Small and strong

A nice noob

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody and thank you for being here.
I need a small and strong computer to travel with.
It needs to have a strong processor to use adobe suite programs (Photoshop, Premier, In-design etc...), it needs to be durable enough to go through long bus trips and of course i'm looking for the smallest laptop (10-11 inch is ideal) and the best price (up to 1,500 dollar).

I saw the house rules and so will try to answer all the other questions to help you guys help me:
What is your budget? up to 1,500$
What size laptop do you want? - a Netbook (less than 11") If I'll have no other choice ill go for ultraportable laptops (11" to 13")
Do you have resolution requirements? No, but above 1080 is preferable.
Do you prefer a matte or glossy (reflective) screen? No preference.
What will you be using the laptop for? Ill need a dual desktop (one for each user). One user will only need it to store docs/excel/mp3&4 files. The other will need it for Web/Graphic Design aswell.
How long does the battery need to last? Not of highest priority.
Does it need to be portable? YES. I'll take it around the world, actually.
Do you require Blu-Ray player or need the ability to play older disc media? No.
Do you require HDMI output? No.
Do you have a preferred brand? No. But from my initial check I saw two brnads I'll like you comment on:

One Netbook One Mix 4 Yoga Platinum​

Amazon product ASIN B0913K2MSF

Microsoft Surface Pro 7​

Amazon product ASIN B07YNJ53F2
Any other details you feel necessary...:
I'm adding a comparison of these computers CPU with my own Asus (which is great but to big to travel) so you can tell me if you know any other 10-11 inch computers with a strong processor.

Thank you very much for you help,
Your NOOB

Laptop performance at smaller sizes is thermally limited so those sorts of passmark CPU tests are not very meaningful if you're planning to use it with heavy loads.

For example here is how the performance of the Surface 7 Pro (red line) changes using the cinebench benchmark over the first 30 minutes or so:
1622575807437.png

It drops from an initial performance of 780, down to a performance of 480.

The individual laptop's cooling systems are going to have at least as large an impact on performance as the CPU it uses. You need to be looking for tests of the laptop model rather than the CPU to determine performance.

I don't have knowledge of specific models though.

I can only speak from experience of what I use when (allowed) to travel and thats a Microsoft Surface Pro 7, i7; really is a PC no bigger than some books and has great performance.

Question is, can the Microsofot Pro 7 hold Adobe Suite?
I can ran a test with my own computer. Example: I can Open 2-3 softwares and "work on them" and see that it runs smoothly. But what should I look for behind the scenes to tell me the performance of the computer at this point?
If Ill have the answer to that I could ask the same thing about Microsoft Pro 7 or any other computer....

Other then that Im still hopful one of you guys can pull out an ace and tell me theres just the best super strong and cheap 11inch computer and that will save me a lot of headache hehe....

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

I think you should be considering buying a laptop from a well established manufacturer who will be able to provide global support in case of problems while you're travelling around. That'll rule out the Chinese branded One Network machine.

If you buy an Apple Mac I believe you can go into any Apple Store worldwide and they'll help you. If you buy the latest Dell XPS 13 (with the 11th gen i7-1185G7) direct from Dell US, that includes 1 yr Premium Support which covers you for international travel. The XPS 13 is widely recommended as the best Windows ultrabook to take.

MS have probably got some sort of global support for their Surface models as well but I couldn't find out how to buy it from a quick search.

Dell XPS 13 is too big and too expensive. Never had an Apple. Do they come in 10-11 inch sizes in 1500$?

I hope to get more suggestions...

Lets put it differently: What's the strongest 10-12 inch computer available?
AND
What's the cheapest 10-12 inch computer, that can deal with ADOBE suite software?

Strongest would undoubtedly be a second hand rugged machine like a Toughbook, Getac or Latitude rugged. You don't say what sort of dollars they are, but you might get a bottom of the range semi-rugged machine for that price.

I don't work in the creative industries but I gather that program demands are pretty heavily dependant on the size and complexity of the media you're working with and what processing you're doing rather than the apps themselves.

Hands down the fastest for anything requiring plenty of processing is the Apple Macbook Air. It is genuinely blazing quick with its new A1 processors, runs Adobe CC very sweetly and all with excellent battery life and a decent 13" display and tough case.

And I am not a Mac fan boy, but the A1 is a game changer as far as portable processors go and is designed for video and image intensive work like web design and video editing etc.

I run Adobe CC on an HP G7 Elitebook. It has the i7-10610U CPU running at 1.8Ghz and doesn't break a sweat, even with 2 monitors attached via a USB C hub. It is smooth, switches easily and has not errored in 4 months of use. The metal case feels strong, the 1080p screen is sharp, but the keyboard has been the weak point, with a broken key just through intensive use.

Given the choice, for portable use, I would probably have gone with the Mac, but this is a business machine and I need full access to Microsoft's O365 environment and it's not quite there yet for Macs.

Strongest would undoubtedly be a second hand rugged machine like a Toughbook, Getac or Latitude rugged. You don't say what sort of dollars they are, but you might get a bottom of the range semi-rugged machine for that price.

I don't work in the creative industries but I gather that program demands are pretty heavily dependant on the size and complexity of the media you're working with and what processing you're doing rather than the apps themselves.
I'm not sure what are these brands, how to check or buy one of these or even what "rugged" means. So I would love some more information...

Other then that I see no suggestions for a 10-12 inch 1,500 dollar strong computer. Are there none of those available? is it not realistic?

You've been given quite a few choices.

Depending upon how strong you want the laptop to be, what you will actually be doing with it - editing 4K feature length movies is totally different to a few Gopro shots for Youtube and what your budget is, you have a range of choices.

I would suggest what you are actually looking for is Confirmation Bias, where you have subconsciously made a choice and you just want us to agree with you!

I don't mind buying an Apple or getting a "rugged" computer. But your suggestion for an Apple was for a 13' one, which i believe is too big. If I wont find anything else, I'll search for the A1. But other then your suggestion, what specific choices do I have? Only that Microsoft one, which I do not care for but haven't got any other suggestions. I don't know what specific Apple should I look for or where to find this custom-made computer?

editing 4K feature length movies is totally different to a few Gopro shots for Youtube and what your budget is, you have a range of choices.
My needs are somewhere in between. Editing 1080 short films (Premier), designing book covers (In-design) and editing products for marketing (Photoshop).

Do you think there is a 10-12 inch computer (Apple, Microsoft, "rugged") that can handle these requirements with ease?

Thanks again for the help!

My needs are somewhere in between. Editing 1080 short films (Premier), designing book covers (In-design) and editing products for marketing (Photoshop).

Do you think there is a 10-12 inch computer (Apple, Microsoft, "rugged") that can handle these requirements with ease?

Thanks again for the help!
Yes, I would suggest the Mac Air would be perfect for this. It is a compact laptop and I think a smaller screen would cause you issues when doing design and editing. Battery life is excellent as well.

Oh, but see the size is really important here. I know i'll need to do some adjustments but I really have no other choice. Worst-Worst case for me is buying a 13' without any edges. But really size is a number one priority. Do you know if Apple have a Mac Air in 12'? Lets say it has. Do you know if Apple supports Adobe suite? What about more basic stuff like Office?

Thank you

Oh, but see the size is really important here. I know i'll need to do some adjustments but I really have no other choice. Worst-Worst case for me is buying a 13' without any edges. But really size is a number one priority. Do you know if Apple have a Mac Air in 12'? Lets say it has. Do you know if Apple supports Adobe suite? What about more basic stuff like Office?

Thank you
Apple will have all their offerings in your relevant Apple website/shops. I don’t recall them
Having a 12” laptop - it steps into iPad territory and they are pushing those as “your next laptop” in their latest advertising campaign (here in Australia at least).

You need to look at software manufacturer sites to see what OS they support - not the other way round. Having said that Apple did muck about with Office support recently - it was it MS mixing around with Apple OS support…….

Anyway Office 365 works on almost anything as long as it has a browser O365 works on.

I think Google is your friend for the bulk of your questions - the technical requirements have been answered as best we can - unfortunately I don’t think what you want exists any more.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom