Small but potent 5.1 all in one?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Matt_C, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Asking for a friend - he doesn't really want to go "separates" with an AVR and mix n match speakers etc - just wants something small in size, but still able to handle movie audio and not wimp out when it comes to explosions etc!

The only two sources to be plugged into it are a PS3 and LCD TV. PS3 is used for Blu-Ray, DVD and PS3 games, TV has Freeview built in. I don't think he's that fussed about getting pseudo-surround from the TV - probably won't turn the 5.1 kit on unless a movie or game is being played anyway

So anyone got any idea's for (ideally) under the £200 mark, for something small (as in small satellite speakers and sub), nice looking, preferably black and with the right connections to plug in a PS3 (and a Sony V3000 LCD - which I'll managed to convince him to hook up for a bit of 2.1 on music channels ;) )

2. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Slightly over budget but htddwg800 would seem to fit the criteria. Takes LPCM over hdmi too, meaning hd audio from ps3. :smashin:

3. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Possibly a bit too on the "bulky" side for what he's after. Something really subtle I think is the key, so you don't really notice either the speakers or amp/reciever. I was thinking along the Logitech lines, but they look a bit TOO flimsy and not to pretty....

4. rheumatoid

rheumatoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I went for the panasonic 460 cos of its size - particulalry the subwoofer but it can still belt out a noise has a useful ipod dock and can be had for around £125

Jon

5. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Don't think that'll work for what it's needed for - doesn't even have an optical input by the looks of it! Not really after anything with built in DVd players or anything - just an audio processing unit with optical input for audio from the PS3 (or HDMI if the processing unit can accept multichannel audio over HDMI and have an HDMI output to pipe the video back to the TV) and a few analogue inputs for the TV and anything else that might need to be connected...

6. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Well there's the yamaha av63+ (the + version takes lpcm over hdmi), but it's quite similar in size to the htddwg800.

There's the htss1300, but it's maybe a bit more than what he's willing to pay - nearer £300 i think but shop around... This also takes lpcm over hdmi.

And there's the htsf1200, except it has tallboys rather than satellites - lpcm over hdmi from that one too.

They all have a few hdmi and optical inputs, plus digital coax and phono... Any better?

7. rheumatoid

rheumatoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It certainly does have optical in - thats how my bluray is connected.

Is not well blessed with inputs though

8. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    I was looking at the manual on Panasonics site and it showed no optical input - strange!

Thanks for the replies guys - but think I'm still searching. I feel for my friend tho - he likes most of what he's seen so far, but I think the SWMBO factor isn't willing to comprimise! ;)

9. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    He could look at the onkyo htx22hd - it's a 2.1ch system but upgradeable to 5.1ch... No bulky amp with it as the amp is built in to the sub.

10. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Would your friend consider a Soundprojector?

I have just bought a Yamaha HTY-760 for under £200 from a Yamaha dealer on ebay. I doubt you can get anything better for the money.

It doesn't have a subwoofer, but this can be added later. Has a number of different connections including HDMI for the PS3.

I don't think SWMBO would complain at the look. It is a huge improvement over standard TV speakers and has great build quality.