slr for taking pictures

cheeks

Standard Member
good evening,

im looking for some advice on a new camera plese

over the last year or so, i have got into photography quite a bit, and now im going to treat myself to a slr.

after reading 1001 reviews on the net, im none the wiser of a camera that stands out to be the one to buy. it would seem that with every new model that comes out ( canon/nikon) it is the must have camera to have.

i do not need the movies on a camera, the camera will only be used for pictures.

ive been to a couple of shops and had a fiddle and tbh i didnt really find any brand of camera to have a better feel than the other.

the camera is going to be used for shooting mostly wildlife, so something that is robust is a must.

so the question really is, are the newer models of cameras really that much better picture cameras than the older models?or should i be looking at getting one of the slighty older models and spending the rest on lenses?

my budget id around 700/800 pounds, but im not in a rush so the budget could be stretched to slighty more.

im sorry for waffling on:oops:

and thanks to anyone who takes time to reply

ziplex

Novice Member
good evening,

im looking for some advice on a new camera plese

over the last year or so, i have got into photography quite a bit, and now im going to treat myself to a slr.

after reading 1001 reviews on the net, im none the wiser of a camera that stands out to be the one to buy. it would seem that with every new model that comes out ( canon/nikon) it is the must have camera to have.

i do not need the movies on a camera, the camera will only be used for pictures.

ive been to a couple of shops and had a fiddle and tbh i didnt really find any brand of camera to have a better feel than the other.

the camera is going to be used for shooting mostly wildlife, so something that is robust is a must.

so the question really is, are the newer models of cameras really that much better picture cameras than the older models?or should i be looking at getting one of the slighty older models and spending the rest on lenses?

my budget id around 700/800 pounds, but im not in a rush so the budget could be stretched to slighty more.

im sorry for waffling on:oops:

and thanks to anyone who takes time to reply
I'm in a similar position as I want to upgrade my D80 for a tougher/faster camera, I have been looking hard at a Nikon D300....only available s/h now but in your budget for the body only. May be worth checking out?

moonrakerz

Novice Member
it would seem that with every new model that comes out ( canon/nikon) it is the must have camera to have.
10 out of 10 on your part ! Pure sales hype to get you to spend more money.

so the question really is, are the newer models of cameras really that much better picture cameras than the older models?
Absolutely not ! But Jessops will tell you the exact opposite, of course.

or should i be looking at getting one of the slighty older models and spending the rest on lenses?
Very sensible.

my budget id around 700/800 pounds.............the budget could be stretched to slighty more.
Spend half of that on the camera and the rest on a good second lens/tripod/accessories.
Would suggest you buy the "bottom of the range" Nikon or Canon. Both are very good cameras and are well supported by a good range of "Independent" (ie: cheaper) lens manufacturers such as Sigma and Tamron which you may well want to add a little later.
( I bought a 500mm Sigma lens for my Nikon for less than £800, the Nikkor equivalent is over £4000)

Use that camera for a good couple of years - forget all the hype you will read about upgrading to the latest model, then YOU will have a good idea of what you will need for the future - it may well be the one that you have got already !!

ABOVE ALL - DON'T fall for the old "the more pixels the better line" - it is pure b******t. (Google it - and read the true story !)

My personal choice would be:

Nikon D3100 18-55 VR Kit - The Nikon D3100 from a Nikon Premier Dealer
and either
the 55 - 200 or 55 - 300 VR Nikkor lenses to go with it. (depending on the size of your budget)

or if you prefer red advertising on you camera strap instead of yellow - get the Canon equivalents.

Have fun !:D

cheeks

Standard Member
thanks very much for the replys guys, after speaking to my grandad who has a friend who does quite a bit of photography, he managed to produce a brand new Canon EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS Lens free of charge to get me on my way. so the brand of camera has been made for me (not that i am complaining). have been looking at the canon 500d, which can be picked up for about 400 pounds, body only, then the rest on another lens.

cheeks

Standard Member
thanks mate, noticed in a earlier thread that you owned a 500d, was just trying to find out to pm you for a bit more info.

is the picture quality that much better on the 550d, than the 500d to warrant the extra 150 pounds?

Jammyb

Novice Member
I don't know if it's worth an extra £150, but if you look at the in UK hong kong grey imports on eBay the difference is more like £60 (£465 for a 550D)

You're getting a newer 18mp sensor with a marginally better high ISO performance, much better metering system and a nicer screen. Plus the video mode is a lot better and has a mic port.

senu

Distinguished Member
thanks mate, noticed in a earlier thread that you owned a 500d, was just trying to find out to pm you for a bit more info.

is the picture quality that much better on the 550d, than the 500d to warrant the extra 150 pounds?
Yes, I would not upgrade to a 550 from 500D but would not if buying new not get the 550D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom