small 2-channel amp for tv speakers

mel769

Novice Member
Hope someone can help. I have an old tv with SPDIF (Co-ax) audio output; I want to hook up some old bookshelf RCA speakers to it. Ive been looking on Amazon and came across this

This would be ideal but it dont have SPDIF input. Im looking for something similar that has SPDIF (Coax) input, and two pairs of RCA output. I know theres an option of adding a DAC to feed this amp but would prefer something all in one, and for around £50-£60. Ive been searching long and hard, but all the small amps with SPDIF input I can find only have a single RCA out !, where I need two pair out for my old speakers. I suppose I could use the headphone output on the tv (using a 3.5mm - RCA lead) to feed the amp mentioned above, but then I would have no sound through the tv speakers themselves. Can anyone advise ?? To reiterate. I need an amp similar to the one in the link above; with SPDIF (Coax) input, and two pairs of RCA output.

Thanks all

rccarguy2

I pretty sure digital t amp with digital inputs exist just keep on doing Google searches. Topping, smsl etc

mel769

Novice Member
Found this one on Amazon but it has no reviews which is a bit odd. Anyhow at least these they exist :)

BTW, if im using a SPDIF (coax) audio out from my TV to an amp, will I still get sound out of the TV speakers ??

rccarguy2

Depends if the TV can do multiple audio out,my lg doesn't.

TV out is typically optical, or hdmi earc.

D

Deleted member 39241

What TV have you got, does it have a headphone out socket?

mel769

Novice Member
Cool. One of these then into an analogue amp will work, use the DAC on the TV:

Thanks for the reply, the issue I might have with that thou is that when i use a headphone jack the internal speakers on the TV switch off, so wanted to use amp via the optical coax to keep the internal speakers alive. (Edit: Does connecting an optical audio out keep the internal speakers alive, I have no idea as ive never used it).

Which, as it happens as im still researching this; if I do get an amp for external speakers im not sure i could control their volume via the Tv's remote. Is SPDIF audio out a fixed volume normally (or headphone come to think of it) ? Ive just had a browse through the manual but it dont mention it !

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39241

Different TVs act in different ways in that regard. Some have settings to have audio outputs at fixed and variable volumes, and some have separate volume controls for the headphone output. You'll have to dig around in the settings to see what your TV has.

mel769

Novice Member
Different TVs act in different ways in that regard. Some have settings to have audio outputs at fixed and variable volumes, and some have separate volume controls for the headphone output. You'll have to dig around in the settings to see what your TV has.

Yeah just had a look on my TV settings and the headphone output has a separate volume control (damn it). There dont appear to be a separate volume for SPDIF audio out thou, although if I connect this SPDIF to an amp then im not sure what it will do as the amp has its own volume knob. Its all a bit confusing this. I mean why/how can it be in this age of technology that its such a pain to connect external speakers to a TV and operate em from the tv's remote ??? Progress they call it

mel769

Novice Member
Is there any other device that i can connect to my tv's SPDIF audio out that I can hook up my (speaker wire) speakers to, thats not an amp ? I dont necessarily need whopping volume, just a bit more definition and clarity !

D

Deleted member 39241

If you use the headphone out, and it has a separate volume control, you should be able to turn it right up on the TV then use the amps remote to adjust it up or down as needed. Also, it means that the TV speakers should work at the same time, if that's what you want.

If you want to power the bookshelf passive speakers, you will need an amp, of some sort. Is there anything else in the house that you could use, a radio with an aux input for example?

mel769

Novice Member
If you use the headphone out, and it has a separate volume control, you should be able to turn it right up on the TV then use the amps remote to adjust it up or down as needed. Also, it means that the TV speakers should work at the same time, if that's what you want.

Thanks for you help it is appreciated. When I use the headphone out socket (with headphones at least) the internal tv speakers die. This is normal isnt it.

D

Deleted member 39241

Thanks for you help it is appreciated. When I use the headphone out socket (with headphones at least) the internal tv speakers die. This is normal isnt it.
It doesn't work that way on a Panasonic TV that I have in the kitchen. I use the headphone out socket to power a small active speaker near the cooking area, and the sound still comes out of the TV if I want it to. I think all TV's might be different.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom