Small Amp For Apple TV 2

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by KradWEB4, Dec 28, 2011.

1. KradWEB4

KradWEB4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have been bought one of the above to replace an Airport Express (now kaput) that I was using to stream music to my kitchen. I was using a pretty cheap amp designed for boats to power a couple of Wharfedale Diamonds along with the AE, all nice and small and could be hidden. My obvious problem now is that the ATV2 only outputs optical audio or HDMI, does anyone have any suggestions for either a small amp, small enough to be mounted underneath a bookshelf, with an optical in or how to get the audio from optical to analogue, I'm guessing that I might be able to use a DAC converter? Thanks for any help you mig be able to give me.

2. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
  3. KradWEB4

KradWEB4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Larkone, thanks for that speedy reply, I appreciate it. So I plug the ATV2 into the DAC and then run the audio on to my amp? I have searched for a small amp that has optical in, can't find one though, do they exist?

4. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Just get the right optical lead, plug into the D3 and run a pair of phono cables to amp. The D3 needs power from a wall wart - supplied in box. The D3 is smaller than a packet of fags. I use one for my bathroom system and it punches above its weight.

Yes but top end and expensive XTZ A100 D3 € 700.00 Class A100 D3 Silver - XTZ | Sound in balance
    or most AV receivers but that would be overkill with 7 channels and difficult to hide.

5. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Don't think so. Best I could find was this T-Amp with DAC for about £70 but it's a co-ax digital input.

Are you sure it wouldn't be simpler to get another Express and a basic T-Amp for £30?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  6. KradWEB4

KradWEB4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I considered swapping for an AE but given the reputation they have for breaking plus the added video streaming capabilities with the the ATV2 I thought I'd keep with it. Another option I considered was getting a small LCD with audio out, connecting via HDMI running phono cables back to the amp...

7. KradWEB4

KradWEB4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just out of interest does anyone know the reason for the lack of optical in in the smaller amps? Is it simply because there is little demand for them?

8. Maxson

Maxson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Probably the cost of a good dac chip doubles the price and increases the size as well as lack of demand.