1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small children and expensive gear!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by faggy292, Oct 1, 2005.

1. faggy292

faggy292

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is quite long winded but i need some advise and you need the info if your going to help, so here it goes:

My Younger brother (he is 10 years old) managed to get into my room the other day as he wanted to use my ps2, I have two amps in there that are all connected to bits an bobs in my room.

He knows which amp to turn on for the ps2, but didnt realise it wasnt connected up to my speakers, (A pair of mordaunt short 904's) he turned the other amp on and cranked up the volume to see if I had changed the wiring round.

He then found the speaker wire from the actual amp that had the ps2 wired into it and had a go himself at connecting it up 2 the speakers. He found the connectors at the back of the speakers and not knowing what the bi-wiring connections were on the back, and only being 10, he came to the conclusion that they were for connecting up more then one amp at a time to the speakers.

Finding that this did work and the speakers made the sound for his game, he thought it would b a good idea to put the radio on the other amp and have both going at the same time, in doing this both amps detected an overload and cut the power to the speakers, at this point he decided to come and get me.

I quikly terned off the power to both amps an pulled out one set of the speaker cables. I listened to the speakers, to see if I could hear any sounds of damage, they both sounded the same, but i noticed one was slightly more bassy then the other, an then wired them to the other amp to see if it was the amp or the speakers, but i got the same affect.

You can only notice this if you go up close to the speakers, which I must admit I have never done before this time as i havent had time to properly place them, I have just got them out and wired them up for the time being. Im not sure if its just were they are placed in the room making this affect (one is more to the side of the room and more towards the corner, the other is slightly more out in the middle of it all a bit, my rooms quite a funny shape as it is and i havent moved the furniture 2 accomodate the speakers yet, I have just roughly placed them either side of my TV). But Im not sure if the speakers themselfs have been damaged.

Sorry to make this such an essey but, any advise will be a great help. Cheers

2. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    A good test in this situation would be to swap the speakers and see if you can hear the same thing in the swapped speaker. However if your putting the speaker in a corner it will definatly be more prone to producing a boomy mess, its just the way things go.

I was in the same situation as you before. THere was some crazy feed from my tv to a denon amp and it set wrong it produced a nasty v.loud hi-pitched screetch. Needless to say i was paranoid for along time after that and convinced myself there was damage. Its hard not too i guess.

But as mentioned perhaps changing the speakers should rule out placement. It is wierd to think one is more bassy, i guess what you would hear on a damaged speaker would be distortion at certain frequencies. This can be replaced and is not as expensive as you may think.

However, newer amps are quite clever and when they are clipped (i.e. cannot drive the load) they just power off to prevent any damage.

hth!

long winded reply for a long winded ("essey") question ;)

GL!

3. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Sounds to me like the 10year old has swapped one set of speaker cables around...so the amps not in-phase. Swap the speakers + and _ around to see if hes just moved the cables....