Small Amp with connections for ipad...

cunnishaun

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

With little knowledge of audio equipment I am looking for an amp which has the connections for my iPad (composite, unless a better suggestion can be made) that I can use to run 2 pairs of speakers, 1 in our bathroom and the other in our bedroom.

I would like to be able to control the volume from within the shower (yes whilst water is present) and from in the bedroom - IR possibly?

I am thinking of having a docking point, for the iPad via the composite cable mentioned above, in the bedroom and the amp in the easily accessible loft space above the bedroom.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

There are plenty of multizone amps with "Airplay" these days.
Look at receivers from the likes of Denon , Yamaha , and so on.

Airplay will take music from the ipad and play it through the amp.

Make sure the amp you choose has the option of playing a digital source through the second zone. A lot will only do a second zone with an analog source.

As for controlling it from the shower , the only way I can see that happening is with a custom waterproof interface install , that wouldnt be cheap , there are no waterproof off the shelf solutions that I know of.

Any speakers in the bathroom will need to be waterproof as well. Most will short and kill the amp otherwise.

Thanks for the info, I've heard about the airplay but wasn't sure how it worked properly, I'll look into it more now you have recommended it.

As for the remote control from the shower I was thinking of doing it as a gimmick, to show off really so it isn't a necessity.

Thanks again

Hi andy,

I'm struggling to find an amp that seems suitable, would it be possible for you to point me in the right direction, with a link maybe, so that I know what sort of spec I am looking for.

Thanks for your time

Here's one , Second zone multisource and airplay included.

DENON UK | AVR-2113

Ive chosen from the midrange , there are more on that page.

Thanks andy,

I though audio only amps with AirPlay etc would be available to purchase, surely the price is much lower than audio and video amps.

I might be talk rubbish but I thought something like a car amp could be used???

Cheers

New apple airport express, stereo amp with speaker a/b output and some waterproof bathroom ceiling speakers would do what you want (without control). If you want true multi room visit the multi room thread in the music streamers forum.

I though audio only amps with AirPlay etc would be available to purchase, surely the price is much lower than audio and video amps.

Audio only amps for the home market usually means stereo amps , and decent stereo amps usually dont come with multizone or for that matter any kind of digital input. They are highly unlikely to come with airplay as that kind of processing in the stereo amp market is frowned upon.

Receivers are very popular and are saturating the market at the moment , they do sacrifice some sound quality for all the processing onboard , but on a tight budget its the best option.

The market dictates that receivers handle multiple HDMI inputs , optical /coax inputs and analog inputs , so audio only models dont exist as they simply wouldnt sell, but they can of course be used for audio only.

Multiroom audio systems for the home , like Sonos or Squeezbox , come in individual units , some of which need their own amp and a set of speakers , in addition a computer or nas server is needed to supply the music data.
So such systems will quickly add up to way more that the price of an av receiver and some speakers.

Outside of the home market, your looking at a custom multiroom stereo delivery system , and that will make everything else mentioned seem positively cheap in comparison.

Airport express units are not designed for audio , the main purpose for those units is network connectivity on the road and for that they are excellent, I have an express and a basestation , audio performance sucks , but then its only an add on to its main fuction , so I wasnt expecting anything special in that department.

Computer Audiophile - Measurements: First and Second Generation Apple AirPort Express

Again , like Sonos and Squeezbox , Airport express units need an amp and a pair of speakers each , so would end up costing more than a multizone receiver with airplay.

Heres a slimline model from marantz , which is nowhere near as big as the Denon , it has airplay , and 1 extra zone , but Im not sure if that extra zone plays from digital inputs. There doesnt seem to be a manual on site yet.

Marantz are one of the very few doing slimline av receivers , to make them that small , a lot of output power is sacrificed , but it may well be more than enough for you.

Marantz UK | NR1603

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom