Dance etc).
    I prefer in-ear type, though if pushed would try conventional style.

Just abandoned idea of Sony HD5 due to button cracking and don't want something in headphones where 1. the wire is dodgy or short and 2. the sound is poor.

I use an original pair of HD 414 at home - but the bright yellow pads (new)and thickish band would look a bit mad in public(or is it just me).

Cheers for any opinions and advice/pricing.

2. davisneil

davisneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    have you considered the sony ex71s?

your budget doesnt quite stretch to shure e2cs but the sony phones are in the ear canal phone types which come with 3 sizes or silicone plug. the small size is very small but you try each size for the best fit.

As for HD5, its a brilliant player and gives you more control over your sound than an ipod because it has eq adjustment. If you buy a black one the buttons should be fine. mine have not cracked and ive had mine a month.

3. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks mate.

I have ordered (and received) the Sennheiser PX200 from Empire after comparing reviews on the forums with a pair of Sony. It seems the PX200 have less leakage and they get really good reviews overall.

I haven't tried them yet as I am waiting for the MP3 Player I chose which is the 1Gb Sony NW-E407 in Black. It is a lot smaller than the HD5 but holds 46 albums in Atrac :thumbsup: It will do. (I was going to back up photos on the HD5 hence considering it).

I travel into London for work during the week and will take them on the plane to Canada mid-July so the fold up style and carry case are of great use.

Thanks for your input though - and welcome to the forums. :)

4. rp92

rp92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Any comment on how they sound with your portable devices ? What are the resulting sound volume and sound quality ? I'm especially interested as I listen to classical music with portable devices. How "real" is their emphasys on bass with classical music ?

Peppe

5. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They are cool headphones, keep the noise out and bass response is excellent, without colouring the sound too much. I am really conscious of this as the Mission Speakers I have at home supply too much bass for me.

Comfortable to wear and the sound qulaity is great. using the flash player from Sony I have no problems. The only thing I notice is that some older CD's are a little low in the volume area - but the headphones are driven just fine.

Hope this helps.

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Sony EX71's: they are prone to driver failure (I'm on my 2nd pair) as well as having exaggerated bass. Its found bass even when their isn't meant to be any! Just saying with the "sony" sound being slightly leaning towards bass. :)

Panasonic RPHJE50: canal 'phones like the Sony's, not as stylish, but sounds good. In fact the sound is like the Sony without the excess bass. The ear tips aren't as comfy so I use the Sony tips on these instead. Better fit. Try ebay for spares