1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SLR or Compact ?? Olympus or Canon ?????????

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Juiceloose, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy my first digital camera. I currently have a Canon EOS 300 with Canon wide angle and telephoto lenses. Whilst I'm happy with the camera I can't really be bothered to carry the kit around with me all of the time.

I rarely take pictures of people but do take a lot of landscape shots etc. when on holiday. I also attend airshows and take pictures of aircraft on the ground and also in flight during a display.

Will a compact digital camera be able to take a picture of a plane in flight without blurring the image or will I need to buy a digital SLR such as the EOS300D ?

If a compact will cope with aircraft shots I have narrowed it down to 3:

Canon G6
    Canon S70 (like the wide angle lense for landscapes)
    Olympus 770 (long zoom lense for airshows)

Any advice as to whether to stick with digital SLR or which of the three compacts would best suit my needs would be very gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks,

Steve.

2. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Ivor,

Thanks for the link.

Having compared all three they look fairly similar apart from pixels being substantially lower and the zoom substantially longer on the Olympus.

Would I notice a far worse picture quality on the Olympus due to lower pixel count ??

Can a compact cope with snapping fast moving aircraft ??

Thanks again.

Steve.

4. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Sorry to butt in but have you considered the Panasonic FZ20?
    Recent review on Steves digicams rated it the closest you can get to digital SLR quality in a "compact".
    I purchased one about 2 months ago and find the picture quality is superb thanks to the Leica 12 x zoom lens, and shopping around on the internet found my local Jessops store willing to price match down to £349.00 from their advertised £449.00!!
    There aren't many reviews on the camera yet because it is such a new model but what there are, are well worth tracking down.
    Another nice thing about this camera (which would obviously help in your aerial photography) is that shutter lag is minimal.
    Very good low light capabilities as well.
    Apologies if I confuse the issue but would recommend you take a look at the price.
    Rob

5. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Rob,

Thanks for the information.

I will read the review on Steves digicams and add it to my shortlist.

I note your comment about shutterlag. Given that I have never used a diital camera, do most compacts generally suffer from shutter lag ??

Cheers,

Steve.

6. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Steve
    shutter lag is one of the biggest problems with digital compacts. I bought a Fuji earlier this year which had a brilliant lens and the picture quality was superb but the dreaded lag was my reason for changing. Some cameras are better than others where this is concerned, but they will all suffer from it to a certain degree.
    I didn't want to make the same mistake twice and to be honest Panasonic wasn't a name that even entered my head when I was looking for a replacement for the Fuji, I too was thinking Canon, Olympus, Nikon etc.
    I find a good source of reviews is a visit to www.internetcamerasdirect.co.uk which will not only give a good indication of discounted prices, but will also give links to reviews from other independant sources.
    I find Steves digicams particularly good for reviews and there is a link to another review site (can't remember their name :blush: ) and this is as good a place as any to start your homework.
    With regard purchasing the camera I will always try to use my local Jessops branch if possible. They do operate a "price match" system and I do feel a little more comfortable purchasing locally should I get any problems at some future date.
    I would like to update to a digital SLR at sometime in the future (when the prices become more realistic) but at the moment I find this Panasonic to be superb.
    The 12 x zoom as I mentioned really gets you close to the action, Leica lenses are one of the best lenses out there, and the menu functions are easily understood for a numpty like me!
    So read the reviews, check how they report on "shutter lag" and also DO NOT BUY A DIGITAL CAMERA WITHOUT AN AUTOFOCUS ASSIST LAMP!!!
    Another area that the Fuji was let down was it's lack of the above and low light focusing was terrible. I couldn't use it at either a party or a firework display that I attended because of this, where my wife's cheapy Samsung was snapping away merrily.
    Hope this helps mate
    Rob

7. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Rob,

Thank you for the quick response.

I really do fancy a fairly compact digital with reasonable pixel count and good zoom capabilities primarily for the ease of carrying it around in my pocket.

However, given your comments about shutter lag, I'm now beginning to wonder whether it would be better to forget size and just invest in the Canon 300D SLR to go with the Canon lenses that I already have.

Decisions, decisions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for your help and comments.

Steve.

8. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Steve
    don't give up on the idea of a compact all together mate.
    Shutter lag is getting better as newer models come out and as I said in an earlier post, some models suffer much less than others.
    Just a point to note

9. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Skip the toy camera, go for the SLR.. :smashin:

You say your main subjects are landscapes and aircraft....mine too!
    I looked long and hard at the compacts, but landscapes need high pixels for good detail, aircraft need good glass and no shutter lag which compacts all suffer from badly.

As you have some Canon lenses already, these will go on a 300D no probs.
    If you are used to an 'analogue' SLR, you will be deeply disapointed with compact results. Would you get rid of a 32" widescreen TV for a 12" 'compact'....I think not!

If you want to be convinced, look here..

http://www.airliners.net/search/pho...rnet.com&sort_order=views&distinct_entry=true

All taken with a 300D and 'kit' lens, and an affordable Canon 75-300 USM

No contest with a compact.........they take snaps...SLR will take pictures. :lesson:

10. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    I agree entirely with Johndm. Compacts are for snaps and DSLR take photos. :D

Also, good as the FZ-20 is, don't expect to put it in your pocket. :smashin:

11. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Thanks John (great aircaft photographs) and Witters.

Will go with the 300D for main photographs.

Still want a compact to stick in my pocket for those quick and easy shots. Think the Canon S70 is the most compact of those in my original shortlist.

Any views ??

Cheers,

Steve.

12. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Good choice with the 300D...you will not be disapointed.. :clap:

Don't know much about the compacts, but impulse bought my 12 year old son a Canon A400 for Christmas. Not bad for a 'snappy' and only just over £100.

I noticed though that the A400 takes squarer pictures, presumably to fit better on a TV or computer monitor??? whereas my 300D produces picture sized pictures if you get my drift?

Thanks for the comment on my aircraft pics, I try and put a link up whenever somone wants to see what a DSLR can do....and it bumps my hit count when all you nice people take a look from time to time.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just got a 100-400L lens for Chrimbo, so hope to get some better/sharper shots in 2005. Persuaded the missus to go to an airshow on the second day of our holiday next spring in Chino California..............now I just need to pick up a Canon 28-70mm L USM Lens f2.8 to get those landscape shots at the Grand Canyon.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

13. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You've made the right choice with the 300D, and you'll be making the right choice if you go for the S70 for the compact.

14. Gjn200

Gjn200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My xmas pressy, olympus c 60, the shutter lag is unnoticeable.

15. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Steve,

300D is a great choice for the price :)

If you are not in a hurry for a DSLR, maybe buy the S70 compact now for snapshots, and wait and see what happens with the 300D a month or so after the rebate offers finish ;)

Mark.

16. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Mark,

"Wait to see what happens with 300D a month or so after the cashback offer finishes ?? "

Spill the beans !!!

Something is obviously on the horizon. Do you know what ?? Is it worth it to wait ????

Cheers,

Steve.

17. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It may well be that it's to be replaced, or the D20 has put a dint in its sales. Doubt that though

18. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I am only guessing !

But here are a few pointers.

In 2003 there was a voucher offer on the 10D, the 300D was announced just as the 10D offers expired.

The 300D was announced in August/September 2003, its now 2005, that is a long time for an entry level digital SLR.

The 20D has an 8 megapixel sensor, I dont see canon continuing to produce both a 6 megapixel (300D) sensor and an 8 megapixel sensor, so I guess they will replace the 300D with something using the same sensor chip as 20D, but in a lightweight body similar to 300D, for less money than a Nikon D70.

Nikon have the D70, Canon dont want people buying that !
    For new buyers of DSLR, its a tough choice between a Nikon D70 and 300D.
    Canon want to continue to be the best.

Voucher offers all around the world on the 300D.
    Maybe Canon are clearing as many 300D as possible before announcing a new model.

All just speculation, but I think a new model is due very soon.

A new model does not make the 300D a bad camara of course, its a bargain for the price !
    And the 300D will continue to take great pictures long after a new model has been announced.

But if not in a hurry to buy a 300D now, waiting to either buy a new model for similar price as 300D is now, or buying a used 300D as soon as people start selling used 300D's to buy whatever new model is out might be a good idea.

Look what has happened to 10D prices now the 20D is in good supply, you cant shift a 10D for half the new price you paid.

DSLR prices are tumbling and thats great for new buyers :)

Mark.

19. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    keep away from olympus cameras, mine appears to be broken and im not happy, add that the the fact it appears impossible to remove noise from the pictures run away as quickly as you possibly can

sorry im on a huge moan about cameras now

anyone know where i can find £2k fast? otherwise im gonna have to jack in photography all together for the next 7months or so

20. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'd go with the 300D all day long, I want one to but will have to wait until March :(.
    BTW,I took my Jenoptik 1.3mp digital camera out with me on new years eve, (I bought it about 3 years ago, at huge expense), and I was pleasantly surprised at the fireworks shots that I took with it,... and what a liberated feeling to have a pocket sized camera, that takes 10 squillion pictures to a 512mb card, and not have to cart around all of the accessories.
    have posted a shot in critique corner.

Happy new year everyone!!!!

21. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Ok folks,

Firstly thank you for all of your replies.

Having read them all I've decided to take wait on buying a digital SLR on the basis that the 300D maybe replaced shortly.

I will however be buying a Canon D70 for general snapshots and because I can carry it round with me.

As I know nothing about them apart from playing with one in Jessops yesterday I'm not sure what else I need in addition to the camera. The guy at Jessops advised to buy a 512MB card and spare lithium battery.

Is this good advice or will I be better buying two 256mb cards ?

Will I need anything additional to download my pics onto my home PC via the USB port i.e. a card reader of some sort ?

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

22. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Folks,

Sorry that should have read Canon S70 not D70.

Steve.

23. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    I think all makes of cameras break, just because one breaks that does not mean they all will or are more likely to break than any other make. I know a lot of highly delighted Olympus owners.

24. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very true Garrett, picked up a Olympus C-8080WZ the other day and its the top of the range prosumer model. Its one of the closest you can get to digital SLR and steves digicams loved it, as do I.

If you want compact I have casio exslim for out and about snaps about as compact as you can get!