1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small DLP projectors - yellow a problem colour ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nightsoil, Oct 20, 2005.

1. nightsoil

nightsoil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry if this seems a daft question, but is it common for small DLP projectors not to be able to show yellow correctly?

One of the companies I work for is having real problems getting yellows to show when projecting bar charts (presentations).

The projector supplier said it's a common fault with DLP.. which I find a little hard to believe..

any comments most welcom :D

2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I noticed this when watching The Simpsons the other day that they weren't as yellow as I felt they should be. I put it down to Sky's poor quality broadcasting. Will check out one of my Simpsons DVD's later to see if there's much difference. In all honesty, a DVD should give far better results than Sky anyway.

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    on my TV the simpsons are a vivid yellow, on my projector they are more a matt yellow, but its definitely a yellow......im just guessing because my room has bright walls its difficult to get such a vivid tone for a colour like yellow........altho i dont think its so bad from DVD's, so maybe sky plays some part in that....then again i output through s-video to my amp to my TV (s-video to scart) and as i say, the simpsons are nice and vivid........

4. nightsoil

nightsoil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK, maybe I should try a simpsons DVD rather than playing out a chart via a PC and see if I can see a colour problem..

5. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    TV is fine with Sky connected through RGB scart. With the PJ, my problem may be down to Sky being connected to my amp via S-Video and then onto my PJ via component. The conversion process through my amp may not be giving me as good a result as I had hoped for.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    The colour balance may not be perfect and if the pj has a white segment then the colours will be less saturated. With correct calibration the colour gamut should be pretty accurate with perhaps green being a little toward yellow.

It's not unusual though, and less of a problem with home theater projectors. Quite often blue and green are a little more dominant than red.

Gary.