Small Apartment Living Room -- 5.1 vs FloorStanding??

Viking827

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently searching for a sound system for my apartment living room. It's a relatively small room (probably no more than 12x12 ft.) so I don't think we need anything ground-shaking (especially for the respect of our downstairs neighbors ;)), but I want them to impress as well.

I'm pretty set on the Onkyo 606 receiver, and I'm trying to figure out what speakers to get to start off my system without going much over $1200 for everything. We'll be using it for movies and TV more often than music.

I'm into Klipsch (I have an awesome 2.1 set for my computer so I like their sound) and I'm trying decide whether it would be better in the long run to invest in some nice floor standing speakers and completing the setup later instead of going for the full, less expensive 5.1 setup right away such as the Quintet III + Sub. But would floor standing speakers be overkill for our smaller room? I've also heard that surround sound is less effective in smaller rooms as well, so I really am at a loss.

And if I do decide on floor standing speakers, which Klipsch ones give the most bang for their buck? Or are there other brands I should strongly consider?

Thanks so much for your help in advance!

Hey everyone,

I'm currently searching for a sound system for my apartment living room. It's a relatively small room (probably no more than 12x12 ft.) so I don't think we need anything ground-shaking (especially for the respect of our downstairs neighbors ;)), but I want them to impress as well.

I'm pretty set on the Onkyo 606 receiver, and I'm trying to figure out what speakers to get to start off my system without going much over $1200 for everything. We'll be using it for movies and TV more often than music.

I'm into Klipsch (I have an awesome 2.1 set for my computer so I like their sound) and I'm trying decide whether it would be better in the long run to invest in some nice floor standing speakers and completing the setup later instead of going for the full, less expensive 5.1 setup right away such as the Quintet III + Sub. But would floor standing speakers be overkill for our smaller room? I've also heard that surround sound is less effective in smaller rooms as well, so I really am at a loss.

And if I do decide on floor standing speakers, which Klipsch ones give the most bang for their buck? Or are there other brands I should strongly consider?

Thanks so much for your help in advance!

From my own personal experience in my current living room of 15ft x 12ft floor standers are overkill if u have a new build paper mache apartment/flat.

The bass from them will tremble the foundations!:rotfl: And your neighbours will be miffed!

But if ur apartment is a properly built one with proper seperation between floors then by all means go floorstanders.

I'm still using floorstanders cos i got them for free, plus my neighbours also play loud music but that doesn't bother me as long everyone is willing to put up with occasional loud music. I mean we live in a flat cos we usually can't afford a house so if u can't afford a house u shudn't complain about occasional noise! Beggers cant b choosers!

So chose depending on the build quality of ur apartment and how well u know ur neighbours. :smashin:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom