Small Budget ICE set up (van)

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by superdon, Nov 29, 2010.

1. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Need to sort out a new set up for my new VW T4 camper.

Want a stereo that I can attach my iphone/ipod to, preferably with control as well. Also, bluetooth for mobile calls and some music streaming. Also needs a remote control. CD player would be nice, but not essential.

I plan to get a TV of some kind in the back. Maybe straight away, or I might have to wait. So, I would want to be able to get the sound wired up to the stereo. Also, if the TV doesnt have built in DVD (which it probably will I guess) I would want the stereo to be able to play DVDs. Cant decide if I should go flip down roof mounted or a standard TV with built in freeview/DVD, like the £99 one from Richer Sounds.

I also need a couple of speakers for in the back of the van and a pair of upgrades for the front.

Not looking for anything amazing, and cant afford it, but something reasonable and reliable and a good upgrade over the old original stereo.

Budget is pretty much non existant! I reckon I have maybe £300 or £350 for the lot!

Am I better looking on Ebay or second hand?

Have no ideas when it comes to ICE so any help would be appreciated.

2. petrolheed

petrolheed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    A colleague bought one of these: ES198V In Dash HD Car DVD Player DVB-T GPS Sat Nav PiP on eBay (end time 05-Dec-10 02:07:07 GMT)

and it is fantastic, the sound quality from the built in amp is surprisingly good, and it has bluetooth handsfree, a2dp streaming, ipod control, dvd, freeview, igo8 sat nav. the supplied freeview aerial is crap though for a camper you'd want something better. for a camper rear speaker what about wall mounting a couple of home surround speakers?

3. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I did think about something like this, but was worried about the quality and how long it would last? How longs he had it?

Not sure if I described what I wanted clearly enough. In the front I am thinking a standard head unit. In the back, a TV/DVD/Freeview that links to the front head unit for sound.

4. petrolheed

petrolheed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    He's had it 2 months, so no long term info yet, although my eonon 4.3" dvd is still going 4 years down the line. I knew you werent asking about these headunits in particular but if your on a budget it ticks all the boxes, only thing you would need to add would be an aerial, and a dumb slave screen in the back, having freeview and dvd in the headunit means you can pick up a non freeview screen for the back as a clearance bargain.:smashin:

5. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Mmmm, gotcha. Nice idea about standard home speakers for the back too. Something to think about.

Did his work out of the box for sat nav and freeview? I know you said I would need a better aerial for freeview, but would that just be a plug in? Oh, and was it sent from UK or Hong Kong?

Sorry for the questions, I know its not yours so you might not be able to answer.

Decisions, decisions.

6. petrolheed

petrolheed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    came from china but never got hit with import tax, aerial needed an adapter off ebay to upgrade, freeview radio is pretty good even while driving, satnav worked fine out the box but reading online it can be tricky if you want to change programs, needs a bit of configuration so make sure you tell the seller what you want preinstalled.
    I would try to find a uk seller though just in case for any returns.

7. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Am still unsure of the all in one head units. Keep chaning my mind.

Todays potential 'wish list' is as follows.....

JVC KD-R811 Head Unit - £125

Infinity Reference 4032 (front replacements) - £32

Infinity Reference 9633 6x9s (for the back) - £50

Flip TV/DVD for the back (Chinese brand) - approx £100

Freeview Box - £50

Aerial (Necvox?) - £50

Doesnt seem too bad for around £400 total?

Any thoughs/comments?