Small camera to take out instead of DSLR ...

Buckster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
out of a

Sigma DP2

Oly EP-1 with 14-40

or Panasonic GF-1 - with 14-40

which would you choose ?

just want something I can take out with me instead of the bulk of the DSLR (S5 Pro)

EP1/GF-1 are attracting me with the 720p video capabilities

DP2 with its lovely fovean sensor

The Sigma reviews don't seem great as they imply it's all a bit sluggish.

I'd be after one of the micro 4/3s

Think the Oly gets it for style and the smaller zoom lens, but the Panasonic seems to get better reviews with regards speed, AF etc.
Also refer the electronic viewfinder option with the GF-1.

It's a hard decision. Personally I find it really hard to justify one once you've added up the cost of the kit lens, prime & viewfinder.
I had visions of taking one of these on my holidays with the family (traveling light), with a UWA, lightweight tripod and a set of grads, until I saw an UWA in micro 4/3s is £1000.

But if you have the cash or it's your only system, go for it!

I think I read somewhere (but really don't quote me on this) that Nikon may be releasing one of these in the near future

i'm out of touch on compacts, but just seen a tv ad with twin lcd displays, front and back. i like the novelty factor for sure

How about a Canon G-series?

I have a G9, and while it's a good camera, it's pretty bulky for a small one, and the shutter delay is still slow, so it's a bit neither this nor that, really. I regretted taking it instead of my 30D on my last trip.

Why not check out the Canon S90 - due out by the end of this month. If portability, RAW, manual control and good IQ are important it's a viable option but it doesn't offer HD video. I'll certainly be taking a close look as soon as it's available locally.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom