Small 5.1 setup

Zigmundo

Novice Member
Hi

I'm looking to set up a 5.1 setup in my man cave and really appreciate advice on decent systems that would suit.

Currently I have a 4k TV installed with a marantz m-cr611 network receiver and Dali zensor pico front speakers.
The space is roughly 5m x 4m.

I would like a compact speaker set like the focal dome or focal sib evo 5.1 sets.

Can anyone recommend these systems or any other compact sets?

I'm very keen to possibly start by adding a compact subwoofer first and then add to the setup. Any recommendations for a decent compact subwoofer?

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
You could easily re-use those Dali Zensor Picos as "rears", then buy used Zensor 1 as mains and Zensor Vokal. Add speaker stands for the Z1s and you are done with speakers. Ebay is full of these and they wouldn´t cost lot, but i believe they would be step up of the lifestyle sat systems. Focal Sib Evo speakers aren´t that small so with that in mind i thought the Dali might still work. The Z1s are compact, the center channel is larger like it should be, but it could perhaps go top of of your av-unit, wall mounting tv or buying floor tv stand (behind and under your av-unit).

I wonder what is your total budget. No av-receiver mentioned either which is going to eat considerable amount of your budget (Denon X1600H goes 440£ roughly, 2019 model). Your room isn´t the smallest so hopefully you don´t have to go for too small.. But you asked some recommendation for subs so the best bang for buck at 400£ region would be with BK P12. This has been long forum favourite and personally i wouldn´t go anything smaller in 20sqm room as you said man cave so you want decent impact / experience assuming you watch lot of action/scifi/horror flicks/series. However i will link smaller models too:

If you have issue with width then example this narrow but taller model could fit nicely in corner. Will post example from members system below so you understand the size better.

screenshot_20210825-115017_whatsapp-jpg.1560300

The small BK XLS200 is out of stock for some time. One of the best picks for small ~ 33x33x34cm sealed subwoofer would be SVS SB1000 Pro, but you would be looking 495£ price with -10% discount.

Zigmundo

Novice Member
Thank you for your reply. I was wondering about using the pico as rear speakers and getting zensor speakers for front/centre.
You've given me plenty of scope to research and hopefully find some bargains.
I'll probably build the setup piece by piece as funds allow.

Thanks for your advice, very much appreciated. 👍

rccarguy2

I had Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 for a while, nice sound presentation and damn incredible for the £50 price, I'd be more than happy with those in a smaller room, but I'd probably get a decent sub to make up for lack of speaker bass , so the sub is good higher up in frequency range.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thank you for your reply. I was wondering about using the pico as rear speakers and getting zensor speakers for front/centre.
You've given me plenty of scope to research and hopefully find some bargains.
I'll probably build the setup piece by piece as funds allow.

Thanks for your advice, very much appreciated. 👍
Dali Zensor 1 or 3 as mains will be safe choice as you have got to used to the sound already plus they will sound even better than those Picos. There is very good selection of Zensors that doesn`t cost much.

Here is the BK XLS200 if you really require such small sub, it isn´t available straight away however probably due to drivers coming from US. The price difference to P12 model is very small and the real life difference in performance will be so noticeable so it would feel silly to save few bucks and lose some weight/depth and also the auto on/off feature perhas too. As you can see most BK subs you can choose driver orientation.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Gallo acoustics is always a great option where you require small loudspeakers - the Profile Sub is a good option if you have limited space for a Sub.

Joe

Zigmundo

Novice Member
I have sorted a BK Electronics P12-300SB sub for a great price and will look to start with a 2.1 system.
I've been looking on eBay for zensor speakers and there are a few good ones about. I'd prefer walnut finish to match the picos I have already but it's not too imperative.
I'll be looking for a decent av receiver with network connection that plays DAB radio and Spotify.
It will take a bit of time and saving but I'm looking forward to getting a nice setup.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I have sorted a BK Electronics P12-300SB sub for a great price and will look to start with a 2.1 system.
I've been looking on eBay for zensor speakers and there are a few good ones about. I'd prefer walnut finish to match the picos I have already but it's not too imperative.
I'll be looking for a decent av receiver with network connection that plays DAB radio and Spotify.
It will take a bit of time and saving but I'm looking forward to getting a nice setup.

Great, it`s a good woofer. No competitors in same price class and will make your system sound much larger! You can also put wanted add here on classifieds for walnut Zensor 1 or Z3.

Check out if any dealer has RX-V4 Yamaha in stock, it has all the streaming and DAB tuners. Probably getting these on October.

If you want sooner then 2019 model Denon X1600H with DAB, Atmos, streaming etc. Rather expensive though.

Or if looking used then this Yammy would be great!

Zigmundo

Novice Member
Thanks for those links. I think any of those would be spot on.
I'll keep an eye out for them. Peter Tyson is fairly local too.
Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom