Small but perfectly formed - Tamron 90 macro

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by jomike, May 3, 2007.

1. jomike

jomike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Starting to get the hang of macro shooting.
    The focussing technique is a bit different in that you set the focus to manual, then move the camera forward or back until you get focus. The Tamron 90 macro lens has a nifty sliding focus ring arrangement to quickly switch between auto and manual focus. Once you have mastered this "swaying" focus technique, handholding at 1:1 is quite easy.
    I am also starting to shoot at apertures smaller than f20 to get adequate DOF. I can't really see any obvious diffraction softening, but the lens is so sharp anyway that you probably have some more leeway. The only problem is that sensor dust really shows at these apertures. I rushed to order some Eclipse and Sensor Swabs when I saw how much it shows.

Here's one I shot this morning. A tiny moth, about 4 mm, but beautifully marked.

Click on image to see larger sizes.

[​IMG]

Mike

2. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Lovely image there mike. I really must start getting out and about with my macro lens. Cheers, Simon.

3. fuzed

fuzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    i love my tamron macro, fab little lens and the detail you can get with it is astounding! :)
    nice shot there! :)

4. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Lovely image Mike...:thumbsup:

You were doing similar with the Sigma though;)

You really must not go about encouraging people here to spend money on lenses!!:devil:!

You would make an entomologist envious by the skill with which you seem to find your little friends!

Have you cropped off the dust bunny ? I don't seen one TBH

5. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I had a look at this image at it's original size on your Flickr and your dust bunnies don't appear to be that bad at all (either that or mine are absolutely horrendous!) but the main thing that struck me is how much more stunning this picture could be if it was cropped down and with the moth itself being displayed at nearly full size.

6. jomike

jomike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    You should see the original dust bunnies before I got to them with the clone stamp!
    As I said, this moth was really tiny. The lens was set at 1:1 and I have already cropped this by about 30%. The D50 only has 6MP after all. (Don't get me started about needing a D80).
    As I said before, the Tamron 90's images are just so much sharper, colourful and contrasty than the Sigma 70-300 APO.
    If you thought that you got funny looks when shooting in public places, you should try lying flat on your stomach pointing the camera lens into the undergrowth! Most people just give you a wide berth and avoid eye contact with this obviously crazy person, but the occasional soul wants to know why you would bother taking pictures of boring insects. Usually showing them the photo on the LCD and zooming in changes their mind.

Mike

7. BananaTiger

BananaTiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Lovely sharp photos. I've heard good reviews of this glass and I can see why :thumbsup: