• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Small amp/receiver for 2.0 system

hjn123

Standard Member
DvD player sized receaver/amps for ps3 and xbox 360,
would like to go throught HDMI or optical so not maby connections needed, Just want some nice floor standing speakers to go with it, I have a small room so a good 2.0 system would sutie it nicly, also the walls are very thin so it dose not need to be too powerfull.

I live in the UK.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Why start another thread? :rolleyes: It confuses people if you keep starting new threads. All the information you need is in the previous thread.

hjn123

Standard Member
Why start another thread? :rolleyes: It confuses people if you keep starting new threads. All the information you need is in the previous thread.

But besides that an other options? If the amp is small enuff but only has like a a couple of optical inputs or somthing that would do fine, this is the first time im buying something like this just to replace the crappy tv speakers so it dose not have to be top noch. or is the receaver you suggested before my best bet?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
It's not really your best bet, it's proabably your only one ;) Cambridge Audio used to make compact AV Receivers but that is about it. These things have to be the size they are due to the size of power supplies, amplifiers and the amount of components inside plus they need serious cooling. That is basically why AV Receivers are large bulky units. Marantz stand alone with these compact separate AV Receivers. If you want a small compact unit with the latest features, it's pretty much your only option. There are other options from Arcam etc. but they cost serious coin and lack the latest features so to be honest, aren't worth bothering with.

Without knowing the size constraints, it is hard to recommend anything. As I asked in your other thread, can't you adjust the rack to accomodate a larger receiver or even buy a new one?

hjn123

Standard Member
It's not really your best bet, it's proabably your only one ;) Cambridge Audio used to make compact AV Receivers but that is about it. These things have to be the size they are due to the size of power supplies, amplifiers and the amount of components inside plus they need serious cooling. That is basically why AV Receivers are large bulky units. Marantz stand alone with these compact separate AV Receivers. If you want a small compact unit with the latest features, it's pretty much your only option. There are other options from Arcam etc. but they cost serious coin and lack the latest features so to be honest, aren't worth bothering with.

Without knowing the size constraints, it is hard to recommend anything. As I asked in your other thread, can't you adjust the rack to accomodate a larger receiver or even buy a new one?

Its a tv stand so no, but saying that how come dvd players can be so small and you can get some fairly decent inputs on them?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Go to avland.co.uk and take a look at the receiver listings. There are pics of the inside gubbins of most of the current receivers. They're full of large electrical thingies that generate a lot of heat. Then compare it with a DVD player that has one board and you'll see why.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom