1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small AV Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by garreth64, Sep 14, 2002.

1. garreth64

garreth64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ive had my AV setup for around 3 years and am now looking for some smaller speakers to be less obtrusive in the living room (wife's idea!) as we have just had some building work done.

I currently have the following:

Mission 771e Fronts
    Mission 77C1 centre
    Mission 77DS rears
    Yamaha YSTW-90 Sub

Connected to:

Yamaha RXV795aRDS Amp
    Yamaha DVDS795

The other half want's Bose speakers as they are tiny, but ive listened to them and thought they were ok but not as good as my current setup. (The cheap ones sounded poor ,only the £1000 ones seemed acceptable to me).

Anyway, Ive always thought of Bose as not proper HiFi.

My other choice is the Mission FS2AV or the new (cheaper) FS1s but Ive yet to hear them so has anyone any advice on whether these will sound comparible to my current missions?

I may want to upgrade to 6.1 and beyond in the future and I think the FS1 prevents this. I also understand it is possible to add extra FS2 speakers to the set. Is this worth looking at?

Are there any alternatives I could look at? My budget is only around £500-£800 at the moment as the extension has cost a fortune and just bought a new car as well!

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. PaulaB

PaulaB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the fs2-av set and am intending to upgrade to 6.1 next month. I am happy with my set.

4. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Mark,just a note of warning,if you ask me small speakers can never sound as good as decent sized ones.I have the Energy take 5 package and even though i like them a lot,bigger speakers will always sound better, ....especially for music.

5. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    After hearing the Gallo Micro's earlier on today that statement is so wide of the mark it's crazy. These babies are awesome! When Uncle Eric said they gave his M&K's a run for there money he was not exaggerating!!

There one of those bit's of HiFi kit that come along once in a blue moon and make the whole thing worthwhile :D

Now to start saving!!!!!

Cheers

Dave

6. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Orbital...where did you hear them.?

My comment was based on my past experience.Of all the speakers i've had its always been the case that the large full sized ones sound fuller and bigger than the small ones.
    I presently have a Energy take 5 satellite system and even though its a good system,my large hi-fi speakers kick them into touch on music.

I just dont feel that sattelite speakers can compete.I'd like to be proved wrong btw.

7. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The guy who I work with has just got some and I drove over to listen to them this morning. He's been after some speakers with WAV for quite a while, but hadn't come across anything that floated his boat. I told him about the Micro's and how they might be worth a look. Needless to say he went and demoed a set and he bought them there and then!!! (forgot to tell him about the power buy Uncle Eric is doing at the moment, oops!)

They really do sound like nothing on earth. No matter how hard you drive them they just keep going. They don't get sqeaky and always sound like they've got everything under control. They really are special.

Initially I was in the same camp as you. I just couldn't imagine how little speakers could ever come anywhere close to full blown floorstanders but somehow these manage it. I don't know how, I'll leave that to Uncle Eric or Nic to explain. Personally I think it's magic pixie dust :D

Cheers

Dave

8. Mark.balcombe

Mark.balcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have just purchased and installed the Mission FS1 AV package.

Can recommend it. Sounds superb and is superb value.

For £459 you get 100W sub, 4 NXT speakers, all cabling, Stands for Front speakers, 4 x bookshelf stands and 2 x wall brackets.

Looks great and speakers are very small.

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,
    These things really are incredible. Its hard to convince people that the tiny Nucleus Micro spheres kill 90% of speakers out there. I can safely say that whoever comes over to listen to my dem set has to pick their jaws off the floor.

10. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I wonder, has Eric become a Gallo dealer?

11. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sure have. Mainly because they are a great niche product and in terms of performance they will beat anything for the price. Their compact dimensions and good looks are the icing on the cake.
    Anyone who has heard these will confirm.

As an aside, rest assured that my observations, honesty and integrity remains firmly intact.
    A few weeks ago I was sent some equipment to evaluate and post a review. This "equipment" was so bad that I refuse to have anything to do with it. Money is not the be all and end all of life.

12. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I think you've read into my post a little too much there Eric, it was purely a mild observation, and an accurate one at that.

Congratulations on your new unbiased and impartial professional venture. I look forward to hearing these minute speakers on October 3rd in London.

Rgds

Snowman