Small DIY job thread

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
My son was running around a garden door, tripped and fallen on the curtain and pulled the whole curtain rail off the wall. Now I'm left with 5 holes. I need a quick and cheap way of putting the curtain rail back on the wall. I don't want to fill the holes and drill new ones, I don't have a drill and it is too much hassle.

I was thinking about squeezing "no more nails" into the holes together with screws that fallen off, then (after a day or two) attach the curtain rail holders together with the curtain rail to the screws.

Any ideas please?

I'll add some pics soon

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
mOlv7NS.jpg

F7nwJ5s.jpg

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Sounds good.

I'd probably just bung a few matchsticks or cocktail sticks in each hole to allow the screws to get a bite on something and just put the thing back up. If there's rawlplugs in the holes maybe just put one match per hole or a larger rawlplug to fill the hole if the rawlplugs are loose and once again pack with matchsticks to allow you to use the same screws.

Doesn't look like there's too much damage so should be pretty easy.

:)

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Bloody hell! He was just playing with a balloon and banged his face on the corner of a radiator, half an inch from his eye. All swollen now, mrs is holding ice to it. What a day!

I had a closer look and two plugs + screws are still in holes, so I just need to fix 3 remaining ones. How do I measure the size of the plugs and screws to buy a size bigger? I don't have a calliper gauge

nheather

Distinguished Member
Were there even any plugs in there in the first place. I ask because in the picture above (i) No plug on the screw and (ii) signs on plaster on the thread.

If it is solid plaster then I reckon you just need some normal plugs to match the screws (may need to open up the holes a bit. If plasterboard then either use the suggestion above or get some plasterboard screws.

Cheers,

Nigel

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
There were plugs in there, the reason why there are no plugs on the screws is that two of them are broken and still inside.

Took some pics

58K3UJa.jpg

9kMAevo.jpg

L0AO0s8.jpg

WgUBGsU.jpg

4i0TSfJ.jpg

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
No pocket money until about 2019 to pay for that...

nheather

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Those are plasterboard screws.

Either use some bigger ones or the repair plugs linked above or stick the same size ones in with 'use no nails'.

Use No Nails might work because it only needs to grip enough to stop the plug from rotating because the way plasterboard plugs work is that they clamp from behind as the screw is tightened.

This is like what you have in at the moment

B&Q Plasterboard Plugs 50 Pack, 0000005041862

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
I was thinking about completely filling up all (3) holes with "no nails" and while it is still fresh, just stick back the screws in it and let it set. The reason is that there are broken plugs inside already (most likely hard to get out).

BTW I don't think those are the plugs I have, I got a bit out and it looks just like a normal plug (ie round, not plasterboard one). That wall is the back wall (ie main wall with garden door) so I presume it is brick (or something similar).

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
D

Deleted member 30535

If it were me I'd be tempted to fill the holes with polyfilla, smooth off and paint. Then move the holes about a cm to one side. You can still centralise the rail because it slides on the supports.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
If it were me I'd be tempted to fill the holes with polyfilla, smooth off and paint. Then move the holes about a cm to one side. You can still centralise the rail because it slides on the supports.

Thanks. I know that is the proper way of fixng this, but as I mentioned I don't have a drill. I could probably borrow one (or buy it) but if I can I'll try to fix it easy way first. If it won't work, I'll think about something more heavy-duty.

nheather

Distinguished Member
I was thinking about completely filling up all (3) holes with "no nails" and while it is still fresh, just stick back the screws in it and let it set. The reason is that there are broken plugs inside already (most likely hard to get out).

BTW I don't think those are the plugs I have, I got a bit out and it looks just like a normal plug (ie round, not plasterboard one). That wall is the back wall (ie main wall with garden door) so I presume it is brick (or something similar).

If I were trying to do it that way, I'd liberally smear Use No Nails around the shaft of the plug, leaving the rear mechanism free. Then push the plug in, wipe any excess that splurts out with kitchen towell and leave to set.

With a good dollop of luck this will be enough to hold the plug in place whist you tighten the screw and the rear part of the plug clamps against the back of the plasterboard.

No guarantee, depends on how much bigger the hole has become and how stable the plaster is. A bigger plug or one of those screw in plugs listed above would be better.

Cheers,

Nigel

aVdub

Banned
I'd also pay a little more on the replacement screws which should avoid them snapping like that when pressure is applied.

You don't have a drill..,do you wee sat down also? :)

I'd go with the two part resin solution, but everyone else has given great advice too.

Good luck!

Thanks. I know that is the proper way of fixng this, but as I mentioned I don't have a drill. I could probably borrow one (or buy it) but if I can I'll try to fix it easy way first. If it won't work, I'll think about something more heavy-duty.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
The thing is, I need to do it this weekend, because we have a inspection coming next week. Unfortunetly Toolstation is nowhere near me, so the only option remaining is my local B&Q. I'll have a look what they have there today later on. Thanks for all the help :)

One more question, how do I get the broken plugs from the 2 holes out?

aVdub

Banned
The thing is, I need to do it this weekend, because we have a inspection coming next week. Unfortunetly Toolstation is nowhere near me, so the only option remaining is my local B&Q. I'll have a look what they have there today later on. Thanks for all the help :)

One more question, how do I get the broken plugs from the 2 holes out?

Either use long nosed pliers, or poke the plugs through into the void behind.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Either use long nosed pliers, or poke the plugs through into the void behind.

I don't think there is a void there. It's a main wall, so I think it goes straight to bricks. And with pliers I am afraid of making the hole even bigger.

It's ok though, I just tried and I can still push screws into those holes even with a broken plugs inside.

The plan then is. I'll squeeze as much as I can of polyester resin or no more nails into holes. Then while still fresh I'll put screws inside, just as I would do with good plugs in there. Let it set for a day or two and hang the curtain rail on the screws. In my simple mind it makes sense and (if polyester resin or no more nails will be hard enough) it should hold the rail and curtains as well.

aVdub

Banned
I don't think there is a void there. It's a main wall, so I think it goes straight to bricks. And with pliers I am afraid of making the hole even bigger.

It's ok though, I just tried and I can still push screws into those holes even with a broken plugs inside.

The plan then is. I'll squeeze as much as I can of polyester resin or no more nails into holes. Then while still fresh I'll put screws inside, just as I would do with good plugs in there. Let it set for a day or two and hang the curtain rail on the screws. In my simple mind it makes sense and (if polyester resin or no more nails will be hard enough) it should hold the rail and curtains as well.

Ic

As long as you don't place any weight on the resin set plugs/screws I cannot see a problem with that. A day or two, with a little wiggle of the screws to check first should be fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution