SLR Training Course & Digital Compact camera

a_friend

Are their any good cheap SLR courses around London that will cover the full manual mode of an SLR (Canon 450D). I am in need of some training.

I need a ~£100 compact digital camera I have seen the Panasonic Lumix FP8 going for £130 at play.com are there any better alternatives that I should consider, it's for the wife.

OrbitalPete

Rather than courses, I would strongly suggest a book, and time out with the camera. Start in the aperture and shutter priority modes and in a very short time you'll have an understanding of the interplay between ISO, shutter and aperture. A book such as Understanding Exposure will explain the principles, but practise and experience are the key.

It's worth noting that most photographers I know shoot in Aperture Priority semi-manual mode most of the time anyway.

a_friend

I never knew that, that is very interesting indeed but i love to get into full manual mode. I have the book you speak of but not much time to spead reading.

senu

Distinguished Member
I never knew that, that is very interesting indeed but i love to get into full manual mode. I have the book you speak of but not much time to spead reading.

I would reinforce the Advice to read Understanding Exposure it is possible to finish it over a weekend read in 2 bits. It is full of photos and not heaving going...:D

A course may show you where the settings are and how they work but you will need to actually use them yourself otherwise as with new info it may vanish before you get home!:D

Any course worth it salt will give handouts which you will have to read to reinforce it. It need not be boring and time consuming

Although Photography is a practical business but you can save yourself a lot of needless experimenting by finding the time to read ....
If you do not find that time you will slip into using the DSLR as you would a Point and shoot and never fully exploit it

In fact it may be better to go for a course after doing a bit yourself.. it would be so much more easy to grasp and relate to

There are You Tube videos, and lots of magazines have easy to digest articles and video tutorials,, Any bigger WH Smiths will have more than enough titles to chose from

Although these don't cover the 450D they cover DSLR and earlier Canons

Enjoy! Digital SLR camera

Canon Digital Learning Center - EOS Digital Rebel XT Tutorials

Last edited:

a_friend

the links provided are good and I am starting to get to grips with all the termanology and also the camera.

Thank you once again

Darthchaffinch

Echo what Master Senu says.

I also found this site very helpful to learn the basics :
Digital Photography Tutorials

I went on a course a few years ago (~£120) with my compact,and found it not really helpful- learnt a hell of a lot more from this forum and sites like the above.

Another book I recently bought that has been quite useful is this.

Enjoy mate.

senu

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom