SLX8 Amplifier Problems - New Aerial Needed?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by dupfold, Jan 17, 2008.

1. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello

I recently purchased a SLX8 – 8 way aerial amplifier box but I’m having trouble in using it. I have an outside secondary aerial that provides a decent signal for my freeview box in an upstairs bedroom, however when I plug that same aerial into my SLX8 and feed to my freeview box, the signal is weaker and therefore some channels are lost (all ITV channels & channels 4’s etc).

First point of call was to find out if my SLX8 was faulty or not so I set up in my living room but this time using the main communal aerial and everything worked fine; so that concluded the SLX8 box is working fine.

The problem must be that my secondary aerial is not strong enough, however, why then does it provide a strong enough signal when connected direct to my freeview box but not when I try to use it in conjunction with the SLX8, which is also amplified? Would a replacement, stronger aerial resolve my problems and if so can you recommend a few please?

Thank you

2. VKL

VKL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have similar problems - Does anyone have an answer ??:lease::lease:

3. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I've never been keen on these "eye candy" amplifiers by Philex. Have you looked at the noise figure? Have you actually calculated how much gain you need for the cable length? Are you in fact using the proper cable?

Also bear in mind that over-amplification will cause the Freeview tuner to reduce its gain rather than be "blinded". So the signal strength indication could appear low instead of high.

4. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello VKL

My problem was clearly down to my secondary ariel (which I wanted to feed in to the SLX8) was not prodiving a strong enough signal.

I had a choice to either pay £50+ for a better ariel or simply feed the main ariel to my SLX8. So this is what I did and everything is working perfect now. I'm running four digital TV's off the SLX8 all around the house (upstaris and down) and I'm able to receive all digital channels without a problem.

5. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    If you fit a professional masthead amplifier close to the poorer aerial, it should work fine. I would guess that your problem is caused by the high noise figure of the SLx and/or the length of cable between it and the aerial.

Using the better aerial was a wise decision and overcame the inadequacies of the mediocre amplifier.

6. Hemmy

Hemmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is a good amplifier/splitter Sam - I nearly bought an SLX8 today.

Any advise would be appreciated

7. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I got my "Vision C12554" masthead amp from a professional on-line supplier. It has a 20dB adjustable gain and a noise figure of only 1.4dB. But you should be able to get something similar from any professional supplier such as John Hardy in Birmingham and maybe Grax Aerial Supplies near Manchester. Just avoid the "eye candy" boxes sold by popular DIY and electronics stores. In my experience they can be less reliable and the higher noise figure occasionally causes problems. Anything with a noise figure lower than, say, 2.5dB should be OK.