Small Cinema room Projector replacement help needed please....

I am borrowing an Optoma DS316L (reference here Optoma DS316L DLP Projector | Product overview | What Hi-Fi?) - which is an old projector - and would like something more up-to-date and efficient.

Even this old projector is showing off a good immersive picture when watching a movie - so I don't need anything expensive - I would like to at least match the reliability of an Optoma - perhaps higher resolution - to be at 'least' as bright (I am projecting onto a pale coloured wall not a screen) - it would be nice to have HDMI input (currently I am using VGA) - and for it not to blow so much hot air as this one does.

So a good budget reliable replacement would be fantastic with the requirements as detailed above.

Thank you.

Harkon321

Explaining your budget will help people make some recommendations. I'd also keep an eye on the classifieds as I've picked up many a bargain from there.

Explaining your budget will help people make some recommendations. I'd also keep an eye on the classifieds as I've picked up many a bargain from there.

Under £300. I could look at the classifieds but I would need to know what I am looking for based on my requirements listed above.

Harkon321

At that budget I'd just be looking for what you can get for your money. I wouldn't worry too much about features etc. I'll have an Epson 6600 which I'll be selling in next couple of months for similar money. Something like that, if the bulb has some life in it, is worth a look. Loads of models though. Buying on here gives you better chance of picking up something decent than risking ebay etc im my opinion.

At that budget I'd just be looking for what you can get for your money. I wouldn't worry too much about features etc. I'll have an Epson 6600 which I'll be selling in next couple of months for similar money. Something like that, if the bulb has some life in it, is worth a look. Loads of models though. Buying on here gives you better chance of picking up something decent than risking ebay etc im my opinion.

That looks like a nice projector - contact me when you are ready to sell - it looks ideal! I will add that the room is only 11ft long (which is 3.3 metres). Plus annoyingly the projector will be sitting on the window sill between the occupants of the sofa, which is why I would like a quieter projector and one that does not blow hot air into your ear (due to the close proximity of the seating position and the projector as it currently stands).

Harkon321

You can check out the db sound level on the specs of most machines online. My projector, and many more, exhaust vent out the front. If it is sat behind you, you might want something with a side vent if you can find one.

You can check out the db sound level on the specs of most machines online. My projector, and many more, exhaust vent out the front. If it is sat behind you, you might want something with a side vent if you can find one.

Funnily enough the current Optoma blows out to the side - the side where the person sitting to the right gets it in the left ear :).

So blowing out to the front maybe better in my situation. Or better still out the top.

I was just on the phone to Richer Sounds - it seems that I need to consider a short throw projector because many by default can throw out a very big image. In my case the room boundaries narrow down to 6ft across where the picture will be displayed.

I think by fluke - the current stand in 2010 Optoma DS316L is scaled perfectly for this relatively small space.

Harkon321

Further research leads me into thinking that a short throw projector is needed. I also have another room where I would like to use a projector in which I would place it more centrally - the room (which we call the Den where we watch our old LG Plasma 50" TV) is 11ft by 11ft - I would place the projector in the middle of the room for projecting upwards onto the wall.

So the projector in the Den would only be about 4ft from the wall.

Hi again - I've been recommended the Optoma DH350 for my needs - native HD - not a great deal of money (although above my £300 threshold) - what do you think?

I ended up with an Optoma 143x - but the throw was too long so I had to take it back (sorry Richersounds). I have now elected to buy a BenQ TH671ST - which seems a decent short throw projector for the money.... I will see how I get on with this instead.

I now have the BenQ ST - it's a perfect little machine for providing an instant home cinema in a small room where you can keep the projector in front of you. I'm no videophile (I am an audiophile which takes financial priority as well as the bills) - so I haven't got 4K neither do I have surround sound.

The BenQ ST will sit in front of me - with the HDMI lead from the BenQ feeding into the front of my existing Marantz NR1506 receiver aux port - the NR1506 in turn feeds a stereo pair of Triangle Comete speakers. Voila - instant cinema coupled with good (non-surround) sound without fuss and little cost.

This projector is excellent in all three rooms I have tried it in in the home.

Can anyone recommend me a white stand for it to sit on - preferably one that tilts upwards so that I don't have to put coasters underneath it? The stand itself will sit on the coffee table.

Also I am looking for a chromecast or similar HDMI media stick - again white would be nice - because that can be powered by the USB port of the BenQ. One that support Netflix and Disney Plus.

I'm hoping too that the media stick will allow me to connect to a bluetooth wireless speaker. Keeps it all neat in the lounge (The Den already has a good sound system but a BT speaker will do in the Lounge).

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom