1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small all in one system - any ideas??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by boomshanks, May 25, 2005.

1. boomshanks

boomshanks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am replacing a tired old Kenwood pseudo separates system in my dining room and hoping to buy a small, neat "all in one unit" which has amp, tuner and CD player. I am hoping to not spend any more than £250 and hence have shortlisted these three:

Teac CRH250
    Denon DM31
    Onkyo CR505

It will be running a pair of Mission M70s bookshelfers (I think).

Does anyone have any of these three units? I note that the Denon does not have DAB which I must admit puts it to the bottom of the pile at the moment, but it is the only one I have managed to audition in a shop and it sounded great. I have read that the Teac DAB interface is a bit of a pain to master, but that it sounds "brighter" than the Denon. I don't know anything about the Onkyo except that they sell it in richer sounds it is DAB and in the price range. I have also read about a Denon DM35 which seems to be "the new DM31" but it has a DAB tuner, but it it seems way out of the price range in the one place I found it to buy. All pointers would be very greatfully received.

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    We have the TEAC unit and I've posted a few comments in this forum about it - especially the slightly irritating interface regarding the DAB tuner. If that would bother you (much) is a personal preference but I would recommend you try it in action.
    As far as the sound goes it's very enjoyable to listen to. We use the DAB tuner, a docked iPod and the CD player in about equal measure and they're all competent IMHO - it also has a second AUX in and a tape loop which will be useful if/when I add a wireless network MP3 player.

That said I don't have a wealth of experience of the other units, or HiFi in general - I considered the Denon and it sounded nice in a poor environment (Comet on a Saturday!) but the lack of DAB and the amount of FM piracy around here ruled it out. The Onyko wasn't available at the time.

Our TEAC is driving Mission 700's which are the previous model line to your M70's IIRC. As the TEAC reference system uses Mission built speakers it seems likely that they are a good match but your ears will be the best judge. The system does sound much better pumped up past the 20 mark on the volume which may be something to do with the sensitivity of the speakers and the power of the amp?

I doubt you'll be disappointed with any of these systems. I would certainly consider the TEAC if I were looking now.

You might also want to consider the Pure Legato http://www.pure-digital.com/Products/product.asp?Product=VL-60692 if DAB is a priority. It is available with and without speakers - I've seen them on display in John Lewis.

3. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I know the speakers that normally come with the DM-31 (the SCM-51s) are actually manufactured by Mission, so I'd imagine that the m70s would be a good match for the DM-31 - I currently use m70s with a Yamaha amp and they sound pretty good to my ears. Heard a DM-50 ages ago (with the SCM-30s) and was pretty impressed by them.

However, the best advice would be to try and audition each system with your speakers or some similar (the m30s or m31is are the direct replacements for the m70s) and see which you prefer.

4. boomshanks

boomshanks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input guys. I have just ordered the Teac (a steal at £191!), it should be here tomorrow. Didn't manage to listen to it with my speakers before buying, but from what I have read and who I have spoke to and listening to it through a set of B&Ws, there seems to be very little in it in terms of sound quality vs the Denon. I think, in the end the DAB swang it.

Anyone want a tired old Kenwood system? You might need to build an extension to house it.

Cheers

B

5. gfc

gfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit late now but Denon are now doing an all in one with DAB, updated version of the DM31 which is very good by the way. Have had one for a few months now :smashin:

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    Good luck with your new toy boomshanks.

A few user tips...
    Try to remember not to try to load a CD while the DAB tuner is playing or you'll curse while it does a store channels for several seconds (they share the eject button).
    I'm pretty sure that the remote 'remembers' the last function it used so it's worth selecting 'tuner' then '1' to go to preset on. If you just press '1' it may send the CD command (IIRC) esp. if you are using the front panel more than the remote.
    If you only have a couple of presets and it displays '1_ PRESET LOAD' after you choose preset '1' then just press '1' again and it will select preset 1.

7. mafioso

mafioso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's only a cut-down version of it's superb bigger brother, the Ref 300 MkII series yor are in for a treat!

8. sprint blue

sprint blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Whayhay.................I've ordered a Teac Ref 300 Mk II, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers, Sennheiser hd500 headphones and a coupla Mission speaker stands. :clap:

I'm hopefully getting it this week and can't wait. It sounded superb in the shop.

Oh................and they are gonna through in some decent QED speaker cable as well............................reeeeesult. :D

9. hambrook

hambrook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Best place to get a DM31 with DAB?

10. hambrook

hambrook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  11. hambrook

hambrook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    New TEAC is £££. I am looking at the Sony CMT-GPX9DAB, £170 with DAB, FM/AM, CD, MP3 CD ....AND SPEAKERS.... any comments on this new unit?

12. boomshanks

boomshanks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the system all set up this weekend and it sounds outstanding, I am over the moon with it. :D :D :D

It is very crisp and bright, with the bass punchy when it needs to be. It is especially good if you crank it up a bit (above about 30 on the vol.). I bet my neighbours hate me!

I know what you mean about the button sharing problems though - listening to DAB station then want to listen to a CD, it stands to reason that you should press CD eject button? Oh no, not with this system. I seem to be getting used to that though. Not started to assign station presets yet, so no problems there yet...

The biggest suprise to me has been the sound quality given the size of the unit and speakers, although I must say that this applied to the Denon system I auditioned aswell. It has neatened up my dining room no end and is so cute I think I might buy it its own little blanket.

I went too far didn't I?

Highly recommended system, thanks again for your help - not only on this thread, but the others I have read on the same topic before buying.

B

13. hambrook

hambrook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Where diod you get it from boomshanks?

14. boomshanks

boomshanks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. hambrook

hambrook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a strict £200 budget so getting that Teac + Missions would be £250. I come back to the Sony CMT-GPX9DAB, £170 with DAB, FM/AM, CD, MP3 CD ....AND SPEAKERS....

I have just called the local Sony Centre and they have one on show so will tyry and get down there and listen. Any comments / reviews on this new unit?

16. bobone

bobone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi are you having to use an external ariel for the dab we live in a decent reception area

17. hambrook

hambrook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    YUK YUK YUK YUK YUK! I nipped down the Sony Centre and tried the Sony CMT-GPX9DAB before I ordered. What a let down - bass was non existent and no crisp tones at all. Bland mid range and totally uninspired. Not even CD text suppoted.

They had a Sony CMT-CPX22 dellivering 75w RMS per channel MILES better on sound quality- main down sides, not DAB and NO inputs on the back (only TOS out and 3.5mm stereo socket input on front) so no option to attach any components.

Time to save up and get the Denon D-M35.

18. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    Bobone,

I use the piece of wire that came with the TEAC in the kitchen - again in a decent signal strength area. I may not be getting everything available, but I get everything I need with no squelch and pop.

19. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I bought a Denon DM-35DAB to replace an older DM-31 yesterday and it's marvellous. DAB is as good as it could be with very fast tuning. Recommended.

20. Robert85

Robert85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My mum's partner has just bought the Denon DAB35...and it's awesome. I like my nait 3/B&W 601 S3's...but the denon's pretty good.