• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SLX Boosters - No Signal

JamesLB20

Standard Member
When I moved into my house, we had no picture. Bought a SLX Select PSU Masthead Amplifier power Supply. This has a single aerial output and we now receive purfectly good Freeview
I now wanted to add a second tv to the dining room so bought a SLX Gold 4 way distribution amplifier, thinking just in case for the future. Just got no signal on the original and the same on the addition. Though ok I will take it back and exchange it for what I believed to be the same amplifier but with two outlets. - SLX Twin Outlet Signal Booster.
Still No signal on either TV.

I am at a complete loss, any help would be greatly appreciated

mike7

Distinguished Member
From what you say I assume you have an amplifier mounted on the actual aerial. The Power supply unit you originally bought just sends up 12V DC to power the masthead amp. This still needs to be in place before you add any further splitting devices. If you take the power supply away, or connect anything in its path up to the aerial, you will get no signal.

It seems to be quite common that when people move they take away the power supply boxes thinking they are some kind of amplifier. Without the masthead amp they are useless.

Last edited:

JamesLB20

Standard Member
Thanks mike7,
It's Obvious when you think about it ! it even says so on the box !
So one further question, what is the simplest way to connect a second aerial lead, without ending up with a pile of boosters/amplifiers/power supplies in the living room ? I don't really want to run a seperate feed all the way down from the loft. Would an aerial spitter be any good, or would the signal still need to be amplified ?'

Many thanks James

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks mike7,
It's Obvious when you think about it ! it even says so on the box !
So one further question, what is the simplest way to connect a second aerial lead, without ending up with a pile of boosters/amplifiers/power supplies in the living room ? I don't really want to run a seperate feed all the way down from the loft. Would an aerial spitter be any good, or would the signal still need to be amplified ?'

Many thanks James

If your existing Freeview signal is good (no glitches) chances are a passive splitter will work. Make sure you use a metal fully screened one not the white plastic crap with next to no screening at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom