1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SLX Link remote extender

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Ayrton, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Ayrton

Ayrton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have had a lot of trouble getting this thing to work. I have a Pace satellite box which I have used to pipe TV upstairs through the RF2 for quite some time. Since the TV goes upstairs to 2 rooms it has a booster on it. Tired of not being able to change channels I bought the SLX. I am aware that the remote extender won't work through a booster so I took the booster out of the loop. The room I want to control from now has a coax cable direct from the tv to the sky box.

Plugging in the SLX link between this coax in the main bedroom and the TV I get a red LED. Pressing buttons on the Sky remote gets another LED but does not activate the box. Why?

In the instructions for the SLX link it tells you how to make sure the RF2 is configured correctly but they are not particularly clear, and when I tried to follow them, I did not get to the menu they said I would. Can someone direct me (idiot friendly) to the right page? In any case I know the picture goes out of it, and since the LED on the SLX lights up I am assuming the power is getting through too?

I rang the manufacturers help line, they suggested plugging it straight in the back of the sky box to see if that worked but it didn't so they said to send it back to the retailer. However the retailer tested it and said it worked and sent it back to me again.

Short of re-examining the settings issue I have said in the previous paragraph I don't know what else to do to get this thing going... any ideas?

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of these from SatCure. It came without any instructions but with a note directing me to a secret web page that is full of troubleshooting information.

The first thing to do is to connect it directly to your Digibox RF2 socket then set the RF Output power to ON in the secret menu. The SLXlink LED will then light up to indicate power is getting to it. (Plug it in gemtly or you'll damage the socket!)

No LED means no power. Check all connections (plugs must be soldered).

Once you have power, shield the front panel of the Digibox and test the remote. The SLXlink should let the remote work normally.

Once you've determined that it's working, connect it upstairs with *double-shielded* satellite cable and test it again WITHOUT connecting the 2nd TV set. If that's OK, connect the SLX link to the 2nd TV set and test again. Now reconnect it with a *flexible lead* between the SLXlink and the TV set (to avoid damage to the aerial input).

Finally, once that's working OK, you can add your distribution amplifier or whatever and test again.

I found SatCure a little more expensive than some other shops but I have to say that they give FULL information.

Fman

3. Ayrton

Ayrton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    1. Can you direct me to the secret menu? I think I must be set up ok but I'd like to make sure
    2. Is the cable connecting the box to the upstairs tv critical? Its just a cheap length of coax with two plugs screwed on the end.

4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess you get what you pay for. If the one you bought isn't working, contact the place that sold it to you for more information. As I mentioned, some places charge a little more but give full backup when things go wrong.

Fman

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See my previous reply "double-shielded cable". Didn't your supplier tell you *anything*? :rolleyes:

If you use ordinary TV cable it will *probably* work OK but, equally, you'll probably be back in a week asking why your picture upstairs is poor or why the Digibox is "changing channels by itself". Spend the extra few pennies on the proper cable.

Fman