Small desk speaker advice please

kolofan

Active Member
Hi, like a lot of people I am now a home worker and I’m trying to make my desk setup a nice place to be. I currently have a Cambridge Audio one system which allows me to plug in all my different bits of kit plus it has DAB which I listen to all the time. My question is about speakers. Currently i have 20 year+ old Sony speakers from an old mini stereo sat on my desk either side of my 27 inch screen. They sound great to me but they are too big. I want to replace them but I’m not sure what with.

90% of the time i am sat at the desk less than 1m away from the screen and speakers. The other 10% of the time I’m in a chair about 3m away. I don’t listen to anything very loud, it’s mostly Spotify or Teams calls with a bit of gaming, I am not an audiophile by any stretch and I really just want something that is small but decent. If i didn’t have the Cambridge audio system i probably would have tried to go for powered speakers like the Kanto Yu2 but i like having all the inputs so want regular wired speakers to plug into what i have already.

I have been considering the radius 45 speakers which i think are normally surround satellites. They are just 10cm high/wide/deep which is much smaller than normal bookshelf speakers and I am hoping that they would satisfy my simple needs. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether they’d do the job?
Thanks
 

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
They’ll sound like little tin boxes sir. Way to small to have any depth by themselves. You’d need to a sub. Even a tiny one would be better than listening to the MAs without.
 

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
But if you can squeeze them in, these are better.

 

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I’d forgotten about these.

Small, but a world better than the MAs for your needs.


But, again, if you can squeeze the QAs in, you’ll get lots more enjoyment.
 

kolofan

Active Member
Thanks for the responses. Interesting on the denon ones as they are about the same size as the ones I'm interested in.

I appreciate that bigger will be better but if things like Tivoli speakers can get rave reviews I was hoping the search for small non-active speakers wouldn't be so tough
 

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member

I have these connected to my computer and they sound great from 1m away, plenty of bass as well so no tin box here.
This Denon system is no longer available at HifiX.

I have found it here at an absolute bargain price if they have any in stock:


Definitely worth a punt at that price, regardless.
 
Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Active speakers, especially very small ones us the power of DSP to force the small drivers to do things with bass that passive control cannot do.

The Denon above does the same. The DSP forces the drivers past their passive competence then compensates for the inevitable distortion.

The Denon speakers also have a passive radiator, making the effective sound radiating area considerably larger.

And the Denon above only claims bass to 70Hz so it’s still not too good.
 

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
This Denon system is no longer available at HifiX.

I have found it here at an absolute bargain price if they have any in stock:


Definitely worth a punt that price, regardless.

😳

That’s a daft price. If there are any left it is certainly worth a shot.

I’d be surprised if it sounds as good as the CA and the Sony speakers, but who knows.
 

kolofan

Active Member
Thanks both, have enquired about the denons, would be a steal at that price.

Thanks for the insights about active vs passive. Learning all the time.

Not sure where I got tivoli from, was thinking about the ruark mr1 set in my head but the fingers didn't follow
 

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Thanks both, have enquired about the denons, would be a steal at that price.

Thanks for the insights about active vs passive. Learning all the time.

Not sure where I got tivoli from, was thinking about the ruark mr1 set in my head but the fingers didn't follow

If you can stretch to the Ruarks, they are something quite special by every account.
 

password1

Distinguished Member
Dali Spector 1 or Oberon 1 might be suitable? Dali recommend no toe in so they might be more suitable and easier to place on your desk and save space.

The compact Wharfedale Diamond 12.0 should be considered as well if within budget.
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom