1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SLR Teleconverters

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by itcosthowmuch, Jan 2, 2005.

1. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Can anyone give me some feedback on the use of teleconverters? I am thinking of purchasing a Kenko Teleplus 2x converter to use on a Canon 10D in conjunction with a 100 - 400mm lens for wildlfe photos.

Do they slow down the autofocusing much and/or reduce image quality?

Cheers

Oh and Happy New Year everyone :)

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    I tell you this they will alter you f stop down or lower your shutter speed, I once got a 3x ages ago and only used it ones, and I would only recommend using on with a tripod.

3. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Cheers for the reply Garrett, I was aware of the f stop problem but not the shutter speed but I intend to use in brightly areas so that shouldn't be something to worry about. I will be using with a tripod as long waits in secluded spaces for animals to appear means I don't want aching arms!

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Well it is a lower f stop to have the same shutter speed or lower speed to have the same f stop. Mine was a Vivitar tele converter and the results were not good I only used a wall to steady the camera on.
    Mine I used on a Canon AE1 with a 70-210mm zoom lens.

5. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    From what I remember of the specs for Canon's AF system, it is designed to shut down at an effective aperture above f5.6. I believe that the 100-400mm has a maximum aperture of f5.6 at 400mm, so adding ANY multiplier is likely to kill AF. Also, a 2x mulitiplier on an f5.6 lens is going to produce an effective aperture of f11. This will result in a rather dark viewfinder which will in turn make manual focusing difficult.

Having said all of that, the only person who knows how usable it will be in your intended application is you. On of the benefits of distance selling law is that you can buy one from a reputable Internet site & return it for refund within 7 days if unsuitable.

Another way of getting close up shots of wildlife is to locate the camera nearer to the subject & fire it remotely. I think most current Canon SLRs accept a switch release that plugs into a 2.5mm socket on the camera. You can purchase extension leads from Canon for large sums of money but a cheap 2.5mm stereo headphone extension cable should work just as well. I keep meaning to buy one to try but never quite seem to get around to it!

Avoid the infrared remote release as the camera shuts down if it's not fired within a couple of minutes & the camera needs to be reset manually.

Finally, have a look at Pink Fairy's post here.

6. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    thanks for that Crocodile. I think a trip to my local store is in order and see if I can "borrow" a tele for a day and see the outcome!

7. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If you are suggesting putting a Kenco converter on a Canon 10D......NO NO NO NO NO NO.. :nono:

Even the high quality Canon converters are pretty naff, and most people seem to end up getting the correct glass, and then selling the converter.
    I thought I might get one for my new 100-400L USM, but after doing my homework, it would be a waste of money for the quality/aperture loss.
    If you really need quality at 800mm then its gonna cost.. especially with a quality body such as the 10D.
    I trust the 100-400 lens is to be either a Canon L series?? The only other 100-400's out there are rubbish. :eek:
    Sigma make some EX models which are highly rated, but I dont think the do a 100-400. Their 'Bigma' (Sigma 50 to 500 mm F/4 - 6.3 Zoom Macro) is rated by many, but weighs a ton, and many users move on to Canon L glass anyway for sheer quality of glass.

L glass is apparently a disease, (L-itus) which is incurable once caught, as is upgradeitus with AV/HI FI.
    I must say my first few L pictures just blow away all I took before.....just wait for the January photo comp.... :D :D :D

Anyway, I thought Kenco made coffee.......................

8. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171

The Kenko 2X will probably be a waste of time for use wth 'L' glass.

Best possibility in my experience is the Canon 1.4 X, this will let more light through than the Canon 2X and be sharper. Not cheap at about £200 but without doubt worth paying more than the Kenko for use with 'L' glass.

So maybe find a shop with Canon 1.4X and a Canon 2X and try them with the lens.

You might not have any autofocus on the 10D with a teleconvertor on a 100-400.

A few comments here http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=19&sort=7&thecat=27 about the lens, some with teleconvertors.

Good luck,

Mark.

9. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171

Nice glass the 'L' :)

glad you have one at last :smashin:

No going back to consumer glass, L-fever will cost you :D

Mark.

10. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Nothing screams "Steal me, i'm really expensive!" like a nice big white lens :)

Don't forget to protect your investment guys!

I have a bigma, and it's an awesome budget lens, it isn't L quality, but then again, neither is my wallet! (plus i don't actually own a canon so it's a moot point, but you see where i'm coming from!)

Sigma do a very nice 80-400 optically stabilised lens, which i believe can be found for about £800 at the moment. This would be a great wildlife lens. If you really need the extra reach, i'm afraid you really are going to have to dig deep into your pocket (and probably start going down the gym too, glass is HEAVY!)

11. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Teleconverters are a necessary evil in the world of bird photography but I would strongly advise you use no more than a 1.4x tc. Lack of contrast and softening of the image is the most obvious symptom of tc's of 2x but a good 1.4x makes next to no difference.
    It may come as a surprise but the top Kenko converters pro300 series (top Hoya glassware) are marginally superior to the Sigma ones, although not quite as good as the newer models from Canon and Nikon. The Kenko pro300 series scores over the Sigma in compatability with so many lenses... Sigma only guarantee compatability with just a handful of their own lenses!

Many cameras can give up the ghost with AF when confronted with more than f5.6 in front of them but they can be decieved into working at higher f# by blanking off a couple of pins on Canon tc's. Although I don't use a Canon... I use a 500mm f4.5 + 1.4x tc and AF speed is very reliable and rapid. When I do have to resort to a 2x tc, even this will grudgingly AF when presented with a bright/contrasty subject, I also use another lens of f5.6 + 1.4x tc and AF is o.k for much of the time.

When there's no alternative I have stacked tc's in the past and I've seen guys triple stack and still get published...but you need some exceptional glass to get away with it.

Be aware of the consequences of longer focal length in terms of camera shake... this is even more of an issue with the 1.5x crop factor of dslr cameras. Even I.S. can only do so much. You can read a lot more on tc's for bird/wildlife photography at www.birdforum.net .... hopefully it's not regarded as a competitor to AVforums ;)

cheers

12. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    thanks for the replies guys. I have had a try out with a 1.4x & 2x tele now and with my 100-400 the 1.4 worked quite well, but the 2x was a waste of time really. AF was slow/if it worked at all and the quality was definitely softer.

I also tried out an L series 500mm lens with the 1.4 :thumbsup: and the resulting photo's were stunning. Needless to say when I go to NYC next I'll be visiting B&H Photo before going anywhere else! :smoke:

13. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
  14. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This is pretty much the definitive bird/wildlife lens... though I do know a few friends who use the 600mm version. These are huge beasts but the 500mm is quite a bit more manageable than the 600mm... with the latter a full Wimberley head is close to compulsory and you can have problems getting this on a plane as hand luggage. Officially, only the 600mm can be used on a tripod with I.S. switched on.
    All 500/600mm f4's are very heavy and it's no coincidence that a number of bird photographers suffer from back problems as they get older.

cheers,
    Andy

15. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    That's the beauty!

Average price in the UK is about £4,700. Go to NYC and B & H Photo in particular (anyone interested in photography has to go to this store and I guarantee you'll buy something!) and you can pick it up for $5,400, which with the current exchange rate that's over £1,500 less :eek:

Of course you then have to calmly slip by the customs when you return to avoid import tax and vat (not that I would ever do this of course) :nono:

16. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hand luggage?????????? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Attached Files:

17. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    16.5kgs and around around £60k.... most end up in the Middle East. Minimum focus is about 15m... that really put me off buying one :D

18. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I was only put off coz it had those big labels.... ;)

19. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Nice to see that Canon provide a free Sherpa though :laugh:

20. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I guess thats a 1200mm,

the 500mm f4 are in the boxes behind the lens sherpa :)

Bet they dont sell many 1200mm

Mark.

21. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    *drool* canon 1200mm

22. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think the 1200mm f5.6 is basically made to order, last I heard was that there are about 30 of them scattered around the world (like i said, most in oil rich states in middle east). Imagine how much you'd have to pay for insuring this?